Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Y on SQ What should I expect?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Flying Y on SQ What should I expect?

I'm flying IAH-DME-SIN. I've heard that the food from DME to SIN consists of beets and vodka.
I've little experience flying international. For those of you who fly SQ frequently, what should I expect?

Blanket?
Help yourself snacks?
Free drinks?
Some sort of tooth brush wash cloth package?

Yep, I'm currently economy middle section middle seat far back. How bad can it be? Am I going to free to death, die of thirst, and starve?

Any details regarding similar SQ flights appreciated.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:04 pm

Programs: M&M FTL / FB Silver / JP Silver / SkyWards Silver
Well, I flew BCN-GRU and back last month in Y.

The overall experience with Singapore Airlines was excellent (talking by the Y standards).

When you arrive to your seat you will find a blanket and a pillow. Then the FA will distribute a small "amenity kit" Givenchy labelled with a toothbrush, toothpaste and socks.

Before take off, the FA distributed the menus and in the first page it said all the beverages included. Vodka, Gin, some cocktails, Whiskey, beer, wine and soft drinks... All of these free, of course

There were two meals in the flight and also mid-flight you can go whenever you want to the galley and there are snacks, nuts, Lays, chocolate bars...

If possible, try to select an aisle seat since they are the best option in Y, unless you prefer a window seat (that was my option). A middle seat, is the worst option, so try to change it.

No thirst, no starve, only good meals and drinks ^
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Blanket? - Yep with pillow
Help yourself snacks? - Not help yourself but you can ask for them
Free drinks? - Yes
Some sort of tooth brush wash cloth package? - Yes
Old Sep 23, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Worth thinking about paying to pre book seats as well.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

What's pre book seats?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Help yourself snacks? - Not help yourself but you can ask for them
On the long hauls they will usually lay out snacks in one of the galleys including chips(crisps), chocolates and maybe even some bread rolls (with filling of course) where you can help yourself. No beets I'm afraid. For the aisle challenged, they do bring around the snack from time to time, or you can buzz and ask for them.

Originally Posted by TheHawk2002
What's pre book seats?
Pre-pay to allocate exit row/extra leg room seat. $50 per sector.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:40 am
Original Poster

According to what I've read, there are only 4 extra leg room seats on our flights. They are all bulkhead and baby changing areas.
I'm not a fan of bulkhead. I like to put stuff in front of me instead of the "unknown who will take it" overhead. Additionally some bulkhead seats have weird armrests.
Finally, since I am not traveling with my children. I don't really want to be in the area where other children are being changed.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by lokijuh
On the long hauls they will usually lay out snacks in one of the galleys including chips(crisps), chocolates and maybe even some bread rolls (with filling of course) where you can help yourself. No beets I'm afraid. For the aisle challenged, they do bring around the snack from time to time, or you can buzz and ask for them.
Really? I have been flying SQ for years and never noticed!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:12 pm

Programs: Singapore PPS Solitaire
In Business/First yes they do but usually overnight flights so you can help yourself whilst the crew is resting.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:49 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Definitely on A380's between SIN & Europe. And I'm pretty sure they also have in longhauls on 777's as well. And yes in economy.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:41 am

Definitely on A380's between SIN & Europe. And I'm pretty sure they also have in longhauls on 777's as well. And yes in economy.
i shall take note next time!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:15 pm

I usually just sleep most of the way between the UK and SIN. When i fly to Australia on the A330's i tend to move about a little. I might have a wonder next time.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

I still haven't decided my plan of attack for sleep/not sleep on this flight arrangement. It's going to be harsh either way!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold, EK Gold, SQ PPS, IHG AMB, Hilton DM
Not to sound too harsh, but if I may offer some pointers for the infrequent flyer:

- Don't fuss too much on what you'll get/won't get onboard. It is after all, Y Class
- Don't expect too much, even for SQ. Go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised
- Check in online to change your middle seat to an aisle or window if you can, otherwise head to the airport early and try to get a better seat
- Thousands others fly in economy on these flights everyday. Most survived and so will you :-)
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by KFly
- Don't expect too much, even for SQ. Go in with no expectations and be pleasantly surprised
^^ on this! Most people end up being underwhelmed by SQ because they had so much expectations going on board (must be the SQ girls).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.