Wiki Posts
Search

Name Order

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 9:44 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Interestingly I recently booked a ticket on SQ using UA points (it's the SYD-CBR-SIN flight which seems to be wide open for other programs to book Business Class redemptions). The way the booking came through from United joined my first and middle name as if they were one name eg. JOHNTHOMAS JONES rather than JOHN THOMAS JONES. I'm not anticipating any problems as all three names appear in my passport
I had this for a while as I had included my middle name in my KrisFlyer Profile.

Never had any issues. Just looks funny on the Boarding Pass.

I eventually got my middle name removed from my Profile by visiting the SQ Office in Orchard Road. Couldn't get it done via the Call Centre.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by RTWFF
In my experience the airlines aren't fussed about the order of the names, just that the names on the ticket correspond to the names in the passport, irrespective of order. I was booked on MH and the agent had made the reservation Last Name/First Name rather than First Name/Last Name (or whatever way round it "should" be). I contacted MH who basically said what I've just commented. I have a partner who has both English and non-English names and two different passports. However the Australian passport incorporates the names on the other passport while adding further names. There's never been any problems with checking in. Nevertheless I wouldn't try it on a flight to the US
That's my experience too. My Wife has an even more complicated combination in her passport: Chinese Name including Western First Name and Western Surname and Western First Name printed in her Passport. But I use either her Chinese Name (without the Western First name) or the Western Name if I book tickets, it was never any issue. Just for countries where you would need visa (ESTA/ETA), I book with the full name combinations.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by cowie
This was what I was told by an airline: Ignore what's printed under the name field on the passport info page. Instead, the first of the two lines of machine readable code at the bottom of that page (the ones that contain lots of "<"s) determines the proper last and first names. It will start with "PASGP" if you are a Singapore passport holder.

Example 1: PASGPTAN<<CHRISTOPHER<LEE<TAT<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Last name: TAN, first name: CHRISTOPHER LEE TAT

Example 2: PASGPTEH<<MIN<LEE<BRENDA<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Last name: TEH, first name: MIN LEE BRENDA
Interesting. I was just having a look at my (and my wife's) Malaysian passports, and the machine code at the bottom is as follows (example)

MYSLEE<AH<BENG
MYSBRENDA<LEE<AH<LIAN

(Family names bolded/in purple).

So apparently for Malaysian passports there isn't even a consistent way for where the last name (i.e. family name) appears!

FWIW I always book my wife's plane tickets as Last Name = LEE, First Name = AH LIAN BRENDA and we've never had any problems checking in with a real person (machines/kiosks are 50-50 though).
Old Dec 14, 2018, 12:07 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao
Interesting. I was just having a look at my (and my wife's) Malaysian passports, and the machine code at the bottom is as follows (example)

MYSLEE<AH<BENG
MYSBRENDA<LEE<AH<LIAN

(Family names bolded/in purple).

So apparently for Malaysian passports there isn't even a consistent way for where the last name (i.e. family name) appears!

FWIW I always book my wife's plane tickets as Last Name = LEE, First Name = AH LIAN BRENDA and we've never had any problems checking in with a real person (machines/kiosks are 50-50 though).
Interesting indeed. This means your wife's passport does not conform to standards. Have a look at what's described by ICAO, summarised in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine-readable_passport

But yes, the general consensus is that most, if not virtually all, check in agents and immigration officers do not care about the name order. Your FFP might or might not care, but some do, as I have learnt the hard way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.