FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   End of an era on THAI - Choose Singapore or Asiana (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1714756-end-era-thai-choose-singapore-asiana.html)

AvidFlyer1990 Oct 9, 2015 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by timangus (Post 25540659)
SQ never gives free system upgrades like Thai ROP Gold (one a year) or United 1k (6 upgrades/year). Believe American also gives 6 upgrades a year for their top tier frequent flyers.Have been PPS Soliataire for several years and travel at least twice a month on SQ; can remember maybe 1 flight a year that I got upgraded for free due to overbooking. Otherwise forget upgrades by SQ! Exception is birthday upgrades for PPS solitaire members when flying on one's birthday.

AFAIK:

AA: 8 SWU's for ExP's
DL: 4 GUC's for DM's

Mwenenzi Oct 9, 2015 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by tycosiao (Post 25532251)
...Not many programmes are like TG ROP where they offer upgrades after a certain threshold....

Do any (other than USA based ffp's)??

With non USA based airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy: upgrades are not given out like with USA based airlines. Upgrades with ff miles, ff miles and cash co-pay, upgrade instruments or free due to status on non USA based airlines are not as common.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...post-here.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html

380Flyer Oct 10, 2015 11:28 pm

May I suggest you look into Asiana Airlines FFP as they offer "Lifetime" Star Gold status after completing 500,000 miles on any Star Alliance partners.

It's worth taking a look as I started my journey with OZ's FFP last year and haven't looked back.

Originally Posted by ROPGOLD (Post 25524168)
I have been a THAI ROP Gold Member for 12 years now flying about 50,000 miles each year between my home airport of LAX and BKK Bangkok, Thailand & DPS Bali, Indonesia. THAI was perfect for me because it stopped in Bangkok on the way to Bali both places where I do business. However, as of October 24, 2015 THAI will no longer fly to America.

I liked THAI its Royal Orchid Plus because you needed either 50,000 miles in a 12 month period OR 80,000 miles in 24 months to achieve or maintain Gold status (good for 2 years). Also, with each Gold renewal, THAI awards one free upgrade to business class with each 50,000 miles flown up to 2 per 24 months.

Now that THAI will no longer fly to the US, I need to find a new star alliance airline to travel on. I fly United exclusively within the US and accrue my miles an a partner airline (up until now, THAI). For me, the most important thing is being able to upgrade to business class as often and as easily (inexpensively) as possible.

Are there any other Star Alliance member airlines that give a free business class upgrade at 50,000 miles or upon achieving gold status? I'm thinking Singapore or Asiana would be my best choices as they might have the most flights and best prices from the US to Indonesia and Thailand but, don't know anything about Either's program?

My THAI Gold status will not expire until February of 2018 However, I am Flying to Asia on October 8th and then again in December and I need to figure out where to accrue these 46,000 miles?

As this is my first post, any and all help, answers and suggestions will be most greatly appreciated. Thank you!

pWei Oct 13, 2015 8:06 am

Originally Posted by timangus (Post 25540659)
SQ never gives free system upgrades like Thai ROP Gold (one a year) or United 1k (6 upgrades/year). Believe American also gives 6 upgrades a year for their top tier frequent flyers.

They certainly don't give out ROP G awards that book into J. The bucket. And as far as I can tell, quite flexible as well. Perhaps this is why they aren't as profitable.

MSPeconomist Oct 13, 2015 9:21 am

I'm confused about the OP's objectives. Why the restriction to *A FF programs? And why not continue to credit flights to TG while flying mostly partners?

For the OP's routes, upgrade instruments will be needed, with different carriers having different rules for their certs and upgrades with miles. One usually must use upgrade instruments from the airline being flown, so that suggests picking the airline and FF program together as a pair. At 50,000 status miles per year, OP won't get upgrade certs so the choice will be to use miles to upgrade from higher fares or with co-pays, assuming even that upgrade space is available. This won't permit many upgrades per year; it's the new reality. However, I don't think the OP got many upgrades from TG either, but I'm confused about this. If it was one per year, some people do much better than this with just OPUPs. Also, it seems to me that it should matter how early the upgrades can be confirmed and especially how often a requested upgrade is ultimately granted.