FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Book the Cook 2005 - 2019 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/493018-book-cook-2005-2019-a.html)

Kiwi Flyer Oct 19, 2017 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb (Post 28953893)
Book the Cook is now available for flights departing AKL, effective 13 October. No Japanese meal but lobster thermidor is available in F (only seafood thermidor in J), plus a small selection of other mains.

That is good news (assuming not just a token effort). Catering ex-AKL is generally quite good so I have high hopes.

SkyTeam777 Oct 20, 2017 1:13 am

Anyone had the pistachio-crusted paneer?

drvannostren Oct 23, 2017 10:32 pm

So...I recently got a chance to fly SQ biz for the first time.

KUL-SIN-ICN

I purposely added on the KUL-SIN route cuz I wanted to try the A350, while I didn't really understand the seat and couldn't get it to sleep mode, I loved the look and TV etc.

Booked the cook on the 330 overnight to ICN. I'm a totally uncultured swine when it comes to food, plenty of J food doesn't interest me at all, so I booked the Angus burger.

Wow, what a joke I must say. For one, the side it came with was just those tomatoes. I didn't see any mushrooms, I don't think, wouldn't have wanted them if they were there, and it came with the onions on top. No sauces at all with it. It was also fatty and reheated (?) I guess, on the plate that it was served on. The result being, melted fat all over the plate and the lower bun soaking it up, leaving it soggy and inedible.

Honestly, I picked it because I thought it would be pretty neutral and I thought a burger would be a pretty easy thing to even have on a plane. Dead wrong. Shoulda just picked the chicken that I originally was gonna have.

Bfhause Oct 24, 2017 10:51 am

Does anybody have any recent experiences with Book the Cook ex-LAX? Flying LAX-ICN in a couple weeks. Deciding between Boston Lobster Thermidor, Veal Chops and the Sushi.

estnet Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bfhause (Post 28970853)
Does anybody have any recent experiences with Book the Cook ex-LAX? Flying LAX-ICN in a couple weeks. Deciding between Boston Lobster Thermidor, Veal Chops and the Sushi.

I recently asked about the Japanese menu on this route and got no response:(

Mlee888 Oct 24, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bfhause (Post 28970853)

I do LAX-SIN every 3 months either via ICN or NRT and never seen Boston Lobster Thermidor as an option.....

The steaks are probably best in my experience. Steamed crab ravioli was delicious but it’s always too small a portion for me.

Bfhause Oct 24, 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 28972640)
I do LAX-SIN every 3 months either via ICN or NRT and never seen Boston Lobster Thermidor as an option.....

The steaks are probably best in my experience. Steamed crab ravioli was delicious but it’s always too small a portion for me.

That's ironic. I don't have the option for a steak...:( which is really what I was hoping for.

estnet Oct 25, 2017 2:39 am

?Weird - lax-icn flight #2 has no steak as an option nor crab ravioli but does list lobster???

Mlee888 Oct 25, 2017 5:32 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 28973882)
?Weird - lax-icn flight #2 has no steak as an option nor crab ravioli but does list lobster???

Guessing you guys are using first class?

In J these are the options from LA.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...s-los-angeles/

estnet Oct 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Mlee888 (Post 28974230)
Guessing you guys are using first class?

In J these are the options from LA.

https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...s-los-angeles/

Yes, that's the disconnect. Sort of weird that they'd offer steak in J but not F:confused:

wavery83 Oct 27, 2017 4:43 pm

I bow to superior palates here but I’m seeing lots of Thermidor and steak - all from the USA. Now I’m departing Singapore (country of origin most and one would assume the best selection. What concerns me is that neither a steak (particularly) or lobster would be something I would assume to be well served in a microwave at 30k ft and shipped in a freezer from the US

Realistically what are the best options given conditions and freshness of produce? Something from Singapore one would assume?

quemalo Oct 27, 2017 5:36 pm

Any recommendations for F on the FRA-JFK leg? My wife loves duck, so I was thinking about getting her the honey glazed duckling, but I don't know if I should get the suckling pig, or go with the usual lobster.

chrisny2 Oct 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by quemalo (Post 28985716)
Any recommendations for F on the FRA-JFK leg? My wife loves duck, so I was thinking about getting her the honey glazed duckling, but I don't know if I should get the suckling pig, or go with the usual lobster.

I very much liked the suckling pig. I haven't heard anything about the duckling, so I don't have a basis for comparison. See my photo and note here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28114719-post789.html

demue Oct 28, 2017 11:59 am

Originally Posted by quemalo (Post 28985716)

I did a Lobster sampling a while back on SIN-FRA-JFK. Had lobster in the TPR, as first meal from SIN and as first meal from FRA. Interestingly, the lobster from FRA was the biggest, juiciest and best tasting one (very good) while the one from SIN was just okay. TPR lobster was in between.

kaffir76 Oct 29, 2017 7:49 am

My experience @ 10/13 - SINSFOSIN

Originally Posted by wavery83 (Post 28985589)
I bow to superior palates here but I’m seeing lots of Thermidor and steak - all from the USA. Now I’m departing Singapore (country of origin most and one would assume the best selection. What concerns me is that neither a steak (particularly) or lobster would be something I would assume to be well served in a microwave at 30k ft and shipped in a freezer from the US

Realistically what are the best options given conditions and freshness of produce? Something from Singapore one would assume?

I assume you are not from SE Asia, because everything we eat in Singapore is imported from the region & other parts of the world; except maybe for 10%-15% of our (local leafy) green vegetables ..
However your are correct in saying that the lobster isn't super fresh & doesn't re-heat well. It was kinda mushy & sad. And I'm not quite sure if it was my tastebuds gone bonkers but when I had it exSIN, I could have sworn there was some curry flavour in it :confused::confused:
I'm not trying to be snarky but if you really wanted something "from Singapore" it would be the noodle soups with local green leafy vegetables, even the wantons aren't local (the wanton skins might be made locally, but the meat filling in the wanton is most likely pork from Indonesia)

I concur, I had the steak twice on the flight from SFOSIN as the other items didn't look that appetising.

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 28968909)
So...I recently got a chance to fly SQ biz for the first time.

KUL-SIN-ICN

I purposely added on the KUL-SIN route cuz I wanted to try the A350, while I didn't really understand the seat and couldn't get it to sleep mode, I loved the look and TV etc.

Booked the cook on the 330 overnight to ICN. I'm a totally uncultured swine when it comes to food, plenty of J food doesn't interest me at all, so I booked the Angus burger.

Wow, what a joke I must say. For one, the side it came with was just those tomatoes. I didn't see any mushrooms, I don't think, wouldn't have wanted them if they were there, and it came with the onions on top. No sauces at all with it. It was also fatty and reheated (?) I guess, on the plate that it was served on. The result being, melted fat all over the plate and the lower bun soaking it up, leaving it soggy and inedible.

Honestly, I picked it because I thought it would be pretty neutral and I thought a burger would be a pretty easy thing to even have on a plane. Dead wrong. Shoulda just picked the chicken that I originally was gonna have.

You took the exact words right out of my mouth/mind! And thanks for posting, so I didn't have to :D
Tho' my burger (exSIN as well), came with a grilled (albeit sloshy) portobello mushroom on top as well as the onions (caramelised, I presume).
The lower bun was soggy, so I just picked at the beef patty.
It was ... sloshy too.
Fortunately it was the 1st meal of the flight, & since we departed at 9.30am-ish, I wasn't really hungry. The hot food buffet at the SKL was pretty varied & sumptuous, so I suggest having a bite to eat at the lounge before boarding

p/s I did not see the bubbly in the morning, tho' the white & red wines were available. Did not bother to ask as I didn't see any staff walking around, & it was too early for me. All I wanted was black coffee :D