Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCOOT Cancellations - notice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Question SCOOT Cancellations - notice?

Booked on TR3 SYD>SIN January 27 to connect onwards the following day to Europe. Checking the SCOOT website they currently show 'No Flights' on the 27th (or two days before) - but my booking is still fine and using "Change my Seat" there is plenty of space. Phoned the Call Centre and on the second (20 minute wait) attempt got an "Oh, I don't know" answer to why my booking was still fine, but no flights were showing. "I'' escalate it". The lady assured me I'd be given "48 hours notice" of cancellation - but looks like I've spotted it 23 days in advance. Is this just a SCOOT website Snafu, and the flight is still running, or have they cancelled it and just not told me yet? Of course, the sooner I book alternative flights the cheaper it will be - and I'm guessing 48 hours out that will not be the case. What notice have others had of Scoot cancellations?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Scoot still clueless. Messages to Twitter and on Facebook have had "we'll get back to you" replies - so I decided to use the "Check My Trip" app (powered by Amadeus) - which shows the flight cancelled. An email to Scoot "may take up to ten working days" for a reply. Curiously at midnight Jakarta time the SCOOT call centre "is still experiencing high volumes of calls" so after holding for 24 minutes the call drops. Looks like the flight is cancelled - but they haven't got round to telling anyone yet.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Mystery solved (at least I hope it is!) - email from Scoot:

Due to tighter aircraft utilization across our network, we have engaged Singapore Airlines to charter ourTR 2 Singapore-Sydney / TR 3 Sydney-Singapore flights from 01 to 31 January 2019 to minimize inconvenience to our guests and to ensure on-time performance. These flights will be operated with Singapore Airlines' Boeing 772 aircraft.

Last edited by kuningan; Jan 8, 2019 at 6:16 pm Reason: Format
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Next question - will I get bumped from a 340 seat 789 to a ±230 seat 772?

And Scoot have clearly known about this for weeks - quite possibly since they sent me a "schedule change" over a month ago in early December, yet have waited until less than a week before the outbound flight.

Their Call Centre (minimum 20 minute wait) has been clueless and none of the emails to "Customer Service" have had replies.
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

And on further digging - they've done this before:

Passengers impacted as Scoot wet leases Singapore Airlines 777 on Sydney route due to 787 engine issues

Highlights
  • Scoot is wet-leasing a 777 from Singapore Airlines to operate some Sydney-Singapore flights in Jun-2018;
  • Scoot has wet leased or chartered a 777 from SIA several times over the last two years to fill in for 787s that have been removed from service due to Rolls-Royce engine issues;
  • The SIA-operated flights are somewhat controversial as the service is paired down, with the IFE system and power outlets turned off and no drinks other than water available;
  • The flights are dry as no alcohol is provided or available for sale.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Goodness! Things are changing faster the the rest of us can follow. Good luck....
NetJets Germany likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Goodness! Things are changing faster the the rest of us can follow. Good luck....
Thank you! At least its not the cancellation I feared (and Amadeus/Check My Trip said) - and I understand sometimes these changes are necessary. What I don't understand is the atrocious communication. Their Twitter account answers very sparingly and selectively, compared for example to AirAsia which usually responds within a couple of hours. Heck LionAir's telephone service is better - I've had straight answers and minimal waits out of them before, while from Scoot I've waited in total more than an hour and had contradictory and wrong answers. Still waiting for an email response, but we're still within the '10 working days' they allow themselves.....so that's ok (sic)!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I've read that Scoot was bad but not that bad. I think I wrote them to ask why I could not access my booking (booked direct) and only eventually got a totally-useless (non) answer. Good thing nothing went wrong for the actual flight.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:35 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

You might be interested with this thread. Very similar situation really

TR8122 / SQ8122 - Scoot seemingly replaced with SQ charter
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:08 pm

Yes - you've been bumped to a SQ regional config 777-200. You can view your seat map in Expert Flyer if you want - flight no is now SQ8122 - I posted some info in that thread above and another poster posted a very detailed review!

From what I've seen they've been managing to accommodate everyone, the flights have gone out full in economy but with a bit of space in biz. So I wouldn't worry, worst case I assume you would be accommodated on SQ flights, of which there is one almost the same time
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
You might be interested with this thread. Very similar situation really

Thanks - I see there are few (if any) reviews of the experience so I'll post one when (if?) I get back.......At the moment the headline is feeling like something along the lines of 'Scoot, the RyanAir of Asia' - but we'll see.....I've flown them once before and they were OK - no better, but have had consistently good service and prompt updates and replies from AirAsia.....
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 10:49 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kuningan
Thanks - I see there are few (if any) reviews of the experience so I'll post one when (if?) I get back.......At the moment the headline is feeling like something along the lines of 'Scoot, the RyanAir of Asia' - but we'll see.....I've flown them once before and they were OK - no better, but have had consistently good service and prompt updates and replies from AirAsia.....
I think I'd agree with such a title honestly. I've flown with a few LCCs in South East Asia (Scoot, Jetstar, Lion), and my worst experience is with Scoot. The cabins seem tired, the crew (apart from the flight crew) were actually hostile (and on numerous occasions screamed at the passengers, including myself for grabbing something from my under seat bag during the taxi). Didn't help that at check-in I ran into a friend who was a few persons forward from me (but given the nature of the line being set up), I was essentially standing next to him and we chat a bit. I actually got screamed at by another passenger for being loud (despite my volume being low). Quite an awful flight I must say.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubeurope
I think I'd agree with such a title honestly. I've flown with a few LCCs in South East Asia (Scoot, Jetstar, Lion), and my worst experience is with Scoot.
AirAsia is consistently reliable and punctual in my experience. When I've had problems or questions they are easy to interact with either on the phone or via Twitter. LionAir not quite as good but often a lot cheaper and their punctuality has been transformed after a very rough patch. LionAir phone help is fine too - wait time 2-3 minutes and then helpful advice. In contrast Scoot call centres are always "experiencing higher call volumes than normal" so I've never had a wait under 20 minutes (even in the middle of the night) and then the staff are often ill- or un-informed, or the call drops and they don't call you back. Trying to reach them by email takes days - but they do try to respond "within 10 working days". After a week I've had a response on Twitter, but I can't DM them as they don't follow me.

I wonder if they're so frightened of poaching SQ they are deliberately making their customer service rubbish? Its the difference between a "low cost" carrier and a "cheap" one.

Here's hoping I'm pleasantly surprised!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Yes - you've been bumped to a SQ regional config 777-200. You can view your seat map in Expert Flyer if you want - flight no is now SQ8122 - I posted some info in that thread above and another poster posted a very detailed review!

From what I've seen they've been managing to accommodate everyone, the flights have gone out full in economy but with a bit of space in biz. So I wouldn't worry, worst case I assume you would be accommodated on SQ flights, of which there is one almost the same time
Thank you! That's more information in one post than I've got out of Scoot in a week! But I'm not holding my breath for getting on an SQ flight!
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:40 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this thread to the Singapore Airlines forum, where SCOOT operations are typically discussed.

The Moderator of that forum may choose to combine this thread with another suggested in the discussion such as this one

Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.