Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

USM Airport situation departing with MI in C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USM Airport situation departing with MI in C

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Question USM Airport situation departing with MI in C

Last year we hat a rather awful experience checking in at USM for a Bangkok Airlines Flight.
Despite having booked LH C, the connecting flight BKK-USM and RT is Y only. So there at the airport no priority C/I, slow service, long queues, 1h+ standing in the heat and finally rush to the gate made me sweaty all over, all though we where at the airport 1,5h before departure time. Not what one would like to have at the and of a great vacation.
So this year we decided to book SQ C with the advantage of having a connecting flight in C SIN-USM-SIN, hoping to avoid the crowds.
Can anyone confirm, that MI provides a decent service at USM for C PAX?
We stay at the Conrad Samui. Would it be sufficient to leave there at about 9 am for the flight MI773 to SIN departing 12:05?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:08 am

Not been to USM myself but have travelled MI a number of times. Every airport I’ve been to for MI they have a separate check in counter for business class.

Airports where I’ve used MI -

Shenzhen
Phuket
Phnom Penh
pmeye likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Business class check-in at USM is very quick. You don't get any line cuts at immigration. If you get to USM 90 minutes prior to departure, you will be fine.
pmeye likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, GA Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Business class check-in at USM is very quick. You don't get any line cuts at immigration. If you get to USM 90 minutes prior to departure, you will be fine.
Can confirm - took the same flight last week. No queue at Business Class check in. You'll also get access to Bangkok Airways Blue Ribbon lounge, but that's nothing to call home about (except being the only airconditioned area in the gate area). No speical lane in immigration but international departures are rarely crowded. Should be an hour drive for you from Conrad, so leaving at 9 am should be fine.
pmeye likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:25 am

Programs: Sinbad Gold
We’ve done this many times, definitely worth the extra as far as we are concerned if only to avoid the hellish and hot economy check in queue!

Business class check in is on the far right side of the check in area, no priority at immigration or security but we’ve never had to wait. Blue ribbon lounge is small with a few items of cold food to help yourself to, and hot items made to order. Again it’s big plus is avoiding the departure lounge which can be really hot and overcrowded. Business class gets its own trolley bus to the aircraft before the economy trollies. By the way we’ve also done USM-SIN on Bangkok Air premium economy and it has exactly the same ground service as business class.
pmeye likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Welcome to FlyerTalk @SheldonB14 !
SheldonB14 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:30 am

Thank you ��
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Sounds good. Thank you all for sharing your experience! Makes me more relaxed for my vacation.
Last year's check in experience was a real nightmare for us. The years before we used to fly Thai in C and so we new the USM airport only als nice and relaxed. But they apparently discontinued USM-BKK and offer only code shares on Bangkok Airways.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pmeye
Sounds good. Thank you all for sharing your experience! Makes me more relaxed for my vacation.
Last year's check in experience was a real nightmare for us. The years before we used to fly Thai in C and so we new the USM airport only als nice and relaxed. But they apparently discontinued USM-BKK and offer only code shares on Bangkok Airways.
Yes, this was discussed on the THAI board some time ago. Since USM is privately owned, the speculation was that with the withdrawal of TG's 737-400, the owners used that as an opportunity to deny THAI Smile rights to operate - although the exact reasoning wasn't clear. Maybe the 'agreement' was applicable only for THAI Intentional and not a separately manage subsidiary like THAI Smile (using A320).
pmeye likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I'm going into Thailand this trip via Silkair at USM, then going to Chiang Mai before going BKK. Ive never been to USM and only economy available on the Bangkok Air flight from USM direct to CNX. Is the check in situation really that big of a nightmare at USM?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jinrop
I'm going into Thailand this trip via Silkair at USM, then going to Chiang Mai before going BKK. Ive never been to USM and only economy available on the Bangkok Air flight from USM direct to CNX. Is the check in situation really that big of a nightmare at USM?
Nightmare is an overstatement. It can be crowded. It would only be a shock if you're not used to waiting in line at airports.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:15 am

It really depends on the time of day. At certain times it can be bad, coupled with the heat (USM is not air conditioned), it can be unpleasant. I’ve queued for over 90 minutes, but you won’t miss your flight as staff walk the queues with flight numbers of imminent flights and take these passengers to the front which I guess makes everyone else wait a bit longer for their turn. On other occasions it’s been relatively quiet and I’ve been through in less than 10 minutes. Wouldn’t stop me using USM, it’s still a great little airport, I just prefer to use business or premium economy where available, especially as the price difference is often quite small.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by SheldonB14
I just prefer to use business or premium economy where available, especially as the price difference is often quite small.
The price difference between Y and J on MI is extreme on SIN-USM. That's why the front cabin is usually empty. It's a great route for redeeming KF miles. I would never pay cash. It's over $1000 US RT for a sub-2 hour flight, in a recliner seat.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
The price difference between Y and J on MI is extreme on SIN-USM. That's why the front cabin is usually empty. It's a great route for redeeming KF miles. I would never pay cash. It's over $1000 US RT for a sub-2 hour flight, in a recliner seat.
that’s outrageous, no wonder it’s empty! You can usually get fairly good prices on that route in premium on PG, which is essentially business class ground and on board service but economy style seating and empty middle seat. Well worth the extra IMHO and it’s always been full on the 8 or so times I’ve used it. Their on board economy is absolutely fine, used it many times, but if the difference in fare isn’t great I just prefer the ground experience in premium/business especially at samui. I definitely wouldn’t pay a huge amount above the economy price though!
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by SheldonB14
I just prefer the ground experience in premium/business especially at samui.
I completely agree.

When flying BKK-USM, I book PG business class, it's a very nice product and reasonably priced, though only offered on a handful of flights per day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.