Wiki Posts
Search

HKG lounge refurbishment

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Gold
HKG lounge refurbishment

It seems like there is a refrubishment going on in HKG SQ's lounge? Anything new?
Old May 9, 2019, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They've been working on the restrooms and showers for something like two years now.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They've been working on the restrooms and showers for something like two years now.
That's a long time!
Old May 9, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Last week they sent me up to use either the Thai or United lounge. I think premium plaza was still an option but I fancied some Thai food so I used the TG lounge. They used gate 64 so pretty convenient.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by newshound
Last week they sent me up to use either the Thai or United lounge. I think premium plaza was still an option but I fancied some Thai food so I used the TG lounge. They used gate 64 so pretty convenient.
What is your opinion of the food at the Thai lounge?
Old May 10, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...t/?id=jusry19r

Temporary Closure of SilverKris Lounge at Hong Kong International Airport

The Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge in Hong Kong will be closed for minor renovation works from 28 April 2019 to early May 2019 (opening date to be confirmed). During the closure period, eligible customers will be invited to the following lounges:

Suites/First Class, Business Class, PPS Club and KrisFlyer Elite Gold members
Thai Airways Royal Orchid Lounge* (near Gate 40) or United Airlines United Club** (near Gate 60) or Plaza Premium Lounge (West Hall near Gate 40)

STAR Alliance Gold Members travelling on Singapore Airlines Economy Class
Thai Airways Royal Orchid Lounge (near Gate 40) or United Airlines United Club (near Gate 60)
Old May 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The *A lounge options at HKG are an embarrassment.

Should improve when UA opens a Polaris lounge, though I don't know that there's a specific schedule for that yet.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
I suppose it's not a terribly long closure but is it really so difficult for SQ to arrange access to the Plaza Premium First lounge over by Gate 1 for at least QPPS/TPPS?
Old May 11, 2019, 5:58 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
I thought *A (and tbh OW, too) has a pretty good lounge offering at HKG.
I mean consider their other Asian hubs or major cities, ICN, NRT, TPE, there don't seem to have more varieties than HKG (maybe except BKK?)

The shower room thing I remembered they were closed when I visited late last year. But when I was there in March, they went back for operations.

One thing I was really surprised is they didn't have the notice up early. At least I don't think there had been any notices when I visited SKL@HKG in Marh and early April.

Nonetheless, it really amazed me that SQ managed to move all its flights from their usually reserved gates around East Hall all the way to West Hall. Really impressive. (unlike EVA doesn't seem to be able to reserve convenient spots) Thumbs up to SQ.
Old May 11, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: SQ TPPS/*G, Starlux Explorer, (Almost Lifetime) Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tya
Nonetheless, it really amazed me that SQ managed to move all its flights from their usually reserved gates around East Hall all the way to West Hall. Really impressive. (unlike EVA doesn't seem to be able to reserve convenient spots) Thumbs up to SQ.
Moving all the gates just due to a lounge issue seems unlikely to me. I checked today's flights. The SQ flights departed from gates 7, 9, 7, 24, 5, 24, 7. SQ2 doesn't have a gate yet :-). Doesn't appear the flights have been moved from their usual gates - at least not today.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
The *A lounge options at HKG are an embarrassment.
Compared to what, CX in their own hub? The LH FCT at FRA?

If that’s your level of embarrassment, most airport lounges are pretty embarrassing. I haven’t disliked the *A lounges any time I’ve been in them.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If that’s your level of embarrassment, most airport lounges are pretty embarrassing. I haven’t disliked the *A lounges any time I’ve been in them.
For much of this year, neither SQ nor UA lounges have even had functioning restrooms. I consider that an embarrassment.

I've been to all three of these lounges, UC and SQ many, many times (TG I visited once and never found any reason to return). And yes, they fall far below the competition, i.e., the CX lounges at HKIA. They are also inferior to the *A options at BKK and NRT, to name two comparable Asian airports. I also find them inferior to LH Bus or Sen lounges in major airports where LH has a lounge.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:38 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by bpk6h
Moving all the gates just due to a lounge issue seems unlikely to me. I checked today's flights. The SQ flights departed from gates 7, 9, 7, 24, 5, 24, 7. SQ2 doesn't have a gate yet :-). Doesn't appear the flights have been moved from their usual gates - at least not today.
Oh okay. Maybe I was just lucky on the day when I checked. I was really thrilled how SQ is able to ask HKIA to facilitate all the changes lol Maybe not all that magical as I thought.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:18 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
What is your opinion of the food at the Thai lounge?
It used to be OK a few years back when I was in the lounge every week. I have to admit this time was pretty disappointing and the staff were being slow to replenish so the choice was limited.
Old May 15, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Any idea if the lounge is open yet? It's already past 'early May' and I'll be passing through next week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.