Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-FRA-SIN vs. SIN-FRA-JFK in F?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

JFK-FRA-SIN vs. SIN-FRA-JFK in F?

I need to get from JFK to HKG and then back again in the spring of 2019.

Have done this in F several different ways over the years (LH & CX are favourites) but never on SQ.

I'm only looking to do this one-way on SQ and not roundtrip, and so am curious whether folks think it's more fun to do it "coming or going", as it were.

Seems to me that departure and arrival times, as well as layover time are fairly comparable: late PM departure on the first leg, 2 hour layover in FRA, and finally either a very early AM arrival at SIN or mid-AM arrival at JFK.

The only salient difference I can see is between having access to Virgin Clubhouse ex-JFK, or SQ Private Room ex-SIN ... and not having visited either of those lounges personally before it seems like that may tip the scales towards SIN-FRA-JFK.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Many thanks!

-Grady
Old May 17, 2018, 11:36 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
At least in C I think there is one more full meal SIN-FRA-JFK:

JFK-FRA - Dinner, Continental Breakfast
FRA-SIN - Lunch, Breakfast

SIN-FRA - Supper, Breakfast
FRA-JFK - Brunch, Lunch

Not sure if in F the continental breakfast becomes a full meal.
Old May 17, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Plat
Do note that as discussed in a topic about SQ private room access, arriving Suites passengers can access the PR by presenting their boarding pass so that's something to take into consideration.

Please check the relevant thread here... https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1706678-sin-private-room-access-new-post.html
Old May 17, 2018, 12:06 pm

Private Room access + better catering out of SIN than outstations makes SIN-FRA-JFK the clear winner.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
I just did sin-fra-jfk last month. I’ve done jfk-fra several times but never the 2nd leg continuing to SIN.

I agree with everyone else would definitely opt for the sin-fra-jfk direction. It’s slightly longer going west so you get to enjoy it a bit more. I prefer the longer leg first. The Private room, while not amazing, is way more interesting to me than the virgin clubhouse at JFK. The main clubhouse in London is great. The one at JFK just isn’t all that. It’s also a pretty late departure and seems like things are winding down by the time the SQ flight leaves.

If you’re connecting from HK, book an earlier flight so you get a little more time at the Singapore airport. Definitely Book the Cook and I would say skip the lobster. But I know others will disagree.

Have fun. It’s an absolutely fantastic flight.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:48 pm

I have done this comparison before and chose JFK-FRA-SIN-HKG. I topped up slightly more miles to get the SIN-HKG leg just so I can enjoy TPR in Changi. I have to say I find the food in VirginAtlantic Clubhouse is superior to TPR. Though the former is more crowded though! One of my considerations is that lunches and dinners are more elaborate than breakfasts. Hence 1st meal after taking off from JFK in SQ25 is dinner service, but SQ26 is supper service. Lots of differences (cavier!).
Old May 22, 2018, 12:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Personally I prefer the JFK-FRA-SIN direction as the Dinner meal service on takeoff out of JFK is more elaborate than any of the individual meals you get on SIN-FRA-JFK.

These are years old but an example of the menus in each direction (there are likely newer menus out there on the web, I just happened to have these links handy -- AFAIK the basic structure of the meals is still the same):
SQTalk - View Single Post - SQ First Menus
SQTalk - View Single Post - SQ First Menus

Notably, you don't get the option of the standard caviar service on any of the meals SIN-FRA-JFK, if that matters to you, and none of the meals have the full lineup of courses you get in a dinner service (appetizer plus salad plus soup, and dessert plus cheese). The meals on FRA-JFK are particularly underwhelming for international first class. That said, the dinner out of JFK is a big meal -- I was actually too full to eat barely anything on departure from FRA 10 hours later -- so the smaller meals in the opposite direction are still plenty of food, but it's nice to be spoiled for choice.

The sleep schedule is definitely easier on SIN-FRA-JFK though. There are arguments for the advantage of the ground experience in either direction, IMO -- both the Private Room and the Virgin Clubhouse in JFK are nice lounges. Though since you can use the Private Room upon arrival at SIN, the only way to try both is by flying the JFK-FRA-SIN direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.