FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The SQ A350 - shockingly bad J-class seat (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1804727-sq-a350-shockingly-bad-j-class-seat.html)

sbs2716g Nov 12, 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 31730643)
14K for SIN-BLR .. I'm assuming this should be ok (it's a short flight), can change as the cabin is relatively empty ... :)

This is the regional A350. Not the long haul version.
Think most seats should be ok for the regional version.

malgudi Nov 13, 2019 10:55 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g (Post 31730675)
This is the regional A350. Not the long haul version.
Think most seats should be ok for the regional version.

Indeed ... it is this version.

eponymous_coward Jan 5, 2020 7:33 pm

Just flew BLR-SIN-SEA in J. I wasn’t a fan of the A359 regional seat for sleeping (too cramped at the feet), though it was fine for lounging. I got 19K for the SIN-SEA segment, so not entirely fair in that it has some extra space, but I liked it just fine (flew BR over to Asia for that trip so I have a comparison). Even having to angle didn’t feel like much of a problem. Slept 6-7 hours or so. All told I would completely fly SQ J longhaul again in that J seat. I’m 6 foot 2 and a side sleeper who doesn’t mind somewhat hard mattresses.

Chris58 Jan 21, 2020 9:27 am

I rarely post here, (but I do read and learn quite a bit).

I want to thank everybody for all the information in this thread about the J seats on the 359's as I rarely pay much attention to seat choice.

I'm on SQ 34 tomorrow and since I'm 6' 2" tall, size "extra fat", LOL,,, I wasn't all that happy about my long ago booked seat 12A.

Thanks to the info I learned here I checked the booking online yesterday just under departure -48 and row 11 still unavailable, (I assume blocked for SQ elites).

Tried again this afternoon at departure -23:59 and winner winner, was able to get 11D.:) So perhaps the block is dropped @ departure -24.

Kacee Jan 21, 2020 11:36 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 31913263)
’m 6 foot 2 and a side sleeper who doesn’t mind somewhat hard mattresses.

This is really key. It's completely a matter of personal preference. But those who like a softer mattress will likely find the 350 J seat uncomfortably hard.

eponymous_coward Jan 21, 2020 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 31977893)
This is really key. It's completely a matter of personal preference. But those who like a softer mattress will likely find the 350 J seat uncomfortably hard.

Exactly, but I don't find the seat "shockingly bad", as is the stated premise of this thread. Like a lot of things, YMMV. That was my mileage- I would rather have the SQ A359 longhaul seat than the short/midhaul seat as a bed, and feel pretty indifferent to a comparison to BR, AY, CX, etc. and the reverse herringbone style that tends to be the favored alternative for longhaul J these days.

I'm not telling anyone to enjoy the SQ seat on my account, though. :)

Polytonic Feb 18, 2020 10:33 pm

Okay, pretty sure this is the right thread -- so I now have 17A (ideally for the console on the right). I could go 14A, but then it looks like the console is flipped and I'd be closer to the aisle?

The entire rear cabin is wide open (for now). Would I be better served booking 20A and then Book the Cook or something? I think I'd find lav noise/light annoying, so not sure if I want to go for row 19.

sbs2716g Feb 18, 2020 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 32088421)
Okay, pretty sure this is the right thread -- so I now have 17A (ideally for the console on the right). I could go 14A, but then it looks like the console is flipped and I'd be closer to the aisle?

The entire rear cabin is wide open (for now). Would I be better served booking 20A and then Book the Cook or something? I think I'd find lav noise/light annoying, so not sure if I want to go for row 19.

Are you on the regional A350 configurations ?

I think most seat is fine depend on whether u wan the aisle or windows.

What do u mean by better served ?

Polytonic Feb 18, 2020 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by sbs2716g (Post 32088496)
Are you on the regional A350 configurations ?

I think most seat is fine depend on whether u wan the aisle or windows.

What do u mean by better served ?

Ah, mostly looking for quiet cabin and choice of meal (though maybe that's the whole point of BTC?). Ideally prefer seats with the console on the right, and a window to my left (so ... 12A/15A/17A/20A).

sbs2716g Feb 19, 2020 12:03 am

Originally Posted by Polytonic (Post 32088528)
Ah, mostly looking for quiet cabin and choice of meal (though maybe that's the whole point of BTC?). Ideally prefer seats with the console on the right, and a window to my left (so ... 12A/15A/17A/20A).

choice of meal? That can be chosen on line 3 weeks before your flight. You can see the normal menu n select it. Or choose from book the cook. So no issue.

Quiet wise. Can see this review.

https://mainlymiles.com/fleet-a350-900-regional/

fimo Feb 19, 2020 5:19 am

Yup - premium class pax can now preselect their main from the inflight menu in advance, no need to worry about service order in your seat choice.

HAF Apr 8, 2022 8:08 am

Hi all - I have booked my first ever J with SQ SFO-SIN A359 I am quite excited since it is one of the last major airlines I have not flown their premium cabin yet. I used to fly CX, JP, BR, UA on this route pre-pandemic. Last week I flew with QR/QSuites which is amazing - but that discussion is for another thread.

However I am not sure what to expect from the J seat on a A359 - the flipping to make a bed, and the hard surface and the tight foot cubby hole... all these scare me for a 16hr flight

Rows 11 and 19 seem to provide a solution with more foot space when sleeping - but row 11 is reserved for status holders and will not be released until 48hrs before my flight. Currently all of row 19 is open - but the fact that these are bassinet seats scare me since a quiet cabin and privacy is my top priority on such ultra long flights, even more than foot space.

Question for you all - what are your experiences on row 19? From my other experiences ,even if bassinets are on certain rows, - it does not stop from having babies or toddlers screaming anywhere in the J cabin:eek: ..... how bad is the noise level for this row on SQ per your recent experiences?

For now I am on 12A outbound 12K inbound and i will likely keep it unless 11A/K become available at some point.

Thank you!! (this thread has not been updated for a while so good to have some recent feedback)
--HAF

jxd Apr 8, 2022 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by HAF (Post 34147951)
Hi all - I have booked my first ever J with SQ SFO-SIN A359 I am quite excited since it is one of the last major airlines I have not flown their premium cabin yet. I used to fly CX, JP, BR, UA on this route pre-pandemic. Last week I flew with QR/QSuites which is amazing - but that discussion is for another thread.

However I am not sure what to expect from the J seat on a A359 - the flipping to make a bed, and the hard surface and the tight foot cubby hole... all these scare me for a 16hr flight

Rows 11 and 19 seem to provide a solution with more foot space when sleeping - but row 11 is reserved for status holders and will not be released until 48hrs before my flight. Currently all of row 19 is open - but the fact that these are bassinet seats scare me since a quiet cabin and privacy is my top priority on such ultra long flights, even more than foot space.

Question for you all - what are your experiences on row 19? From my other experiences ,even if bassinets are on certain rows, - it does not stop from having babies or toddlers screaming anywhere in the J cabin:eek: ..... how bad is the noise level for this row on SQ per your recent experiences?

For now I am on 12A outbound 12K inbound and i will likely keep it unless 11A/K become available at some point.

Thank you!! (this thread has not been updated for a while so good to have some recent feedback)
--HAF

I sat on 12A before and didn't find the sleeping position very comfortable. Luckily 11A was empty and the stewardess allowed me to move over.

onlySIA Apr 8, 2022 7:54 pm

The "flipping" that so many people complain about is really not that bad. Sure, you have to stand up and rearrange a few belongings so they don't get squashed. Cabin crew can assist if you can't figure it out. It usually takes about a minute and the exercise helps reduce DVT :p

bpk6h Apr 8, 2022 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA (Post 34149934)
The "flipping" that so many people complain about is really not that bad. Sure, you have to stand up and rearrange a few belongings so they don't get squashed. Cabin crew can assist if you can't figure it out. It usually takes about a minute and the exercise helps reduce DVT :p

I agree re flipping - maybe because I'm so used to it. I also think it's a more comfortable seat than the A380 which reclines to flat. As for seat location, if I can't get 11A/K (or 10A on ULR), then I always go for 19A/K. I have an upcoming EWR-SIN and I selected 19K as 10A/11K are occupied. I need that extra legroom as I'm quite tall. Fortunately, I'm usually able to get row 11.