Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

IAH-DME Bag Questions for First time SQ flier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH-DME Bag Questions for First time SQ flier

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2013, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Bag Questions for First time SQ flier (IAH-DME; but would like any SQ Int'l help)

I've never flown Singapore Air before but my wife and I were thrilled to spend some OnePass miles (MileagePlus, I think now) to get Singapore Air and their reputation for a nonstop from Houston to Moscow for our upcoming trip to Russia.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...ge-allowances/
I'm curious what's the reasonable interpretation for those who have done more of these flights with SQ or just more international fights, in general. We don't have status on UA or SQ and we're in economy. We want to make sure we max out but not go over our baggage allowances both to Moscow and back to Houston.

First for carryons, it looks like one rollerboard that weights 7kg and free "personal items" like purse, laptop bag, etc. My wife will be doing rollerboard and purse- easy enough. But then there's me: If I were doing a domestic flight, I'd do my rollerboard and my laptop backpack that I stuff under the seat. However, this looks a bit more strict where that laptop bag might need to be just a little shoulder laptop bag. Or am I being overly paranoid about that second bag- what are the limits? And if I take my laptop bag and they don't allow it- does it get gate checked? Do I get charged for it (and how much)?

Then there's checked luggage. It looks like 2x 23kg bags each. No worries there- we'll even bring the luggage scale so we don't have issues on the way back. But then there are size restrictions as well. None of our pieces exceed the 62" qualification. But then they have the "2 pieces cannot exceed 106 inches". I've never seen that before on domestic flights. Is that strongly enforced? And if one of your bags is over of the two, do you get charged for 2 being over or how does that work? It looks like you would get charged $111 for one bag, from the link below: is that correct?

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/tr...aggage-excess/

Lastly, we're considering going over by design on the way back, bringing a bag in one of our suitcases that we bring so we'll have 5. None would weigh over 23kg so would we just be paying $111? If so, that certainly is better than paying for shipping from Russia so we might strongly consider doing that.

Also, one question unrelated to bags: it's a 777-300ER for the 12 hour flights SQ61/62. What kind of electronics are in the console? 110 or 220V? And what kind of plugs? I've looked on SQ's site and on Google and haven't been able to figure it out.

Thanks!

SI

Last edited by sterlingice; May 1, 2013 at 5:09 am Reason: (more general title as don't need IAH-DME specific answers)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 4:16 am

Programs: SQ Gold, CO
I have taken this flight numerous times over the last few years, going all the way to Singapore, in both economy and business. I have never had an issue with luggage sizes (I take two mid-sized Delseys), and my carryon was always an under-seat sized bag along with a very large computer bag. They have never ever weighed my carry on stuff either in Houston or Moscow. Since I have never originated in Russia, I cannot speak as to how fussy they can be.

The entertainment system quite good, although the operation can be a bit confusing at first. The movie/audio selections are quite good. Power is 110 volt and standard US plugs, although as I recall it will accept the 220 volt style as well and likely convert. Since everything I have is US, never had a problem. There is a USB as well that can recharge phones, and will allow you to bring your own music on a thumb drive if you desire.

The crews on these flights have been usually quite good, although the flights are always completely full. Catering out of Houston is good, out of DME it is not consistent.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response!

For the entertainment options, between my wife and I, we'l just be bringing my old Nintendo dsi and iPod so I should be set there. I'm still going back and forth about whether or not I'll actually try to use my laptop. We're going phoneless which feels a little odd but we're fine with being unreachable there (within reason). So that sounds like we're all set except for the unfortunate part where 6'2" me gets to sit in a middle airline seat for 12 hours.

I'd really appreciate more responses (i.e. data points) about bags from others on SQ in general, even if not on the IAH-DME leg. I'm just not sure what to expect. However, I suppose the "worst" that would happen is that we are out a substantial amount of money.

SI
Old May 1, 2013, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Anyone with a good answer with response to the carry on questions?

First for carryons, it looks like one rollerboard that weights 7kg and free "personal items" like purse, laptop bag, etc. My wife will be doing rollerboard and purse- easy enough. But then there's me: If I were doing a domestic flight, I'd do my rollerboard and my laptop backpack that I stuff under the seat. However, this looks a bit more strict where that laptop bag might need to be just a little shoulder laptop bag. Or am I being overly paranoid about that second bag- what are the limits? And if I take my laptop bag and they don't allow it- does it get gate checked? Do I get charged for it (and how much)?
SI
Old May 9, 2013, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, *A
about 6 weeks I sent my friend off IAH-SIN. At IAH, the SQ check-in desk had a basket like gauge for carry on luggage. a 15" laptop bag with normal packing should pass easily. I saw many people have 20" carry-on luggage.
From my observation, as long as the carry-on does not look over-packed, SQ is easy with it.

Originally Posted by sterlingice
Anyone with a good answer with response to the carry on questions?

SI

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.