Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Split your bookings by individual passengers when redeeming on partners

Old Apr 19, 19, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Having experienced this in recent months, thought Iíd share so others donít repeat my mistake.

When redeeming KF on partner airlines (be it *A or others) and multiple persons are travelling together, do book each person individually on separate PNRs.

I made the mistake of redeeming for multiple persons on one PNR some months back. But one person now is unable to travel and I wanted to separate that person from the booking thus cancel that personís ticket. I was told that while this wouldíve been possible for a redeemed SQ flight, KF is unable to do so for a partner airline flight! The only way is for the entire PNR to be cancelled - yes, affecting all passengers! - then rebook the remaining passengers on another PNR, but always subject to the partner airlineís availability of redeemable seats. KF wouldnít be able to determine if any cancelled partner airline flights go back to the redeemable inventory to be immediately rebooked. So itís a huge risk if you cancel the PNR for everyone just because one passenger is unable to travel, and then the other passengers could be left stranded because they end up losing their confirmed redemption tickets!

Upon further pressure, SQ got back to me with a workaround, albeit inelegant one. I was told the remaining passengers should proceed to travel, and after the travel date then call to cancel the redemption for that one passenger who could not travel. As concession SQ granted exception approval to waive the cancellation and no show fees. But they assured that the KF paid for that untravelled ticket will return to my account.

Last edited by carrotjuice; Apr 20, 19 at 4:39 am
Old Apr 20, 19, 2:42 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Yep - good PSA! I have been caught out on this. We cancelled the ticket but the seats didn't come back so the agent kindly contacted rev manager and opened a seat on SQ metal for me instead
Old Apr 20, 19, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Indeed. And I donít think this is an issue that most KF agents (both India and Singapore) even know. I had made several calls each time speaking to different agent - and some actually were totally unaware until I told them. My partner airline redemption was booked by phone some months back, and the agent who helped me back then just went through the ďstandardĒ booking routine of asking how many passengers in what class, and booking them under one PNR. Or maybe they do, but just donít bother because itís obviously more work to book each person on individual PNRs.

I told them that they should clearly advise members of the implications, or otherwise automatically split into separate PNRs as standard modus operandi for partner flight redemptions.
Old Apr 20, 19, 7:22 pm

Nice to know this, since I'm having a *A redemption itinerary. However, I'm unable split up itinerary further, otherwise, my kids will become unaccompanied minors.
Old Apr 20, 19, 7:43 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
I guess in that case it's unlikely they'd choose to go on the trip without you

But for us work commitments and trips mean we often travel on different itineraries to/from a holiday, sometimes with last minute changes, so always bear this in mind now

Search this Thread