Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

End of an era on THAI - Choose Singapore or Asiana

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2015, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: THAI ROP & United Mileage Plus

I have been a THAI ROP Gold Member for 12 years now flying about 50,000 miles each year between my home airport of LAX and BKK Bangkok, Thailand & DPS Bali, Indonesia. THAI was perfect for me because it stopped in Bangkok on the way to Bali both places where I do business. However, as of October 24, 2015 THAI will no longer fly to America.

I liked THAI its Royal Orchid Plus because you needed either 50,000 miles in a 12 month period OR 80,000 miles in 24 months to achieve or maintain Gold status (good for 2 years). Also, with each Gold renewal, THAI awards one free upgrade to business class with each 50,000 miles flown up to 2 per 24 months.

Now that THAI will no longer fly to the US, I need to find a new star alliance airline to travel on. I fly United exclusively within the US and accrue my miles an a partner airline (up until now, THAI). For me, the most important thing is being able to upgrade to business class as often and as easily (inexpensively) as possible.

Are there any other Star Alliance member airlines that give a free business class upgrade at 50,000 miles or upon achieving gold status? I'm thinking Singapore or Asiana would be my best choices as they might have the most flights and best prices from the US to Indonesia and Thailand but, don't know anything about Either's program?

My THAI Gold status will not expire until February of 2018 However, I am Flying to Asia on October 8th and then again in December and I need to figure out where to accrue these 46,000 miles?

As this is my first post, any and all help, answers and suggestions will be most greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ROPGOLD
I have been a THAI ROP Gold Member for 12 years ... Now that THAI will no longer fly to the US, I need to find a new star alliance airline to travel on. I fly United exclusively within the US and accrue my miles an a partner airline (up until now, THAI). For me, the most important thing is being able to upgrade to business class as often and as easily (inexpensively) as possible.

Are there any other Star Alliance member airlines that give a free business class upgrade at 50,000 miles or upon achieving gold status? I'm thinking Singapore or Asiana would be my best choices as they might have the most flights and best prices from the US to Indonesia and Thailand but, don't know anything about Either's program?

As this is my first post, any and all help, answers and suggestions will be most greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sorry to hear about your Thai airways no longer flying to US! I had great experiences with Royal Silk class to Singapore and Japan from BKK, and am disappointed about the news. With that said, the Star Alliance has several good options for you.

Since you mention SG and OZ, I will recommend you look at CA (Air China) if cost is a consideration, which if your travel is mostly business-expensed, then you may not care about that price factor. Also, OZ primarily flies via ICN (Incheon) and SG via SIN (Singapore), so you have to think about that. Finally, overall, in J class, SG will usually beat OZ, although hard product will vary depending on plane and route.

Good luck!

-AD
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Welcome to FT ROPGOLD ^ Sorry to hear about your situation, and I agree losing TG direct to the US stinks. I never flew that route myself but i love TG and would have flown it happily if need be.

If you are flying BKK/ N. America I'd exclude SQ because every trip will be a 3 stop and include BR in your search. They J product looks amazing, and have direct flights to a lot of N. American gateways.

Good luck.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
If flying out of LAX, the downside of SQ is the arrival at 3am in SIN - which means a 4 hr connection to the first flights to Bangkok or Bali (in fact that's MI, for connection to SQ it's over 5 hrs). And given the departure at 09:25 from SIN to LAX, it would mean overnighting in SIN if coming from either BKK or DPS.

Last edited by lokijuh; Oct 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm Reason: Added departure info
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by airbornedaddy

Since you mention SG and OZ, I will recommend you look at CA (Air China) if cost is a consideration, which if your travel is mostly business-expensed, then you may not care about that price factor. Also, OZ primarily flies via ICN (Incheon) and SG via SIN (Singapore), so you have to think about that. Finally, overall, in J class, SG will usually beat OZ, although hard product will vary depending on plane and route.

Good luck!

-AD
I believe you meant SQ - Singapore Airlines? SG (SpiceJet) is a budget air carrier based in India! They primarily offer domestic services within India, and nearby international destinations.

Coming back to OP's question, I think both SQ (Singapore) and OZ (Asiana) offer fantastic products, and amazing service. However, I'm basing my opinions based off of my premium cabin travel ~ F/J. In Y, YMMV, although, I generally hear great things about the Y service in these 2 airlines.

OZ mostly would be a one-stop flight, connecting through ICN, while SQ would mostly be a 2 stop flight connecting either in NRT/DME/FRA/ICN/HKG (did I miss one?) then again in SIN, based on where you originate in the US. And don't forget NH as well! They're pretty cool. And if you're flying F, you have access to their Diamond Suite lounge. Their F fares are usually competitive out of LAX (I usually search till DEL). However, IME, and I believe many FT'ers would agree, NH's F product has gone downhill the past couple of years, esp. the catering!

One very important thing to consider is how you'd earn miles, with partner airlines, in TG ROP. Many partner airlines' discounted coach ticket earns significantly less, or even A BIG FAT 0, on TG ROP (eg. AI (Air India) discounted coach S class earns 0 on TG ROP). Here's a handy chart to help you earn/maintain *G status: http://www.thaiairways.co.in/frequen...odes-chart.htm

You can try AI, as well. They have a fairly competitive product with decent pricing, though you have to transit through India. Personally, I'd avoid CA as I have never heard good things about them, especially during IRROPS, and their flights are prone to Chinese ATC delays, but, this is just me! Again, YMMV!

OS, LX, LH, TK all have decent products in premium cabins, and most with one-stop to your final destination. OS and TK has DoCo catering in J. Plenty of options to choose from. Always remember to check the chart to make sure your booking class earns RDM's/EQM's or Status Miles.

I have not mentioned UA, but I guess you can check them out as well! I, however, wouldn't, as there are plenty of *A options. I have not done AC in J in recent years, but I have heard their new J, the one in 789 is a fantastic hard product. Do they fly to BKK?

Have fun, and safe travels!

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Oct 8, 2015 at 11:46 pm Reason: Added NH, UA, AC
Old Oct 7, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by Madone59
If you are flying BKK/ N. America I'd exclude SQ because every trip will be a 3 stop and include BR in your search. They J product looks amazing, and have direct flights to a lot of N. American gateways.
I agree with this assessment. BR's J product on their 77Ws is quite good and they are slowly phasing out their date 744s. They are mostly off their SEA route, still on YVR but they are also getting more 77Ws, so both routes should eventually be 77W only. In addition, as Madone59 mentioned, they have a lot of NA gateways and are looking to add more according to the rumours. Their last add was IAH.

In addition, they have a premium economy product available if you want a bit more comfort without spending the cash needed for C.

Lastly, I've been trying to avoid OZ after their two recent crashes, one at SFO and one at HIJ. Your comfort with their level of safety may be different than mine.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hh Gold, NH*G, SPGP, SQ-CC
If you manage to fly 50k miles per annum again for the next 10 years.

You may want to consider OZ and get the lifetime status.

Not many programmes are like TG ROP where they offer upgrades after a certain threshold.

OZ requalification is somewhat similar to TG. Diamond, *G can be had for 40k miles on a 2 year period.

Lifetime Diamond+ can be had for 500k miles.

TK's elite status would be

Elite Card - 40k miles in 12 months to qualify, 30k miles to renew within 12 months and 45k miles in 24 months.

Elite+ - 80k miles in 12 months to qualify, 40k miles to renew within 12 months and 60k miles in 24 months.

You can potentially get a status match with TK to ease the transition.

SQ

Avoid them unless you can get PPS. Krisflyer Gold is

you mentioned an upcoming flights to Asia with 46k miles. Almost 10% of OZ lifetime requirement if they credit 100%

Let us know your the carrier and ticketing class
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Originally Posted by tycosiao
If you manage to fly 50k miles per annum again for the next 10 years.

You may want to consider OZ and get the lifetime status.

Not many programmes are like TG ROP where they offer upgrades after a certain threshold.

OZ requalification is somewhat similar to TG. Diamond, *G can be had for 40k miles on a 2 year period.

Lifetime Diamond+ can be had for 500k miles.

Elite Card - 40k miles in 12 months to qualify, 30k miles to renew within 12 months and 45k miles in 24 months.

Elite+ - 80k miles in 12 months to qualify, 40k miles to renew within 12 months and 60k miles in 24 months.

SQ

Avoid them unless you can get PPS. Krisflyer Gold is

you mentioned an upcoming flights to Asia with 46k miles. Almost 10% of OZ lifetime requirement if they credit 100%

Let us know your the carrier and ticketing class
Agreed for Krisflyer.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by tycosiao

Isn't it 25k miles, if qualified within the first 12 months and 37.5k if qualified within the 2 years for TK Elite requalification? Ofcourse, I am assuming OP is not a TK citizen residing within Turkey!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
OZ mostly would be a one-stop flight, connecting through ICN, while SQ would mostly be a 2 stop flight connecting either in NRT/DME/FRA/ICN/HKG (did I miss one?) then again in SIN, based on where you originate in the US.
With OZ, the ICN connections to BKK westbound from the US are good, but the return is problematic - typically a red-eye ex-BKK followed by a very long (at least six hours) layover at ICN.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
With OZ, the ICN connections to BKK westbound from the US are good, but the return is problematic - typically a red-eye ex-BKK followed by a very long (at least six hours) layover at ICN.
I have noticed that on my flights to DEL. It's a late evening departure from DEL, but the transit times, on the inbound to DEL, are always horrendous. I connect from LAX, maybe that's why!?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:58 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Isn't it 25k miles, if qualified within the first 12 months and 37.5k if qualified within the 2 years for TK Elite requalification? Ofcourse, I am assuming OP is not a TK citizen residing within Turkey!
You are correct. I enrolled with TK for the ease of qualifying and keeping star gold status. Redemptions arent so good but after a couple of years I found Krisflyer to be of minimal benefit and even though I didnt status match it only took 2.5 trips for me to get gold.

Eva air also does LA to BKK with one stop and ANA as well in star alliance. I understand EVA often has competitive rates for business class.

If wanting to keep Thai status its always possible to fly to ICN, PEK or NRT and onward with Thai. Will Thai codeshare out of US?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:54 am

Another consideration if you have family... NH allows you to pool miles.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Another consideration if you have family... NH allows you to pool miles.
As does OZ, and A3 if you are A3*G.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 10:01 am

SQ never gives free system upgrades like Thai ROP Gold (one a year) or United 1k (6 upgrades/year). Believe American also gives 6 upgrades a year for their top tier frequent flyers.Have been PPS Soliataire for several years and travel at least twice a month on SQ; can remember maybe 1 flight a year that I got upgraded for free due to overbooking. Otherwise forget upgrades by SQ! Exception is birthday upgrades for PPS solitaire members when flying on one's birthday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.