FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   WaitListed Opened Last Minute (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1931123-waitlisted-opened-last-minute.html)

dinoan Sep 17, 2018 4:49 pm

WaitListed Opened Last Minute

Hi Flyertalkers, What is the *best strategy* to proceed with travel plans with the least amount of anxiety. Where the desired award flight is waitlisted and in worst case might be only released last minute or a few days before the flight. Only have enough points for the waitlisting. Thanks!

Yoshi212 Sep 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Revenue ticket with hopes of using miles/points to upgrade or award ticket booking?

Which program?

dinoan Sep 18, 2018 10:09 am

@Yoshi212 Award ticket booking.
e.g. If I book SG award but waitlisted. Do you recommend me also purchase a parallel revenue ticket just in case my waitlist doesn't clear? but here in US, you cannot refund revenue tickets.

Yoshi212 Sep 18, 2018 10:27 am

I am going to assume that you mean SQ, Singapore International Airlines, and not SpiceJet which is SG. I'm requesting a MOD move this to the SQ forum for better attention.

There definitely are refundable revenue tickets available. They tend to be more expensive but they do exist. I have not waitlisted with SQ so I will allow others to answer.

WLG Base Sep 18, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by dinoan (Post 30214745)
Hi Flyertalkers, What is the *best strategy* to proceed with travel plans with the least amount of anxiety. Where the desired award flight is waitlisted and in worst case might be only released last minute or a few days before the flight. Only have enough points for the waitlisting. Thanks!

There is a thread on waitlisting for SQ. How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

There is no guarantee a waitlist request will clear. I have experienced this on a number of occasions.

If you have to travel then the best strategy is to buy a ticket.

pschafer Sep 18, 2018 3:38 pm

As said above - waitlist may never clear. However, while you need the miles in your account to WL they are not removed until (and if) the WL clears so you can still use the miles to book an alternative (confirmed award) or WL more than one flight. If you can find availability on another (second choice) date/time/route you can get SQ to link your WL to this confirmed booking. You can also use your SQ points to book *A flights for your desired route (if available - no WL allowed on *A fights) but I am not sure if SQ can then link your SQ-only waitlisted flights - but ask the call centre if this looks like an option.

dinoan Oct 2, 2018 8:41 pm

thanks for the insights! (and reference readings)