Wiki Posts
Search

Lack of seating benefits for Gold Elite

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
Lack of seating benefits for Gold Elite

So I booked a cheap getaway for my wife and I from NZ to Bali. It was cheap so no complaints about the fare.

this is the first ticket I've brought in the cheaper buckets since the changes earlier this year.

after booking I went to select a seat however as my wife has no status with SQ she doesn't qualify for free seat select, even though she is travelling with me, on the same ticket. How ridiculous is that? This in effect removes MY ability to select seats as I'm not going to select mine and leave her to fend for herself..! I called SQ and they really didn't care less. For me, it's not about the money, it's more the principal and continued penny pinching... I will end up paying the SG$80 but it's really annoying.

As a comparison AirNz treat their and other *G to seat select, in the premium zones, no matter how many people are in the booking...

not good..! Your thoughts?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
You booked a cheap ticket and expect SQ to provide an extra?

Have you only just started traveling with them? You get what you pay for, no more and no less!
Tokyoite and davidj1 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
OP. To be clear, do you hold SQ*G status? Or does any *G status provide access to 'free' seats in this situation?

I ask as a few dummy bookings I have made with SQ in their cheapest economy fare class didn't seem to offer me any seating benefits despite being TG*G...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:46 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by QTFLYER
So I booked a cheap getaway for my wife and I from NZ to Bali. It was cheap so no complaints about the fare. this is the first ticket I've brought in the cheaper buckets since the changes earlier this year.
Just to be clear, you're flying to Bali from Auckland and it's with Singapore Airlines? That means you're flying via Singapore?
As a comparison AirNz treat their and other *G to seat select, in the premium zones, no matter how many people are in the booking.
That's simply not true in my experience for bucket seats. I booked an Economy ticket for myself and Mrs RTWFF on an Air NZ Dreamliner flight, single PNR, earlier in the year and we could not sit together in priority seats (ie. at the front of the aircraft). I am *G with United. Fortunately Air NZ then substituted another aircraft so allowed us to cancel and refund without penalty, which I did
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
OP. To be clear, do you hold SQ*G status? Or does any *G status provide access to 'free' seats in this situation?

I ask as a few dummy bookings I have made with SQ in their cheapest economy fare class didn't seem to offer me any seating benefits despite being TG*G...
yes, I am KF*G (Gold elite). It's in the thread title but not in the body, my bad.! As a fellow NZer I use SQ status to book my travel with NZ. inputting my FF into NZ booking engine opens up ff seating on NZ.

benefit of SQ G is free seating selection, no matter the class. They seem to restrict this to the member, not another PAX (including wife) traveling on same PNR. That's what my moan is about.!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Just to be clear, you're flying to Bali from Auckland and it's with Singapore Airlines? That means you're flying via Singapore?
That's simply not true in my experience for bucket seats. I booked an Economy ticket for myself and Mrs RTWFF on an Air NZ Dreamliner flight, single PNR, earlier in the year and we could not sit together in priority seats (ie. at the front of the aircraft). I am *G with United. Fortunately Air NZ then substituted another aircraft so allowed us to cancel and refund without penalty, which I did
for a fact I know NZ offer FF seating to *A Gold members. If you book via a travel agent as long as the agent inputs your *G number in the booking then seat select will allow access to FF seating. You need the NZ PNR you access the booking on the website. I have done this and continue to do this with NZ when travelling with my family.

No, flying from CHC. Yes, via SIN.

Last edited by QTFLYER; Sep 12, 2018 at 9:49 pm
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
You booked a cheap ticket and expect SQ to provide an extra?

Have you only just started traveling with them? You get what you pay for, no more and no less!
I'm KF*G. Seat select for any class is a benefit of being so.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's rather petty of them, but as already noted SQ is not exactly known for giving stuff away.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
I suspect that if you do select a seat she will be allocated next to you, and if you don't, well she will be allocated next to you ... See what happens if you select a seat (I think you can deselect later) ... go into select a seat (with an empty seat beside it) and then go into make a new dummy booking to see if you can allocate the seat beside you or it is no longer available. If the latter, there's a good chance it has been blocked.

Although with SQ IT systems/web interface, one can never be sure if it is malice or imcompetence that precludes things such as this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
I suspect that if you do select a seat she will be allocated next to you, and if you don't, well she will be allocated next to you ... See what happens if you select a seat (I think you can deselect later) ... go into select a seat (with an empty seat beside it) and then go into make a new dummy booking to see if you can allocate the seat beside you or it is no longer available. If the latter, there's a good chance it has been blocked.

Although with SQ IT systems/web interface, one can never be sure if it is malice or imcompetence that precludes things such as this.
I tried this to no avail. I even double checked on Expert Flyer and the seat next to me is free. I called SQ again and they offered me a whopping 10% discount on my wife's seat select.. disgrace.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
for a fact I know NZ offer FF seating to *A Gold members. If you book via a travel agent as long as the agent inputs your *G number in the booking then seat select will allow access to FF seating. You need the NZ PNR you access the booking on the website. I have done this and continue to do this with NZ when travelling with my family.
This is also my experience as TG*G where flying NZ.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
IMHO OP had been pampered by the UNIQUE feature of NZ towards *G.

OP, fly more star alliance carrier you should get used to it as not only SQ provide you such unpleasant experience. (by the way SQ don't equipment without business class, can i complaint NZ don't provide business class?)
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:06 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
for a fact I know NZ offer FF seating to *A Gold members. If you book via a travel agent as long as the agent inputs your *G number in the booking then seat select will allow access to FF seating. You need the NZ PNR you access the booking on the website. I have done this and continue to do this with NZ when travelling with my family. No, flying from CHC. Yes, via SIN.
My experience was that I (as *G) got priority seating, Mrs RTWFF was parked down the back (same PNR). As a married man you'll appreciate I did not mind that one little bit, but Her Indoors was outraged. I think I managed to prevail after a lengthy phone conversation but, as I say, we cancelled anyway
davidj1 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yauee
IMHO OP had been pampered by the UNIQUE feature of NZ towards *G.
OP is KF Gold, so you've kind of missed the point here. It's how SQ treats its own passengers, not how it treats *G.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP is KF Gold, so you've kind of missed the point here. It's how SQ treats its own passengers, not how it treats *G.
OP was given free seat selection , but not the one without status correct? maybe selection at non forward zone might solve the PROBLEM?

Economy Class

Depending on the fare type you choose, you may select a seat in advance for free or a fee. Alternatively, you may select any available Economy Class seat for free when online check-in opens, 48 hours before your flight departs.

Last edited by yauee; Sep 14, 2018 at 11:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.