Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pogonation
I think most points mentioned in the OP are mainly ‘bells and whistles’ that don’t massively improve the experience for a regular business flyer.

It usually comes down to the basics.. Efficient ground service (fast track, no queues to check in etc.), professional boarding, good onboard service, quality food and drink, comfortable seats with direct aisle access, fast transfer times at hub airport or efficient ground services at the other end so you are at your destination quicker. All these things are much more important.

Fancy things like chauffeurs are nice but means you will be picked up on their time rather than your own and can’t arrive at the airport 45 mins before departure.

SQ does all the above pretty well and consistently but I do agree they are one of the most overrated airlines. They have successfully built their brand and so many people believe it is the best out there. Personally I consider a lot of airlines to be better.. QR, BR, JL, NH are all examples. I also don’t notice much of a difference when flying CX, TG, MH.
Thank you for your input!! Your input is my favorite, most convincing and most logical, sensible!! Totally agree!!^
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:05 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Surely the op is on a fishing expedition? And a few of us have taken the bait.
moondog, lokijuh, RTWFF and 1 others like this.

Last edited by davidj1; Jul 2, 2019 at 3:51 am
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1
Surely the op is on a fishing expedition? And a few of us has taken the bait.
This is just a discussion. Always welcome your inputs!!
Saw this discussion threads online:

My first (and last) experience with Singapore Air (J class):
My first (and last) experience with Singapore Air (J class)

Last edited by vsepr; Jul 2, 2019 at 7:52 pm
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Had my first SQ flight in 1993 and it’s always been a pleasure. Very competent crew, friendly check-in staff, decent food, clean cabins, great IFE. I even find their J seats comfy, even though it would be nice to not have to flip them to get the bed out. The few things I dislike are rather insignificant: no windows in the SilverKris lounge (as an avgeek I want to watch planes), no choice of starter and the silly idea of waking up people mid flight to serve a meal on daytime flights to Europe.

As to caviar it’s my one food allergy, something proved on my SIN-LHR flight when despite scraping it off my piece of salmon it still ruined the rest of the otherwise great but badly timed lunch service.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by davidj1
Surely the op is on a fishing expedition? And a few of us have taken the bait.
It's been an entertaining read at least. And Ill concede no PJ's in J is a bummer on longhaul. If Delta is giving PJ's now SQ needs to step it up there for flights over 8 hours or so.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
IMO the worst thing about SQ J is the twist seat. I honestly cannot understand how anyone thought that a seat where you have to twist yourself once you recline is a good idea. Thankfully I have been able to get the front row on all the 'guilty' aircraft lately, but if it weren't for that, I'm rather miserable. Everything else negative about SQ pales in comparison IMO.

Originally Posted by chisquared
I know people claim that metal spoons change the way caviar tastes, but I'm pretty sceptical. Caviar is stored and sold in metal tins. However, even if using a metal spoon affects the taste of caviar, a mother-of-pearl spoon isn't your only option. A wooden spoon will do, so your second claim is just not true.
Porcelain spoon works well, too.

I'm of the camp that dislikes metal spoons, although that's with anything - I can taste the metal - not just with caviar. I can sometimes taste wood too, so my preference is firmly porcelain or MoP.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:57 pm

SQ is a good airline but has too many faults to really be considered anywhere close to a "best airline".

some of my takes on SQ
1. In Biz, no amenity kits or pajamas even in long flights.
Some terrible seats like those which force people to sit or sleep at an angle due to the cubby hole.
Some of the regional planes such as A330 still have angled seats when the competition already has lie flats for years.
At least SQ is finally phasing those out.

2. In Y, very tight leg space when airlines like JL, OZ, KE offer more leg space.
Prices are almost always higher as well.
The last time i flew in SQ Y a few years ago, ended up with a plane with the old rotating movie selections which arent avod, tight leg space, just ok food and service which did not clear the trays even two hours after food was served.
It was really bad service.

3. F class is the only redeeming feature of SQ.
but even that is offset by the ever rising cost of points needed for redemption. Two high increases in two years i think?
Availability is also rather sketchy on most routes.

Add everything up and im not sure that SQ really deserve "best airline".
MKE-MR likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:26 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm of the camp that dislikes metal spoons, although that's with anything - I can taste the metal - not just with caviar. I can sometimes taste wood too, so my preference is firmly porcelain or MoP.
If you're that camp why not use your fingers?
moondog and davidj1 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Even an ex-SQ Inflight Manager, now retired turned blogger agrees to some of the posts in this thread:

Singapore Airlines (SIA) stories of stewardesses, stewards of more than 10 years by Boh Tong

Singapore Airlines (SIA) stories of stewardesses, stewards of more than 10 years by Boh Tong : The world's most OVERRATED airline - Singapore Airlines
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:00 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Some of the regional planes such as A330 still have angled seats when the competition already has lie flats for years..
Oh the travesty of having to endure angled flat seats on flights such as SIN-BKK, CGK, SGN, MNL & KUL. I agree with the criticism regarding their use on longer routes such ADL, MEL/WLG, and Tokyo/ICN. But even then as recently as two years ago I've flown on "the competition" from their hubs to SIN, such as OZ and NH and had angled flat seats on OZ and recliner seats on overnight from HND to SIN. So suggesting that "the competition" has had lie flats for years is not true. In fact CX still operate reclinerr/cradle seats on their regional product. You can leave SIN on the redeye tonight that leaves around 1am, and you will be flying on a regional recliner seat to HKG. When was the last time SQ routinely operated with recliner/cradle seats between SIN & HKG?

I was trying to think of a carrier that has a fleet that is exclusively lie flat and the only one I can think of is Virgin Atlantic, there may be others of course. EK and TG don't have any recliner seats, but do operate angled flat seats on longer routes as well. BR only has recliners on their A321s, but rest is a mix of angled and fully flat seats.

Those unhappy with the A330 angled flat seat, better watch out next year, as Silk Air comes into the SQ fold. I am sure they will be still using the Silk Air cradle seats as they are in the process of upgrading the existing fleet, especially with the 737MAX8 woes. No doubt, this will cause a lot of grief for passengers, expecting to have their fully flat bed seat for their midday flight from SIN-KUL!!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
vsper - thing is that despite all of the things you mention in your opening post, the SQ experience from a crew perspective is still outstanding. SQ's crew don't have to rely on bells and whistles... be it soup or a choice between hot and cold towels. Their service is what sets them apart.

I was waiting for the WC one time by the galley and a crew member came back and said 'Mrs Bond is ready for her tea now'. It was a full cabin.

The galley crew knew exactly who that passenger was, and what the order for tea was. I dare say most other crews would be preparing meals by seat number, not passenger name.

That's the SQ difference.
Singapore_Air and DiamondMile like this.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Jul 3, 2019 at 5:59 am
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by RTWFF
If you're that camp why not use your fingers?
You could end up inadvertently squishing caviar with your fingers.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: ROP Gold
I am absolute not a big fan of amenity kits because I find them to be such a waste of resources.

However, what I do not understand being, why does SQ give it out for economy passengers and not give it out to business class passengers?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:14 pm

Very Good Question
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Originally Posted by anaidross
I am absolute not a big fan of amenity kits because I find them to be such a waste of resources.

However, what I do not understand being, why does SQ give it out for economy passengers and not give it out to business class passengers?
The pax in Y need something a little extra to survive cattle class. J folks can cry in their champagne or curl up on their lie-flat beds in foetal position if amenity kits are really going to push them to fly another airline.
moondog and ps107 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.