WaitListed Opened Last Minute

Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

WaitListed Opened Last Minute

Hi Flyertalkers, What is the *best strategy* to proceed with travel plans with the least amount of anxiety. Where the desired award flight is waitlisted and in worst case might be only released last minute or a few days before the flight. Only have enough points for the waitlisting. Thanks!
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Revenue ticket with hopes of using miles/points to upgrade or award ticket booking?

Which program?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

@Yoshi212 Award ticket booking.
e.g. If I book SG award but waitlisted. Do you recommend me also purchase a parallel revenue ticket just in case my waitlist doesn't clear? but here in US, you cannot refund revenue tickets.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I am going to assume that you mean SQ, Singapore International Airlines, and not SpiceJet which is SG. I'm requesting a MOD move this to the SQ forum for better attention.

There definitely are refundable revenue tickets available. They tend to be more expensive but they do exist. I have not waitlisted with SQ so I will allow others to answer.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:27 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dinoan
Hi Flyertalkers, What is the *best strategy* to proceed with travel plans with the least amount of anxiety. Where the desired award flight is waitlisted and in worst case might be only released last minute or a few days before the flight. Only have enough points for the waitlisting. Thanks!

There is a thread on waitlisting for SQ. How likely are waitlisted awards to clear?

There is no guarantee a waitlist request will clear. I have experienced this on a number of occasions.

If you have to travel then the best strategy is to buy a ticket.
davidj1 likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
As said above - waitlist may never clear. However, while you need the miles in your account to WL they are not removed until (and if) the WL clears so you can still use the miles to book an alternative (confirmed award) or WL more than one flight. If you can find availability on another (second choice) date/time/route you can get SQ to link your WL to this confirmed booking. You can also use your SQ points to book *A flights for your desired route (if available - no WL allowed on *A fights) but I am not sure if SQ can then link your SQ-only waitlisted flights - but ask the call centre if this looks like an option.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the insights! (and reference readings)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.