FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Split your bookings by individual passengers when redeeming on partners (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1966126-split-your-bookings-individual-passengers-when-redeeming-partners.html)

carrotjuice Apr 19, 2019 4:33 pm

Split your bookings by individual passengers when redeeming on partners

Having experienced this in recent months, thought I’d share so others don’t repeat my mistake.

When redeeming KF on partner airlines (be it *A or others) and multiple persons are travelling together, do book each person individually on separate PNRs.

I made the mistake of redeeming for multiple persons on one PNR some months back. But one person now is unable to travel and I wanted to separate that person from the booking thus cancel that person’s ticket. I was told that while this would’ve been possible for a redeemed SQ flight, KF is unable to do so for a partner airline flight! The only way is for the entire PNR to be cancelled - yes, affecting all passengers! - then rebook the remaining passengers on another PNR, but always subject to the partner airline’s availability of redeemable seats. KF wouldn’t be able to determine if any cancelled partner airline flights go back to the redeemable inventory to be immediately rebooked. So it’s a huge risk if you cancel the PNR for everyone just because one passenger is unable to travel, and then the other passengers could be left stranded because they end up losing their confirmed redemption tickets!

Upon further pressure, SQ got back to me with a workaround, albeit inelegant one. I was told the remaining passengers should proceed to travel, and after the travel date then call to cancel the redemption for that one passenger who could not travel. As concession SQ granted exception approval to waive the cancellation and no show fees. But they assured that the KF paid for that untravelled ticket will return to my account.

sammyg901 Apr 20, 2019 2:42 am

Yep - good PSA! I have been caught out on this. We cancelled the ticket but the seats didn't come back so the agent kindly contacted rev manager and opened a seat on SQ metal for me instead

carrotjuice Apr 20, 2019 4:45 am

Indeed. And I don’t think this is an issue that most KF agents (both India and Singapore) even know. I had made several calls each time speaking to different agent - and some actually were totally unaware until I told them. My partner airline redemption was booked by phone some months back, and the agent who helped me back then just went through the “standard” booking routine of asking how many passengers in what class, and booking them under one PNR. Or maybe they do, but just don’t bother because it’s obviously more work to book each person on individual PNRs.

I told them that they should clearly advise members of the implications, or otherwise automatically split into separate PNRs as standard modus operandi for partner flight redemptions.

fone Apr 20, 2019 7:22 pm

Nice to know this, since I'm having a *A redemption itinerary. However, I'm unable split up itinerary further, otherwise, my kids will become unaccompanied minors.

sammyg901 Apr 20, 2019 7:43 pm

I guess in that case it's unlikely they'd choose to go on the trip without you :D

But for us work commitments and trips mean we often travel on different itineraries to/from a holiday, sometimes with last minute changes, so always bear this in mind now

RTWFF Dec 27, 2021 11:23 pm

Splitting redemption booking on SQ

To put it another way, if the redemption had been for two passengers travelling together on SQ all the way it is possible to split the booking and have the second passenger travel on different dates or cancel their ticket altogether?

demue Dec 28, 2021 2:01 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF (Post 33848417)
To put it another way, if the redemption had been for two passengers travelling together on SQ all the way it is possible to split the booking and have the second passenger travel on different dates or cancel their ticket altogether?

Yes that should be possible. Before they can do any changes to the itinerary for the second passenger, they have to split the PNR and separate both.