Search

Fairmont Singapore or Shangri-La Valley Wing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: continental one pass, delta skymiles, platinum american express
Fairmont Singapore or Shangri-La Valley Wing

Happy Holidays to all,

I want to travel to Singapore with my wife and 9 year old daughter and have narrowed it down to the Fairmont or Shangri-la Valley Wing for a hotel. Are they both comparable? Which is in a better location? Also, which is better for my child (pool, kid's activities, kid friendly food)? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:10 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Location-wise I would say Fairmont, though I'm not a big fan of this hotel in Singapore as I consider it quite average.

Shangri-La has a better pool by a light year, no comparison even. But it's a bit out of the way if you intend to walk everywhere (though not so much if you will be focusing on Orchard Road). I have only stayed in the Garden Wing though which is great. The pool and surrounding area there is really nice, with lots of greenery and a great atmosphere to spend some time relaxing by the pool. They might even have a mini-golf there, but overall if you intend to head for a dip, even with kids, then this is a good choice. The Fairmont is a place where you don't even feel like staying by the pool as it's nothing special.

If you are keen on the Fairmont for some reason (the rooms there are what impressed me least) then the Swissotel The Stamford is right next door (both hotels share the same pool) and might be worth a look if you can get a better rate. Both hotels are somehow connected when it comes to ownership, and I believe they even credit stays in each other's loyalty programs.

Personally I like the Swissotel Merchant Court on Clarke Quay as the pool there is great, and you're located right on the river, where there are plenty of options to eat and you can go on great walks alongside the water.

As for kid's activities you will probably want to go to Universal Studios on Sentosa. As for food I'd say any food court (every mall has one) will be great for kids unless you're after fast-food chains, but those can be found everywhere too.

Watch out for driving standards while you're there, especially with kids. You need to be extra careful and aware as a pedestrian.

Last edited by aster; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:17 am
Old Dec 28, 2011, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aster
Location-wise I would say Fairmont, though I'm not a big fan of this hotel in Singapore as I consider it quite average.

Shangri-La has a better pool by a light year, no comparison even. But it's a bit out of the way if you intend to walk everywhere (though not so much if you will be focusing on Orchard Road). I have only stayed in the Garden Wing though which is great. The pool and surrounding area there is really nice, with lots of greenery and a great atmosphere to spend some time relaxing by the pool. They might even have a mini-golf there, but overall if you intend to head for a dip, even with kids, then this is a good choice. The Fairmont is a place where you don't even feel like staying by the pool as it's nothing special.

If you are keen on the Fairmont for some reason (the rooms there are what impressed me least) then the Swissotel The Stamford is right next door (both hotels share the same pool) and might be worth a look if you can get a better rate. Both hotels are somehow connected when it comes to ownership, and I believe they even credit stays in each other's loyalty programs.

Personally I like the Swissotel Merchant Court on Clarke Quay as the pool there is great, and you're located right on the river, where there are plenty of options to eat and you can go on great walks alongside the water.

As for kid's activities you will probably want to go to Universal Studios on Sentosa. As for food I'd say any food court (every mall has one) will be great for kids unless you're after fast-food chains, but those can be found everywhere too.

Watch out for driving standards while you're there, especially with kids. You need to be extra careful and aware as a pedestrian.
Thanks for the great advice! Is the Shangri-La near the historic center?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I´ve stayed at the Fairmont SIN a few times (and am staying there right now, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM and I´m happy to look into it), and have been pretty pleased overall.

However, your experience will greatly depend on what room category you´re planning to book.

Executive Club rooms are pretty nice: great views, very good (western-style) full breakfast and some hot food and comp. drinks in the evening. Best feature is that all guests staying in a suite get comp. lounge access, too.

regular rooms are ok IMO, but nothing to get excited about, many good options in SIN.

there are some great suites (see my profile for some photos of the Penthouse suite I was lucky enough to be upgraded to during me previous stay), and again the views from floors 20 and higher are pretty amazing.

One major advantage of the Fairmont SIN / the Swissotel Stamford (which are indeed owned by the same company) is the great location.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I´ve stayed at the Fairmont SIN a few times (and am staying there right now, so if you have any specific questions, feel free to drop me a PM and I´m happy to look into it), and have been pretty pleased overall.

However, your experience will greatly depend on what room category you´re planning to book.

Executive Club rooms are pretty nice: great views, very good (western-style) full breakfast and some hot food and comp. drinks in the evening. Best feature is that all guests staying in a suite get comp. lounge access, too.

regular rooms are ok IMO, but nothing to get excited about, many good options in SIN.

there are some great suites (see my profile for some photos of the Penthouse suite I was lucky enough to be upgraded to during me previous stay), and again the views from floors 20 and higher are pretty amazing.

One major advantage of the Fairmont SIN / the Swissotel Stamford (which are indeed owned by the same company) is the great location.
Very beautiful room! Is the executive club lounge the same thing as the Conceirge lounge in other Fairmont Hotels? Also, is the Fairmont near Orchard Road and is this a convenient area to stay in? Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by rtlaw
Very beautiful room! Is the executive club lounge the same thing as the Conceirge lounge in other Fairmont Hotels? Also, is the Fairmont near Orchard Road and is this a convenient area to stay in? Thanks!
I´ve found the location of the Fairmont hotel to be very convenient, it´s literally on top of Raffles shopping center and across the street from the famous Raffles hotel. The hotel is about 5min away on foot to Orchard Rd. and maybe 10-15min to the Marina Bay Sands complex. Besides, public transport is very good and taxis are cheap (compared to the western world, not so much compared with other Asian places)

The lounge concept at the Fairmont SIN is slightly different:

- most Fairmont hotels have a Gold lounge. "Gold" is marketed as a "hotel within a hotel" and access is very restrictive. You need to book a Gold room or Gold suite to get access and there´s no way to access via upgrades/status (just to put things in perspective: I´ve been upgraded to some very nice suites over the years, but not once have I been upgraded to a Gold room or received lounge access). Service and food quality tend to be excellent, though the selection and quantity can be somewhat limited IMO (think of a buffet consisting of high-end canapes rather than a substitute for dinner). There´s only a honor bar, no comp. drinks

- at the Fairmont SIN there´s an "executive club". Obviously guests booking an executive club room/suite have access, but also all guests staying in a suite get comp. access (which includes guests upgrading to a suite^), the lounge (located on the 23rd floor) definitely is bigger than most Gold lounges, and isn´t as nice/exclusive, the food isn´t as aspirational, which is fine with me (think bowl of pasta bolognese rather than seafood canapes), but selection is larger (4-5 hot breakfast items in addition to excellent continental spread in the morning; 3 hot items at night), plus you get comp. drinks from 5p.m.-8p.m.^

It may not be the very best hotel in the city, but the value proposition tends to be good and I´ve been very happy with my stays overall.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I've stayed in both... Fairmont last summer and Valley Wing a few years ago. The Fairmont has a more convenient and centralized location, and sits atop a large shopping mall, across the street from Raffles, etc. Rooms are fine though a little dated.

The Shangri-la is more elegant and grander, with much nicer grounds and pool, though it is farther away and a good walk to Orchard Row. But the Valley Wing is the best... we were upgraded as Golden Circle members and it was awesome; much nicer room... as one of the staff said: "you are kings and queens". Breakfast, afternoon champagne and appetizers, etc. made it special. And staff were very attentive.

Enjoy Singapore!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The OP might want to check the score on lounge access for kids if this is of interest - my enquiries of this in Singapore have come back showing them as being rather strict in not allowing access for under 18's, although this was a few years ago.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The OP might want to check the score on lounge access for kids if this is of interest - my enquiries of this in Singapore have come back showing them as being rather strict in not allowing access for under 18's, although this was a few years ago.
They should be fine at the Swissotel, especially the CQ one.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I just think the OP should check, that's all...

from the Pan Pacific Orchard's website, for example:
Club Lounge Policy
Children under the age of 12 are not recommended in the Pacific Club Lounge and some restrictions may apply. Please do not hesitate to contact the Hotel for more details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.