FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

tboons Sep 6, 2016 8:00 pm

..... Didn't realise that Malaysia Airlines is excluded!

SQ319 Sep 6, 2016 10:57 pm

Quick question, I recently made an SQ reservation via Expedia (for the Citibank promotion) and was hit with a "CCY Conversion Fee". Can someone explain to me what this is and how is it computed?

It's not a big sum, but still, I wasn't expecting it.

noobwon Sep 6, 2016 11:17 pm

Buying Air Miles

Has anyone tried simply buying up airmiles to exchange for flights? Was reading up online and found someone people talking about it as a cheaper alternative

noobwon Sep 6, 2016 11:20 pm

Altitude Card Overseas

Also can anyone kindly advise me on

1.How much 1 air miles earned equates to in dollar value
2.Should I be charging all expenses to my Altitude Card (not on company's expenses) or would it be better to pay for everything in cash (in europe for 2 months)

Thanks in advance for helpful advice. Cheers

invisible Sep 6, 2016 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by noobwon (Post 27176132)
Has anyone tried simply buying up airmiles to exchange for flights? Was reading up online and found someone people talking about it as a cheaper alternative

No miles are such cheap that buying them would make economical sense.

invisible Sep 6, 2016 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd (Post 27175502)
I feel that we have lost more than we gained here.

LH/DL/AA/UA are not in the list - makes no sense for me whatsoever.

shuigao Sep 7, 2016 12:19 am

It depends on what flights you redeem and what value you put on them. For me, I "buy" some miles via credit card annual fees (e.g. Citi PM Amex is $267.50 annual fee which gives you 15,000miles, i.e. s$0.018/mile).

My last redemption was one way suites from SIN-NRT, which was 51,000miles and a retail value of s$4,950.90, i.e. s$0.097/mile.

Now ... from here on is where nobody will agree on the math. How "worth it" buying the miles depends on what value you put on the flights; it would be both correct and wrong at the same time to say "It only cost me s$909.50 to buy the 51,000 miles that I redeemed for a s$4,950.90 flight."

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 27176089)
Quick question, I recently made an SQ reservation via Expedia (for the Citibank promotion) and was hit with a "CCY Conversion Fee". Can someone explain to me what this is and how is it computed?

I know the date says Feb 2014, but it seems Citi's systems only implemented it a couple of months ago. I've been getting hit with the fee for stuff like netflix and adobe subscriptions.

Revisions to the clause on Dynamic Currency Conversion in your Cardmember's Agreement

Please be informed that with effect from 4 February 2014, any VISA retail card transactions presented in foreign currency that you choose to pay in Singapore Dollars at point-of-sale via dynamic currency conversion ("DCC") or any online Visa retail card transactions on overseas websites in Singapore Dollars will be subject to an administrative fee of 0.8% on the card transaction amount.

SQ319 Sep 7, 2016 2:57 am

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 27176281)
I know the date says Feb 2014, but it seems Citi's systems only implemented it a couple of months ago. I've been getting hit with the fee for stuff like netflix and adobe subscriptions.

Revisions to the clause on Dynamic Currency Conversion in your Cardmember's Agreement

Please be informed that with effect from 4 February 2014, any VISA retail card transactions presented in foreign currency that you choose to pay in Singapore Dollars at point-of-sale via dynamic currency conversion ("DCC") or any online Visa retail card transactions on overseas websites in Singapore Dollars will be subject to an administrative fee of 0.8% on the card transaction amount.

Ah thanks!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: I have a big purchase of close to SGD4000 coming up on SQ, am wondering if I should purchase through Expedia again, since I would have to pay for this additional CCY fee...

Another question re Expedia - How is Expedia's support service?? SQ may refer me back to Expedia if I need to make any booking related changes after ticketing. Not sure if expecting SQ-level service on Expedia would be setting me up for disappointment. :D:D

noobwon Sep 7, 2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 27176281)
It depends on what flights you redeem and what value you put on them. For me, I "buy" some miles via credit card annual fees (e.g. Citi PM Amex is $267.50 annual fee which gives you 15,000miles, i.e. s$0.018/mile).

My last redemption was one way suites from SIN-NRT, which was 51,000miles and a retail value of s$4,950.90, i.e. s$0.097/mile.

Now ... from here on is where nobody will agree on the math. How "worth it" buying the miles depends on what value you put on the flights; it would be both correct and wrong at the same time to say "It only cost me s$909.50 to buy the 51,000 miles that I redeemed for a s$4,950.90 flight."

Thanks for the advice and example

SMK77 Sep 8, 2016 2:01 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 27176199)
No miles are such cheap that buying them would make economical sense.

It's very easy to buy SQ miles for 2 SGD-Cents (1.5 USD-Cents) using certain credit cards issued in Singapore and that makes a lot of economic sense.

If you fly premium cabins, you might even buy for higher prices and it still makes sense.

invisible Sep 8, 2016 3:22 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 27181696)
It's very easy to buy SQ miles for 2 SGD-Cents (1.5 USD-Cents) using certain credit cards issued in Singapore and that makes a lot of economic sense.

Tell me where I can buy 100K miles on SQ for 2c. I need them next week.

natcin Sep 8, 2016 3:31 am

not sure what SMK77 would suggest, but off the top of my head would be to do a paypal transaction to a friend of yours using a credit card that awards 4 SQ miles/dollar for online transactions, and then having the friend do a local bank transfer back to you after withdrawing the funds to his bank account (deducting 2-4% paypal transaction fees).

there are no fees incurred for local bank transfer and withdrawing paypal funds to SG bank account. so the only charge would be the paypal fees.

SMK77 Sep 8, 2016 4:11 am

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 27181849)
Tell me where I can buy 100K miles on SQ for 2c. I need them next week.

@ invisible: For someone who just said buying miles makes never sense, that's a quick change of mind.

I just did one transaction and 99,000 miles were credited within two working days. You can't do more than that but you can do another transaction to get to 100K.

No manufactured spend. I buy straight from the bank. They get my money, I get the miles.

invisible Sep 8, 2016 4:25 am

Originally Posted by SMK77 (Post 27181974)
@ invisible: For someone who just said buying miles makes never sense, that's a quick change of mind.

I just did one transaction and 99,000 miles were credited within two working days. You can't do more than that but you can do another transaction to get to 100K.

No manufactured spend. I buy straight from the bank. They get my money, I get the miles.

Specifics?

Originally Posted by natcin (Post 27181874)
not sure what SMK77 would suggest, but off the top of my head would be to do a paypal transaction to a friend of yours using a credit card that awards 4 SQ miles/dollar for online transactions, and then having the friend do a local bank transfer back to you after withdrawing the funds to his bank account (deducting 2-4% paypal transaction fees).

there are no fees incurred for local bank transfer and withdrawing paypal funds to SG bank account. so the only charge would be the paypal fees.

If the above mentioned schema is suggested, then I have to note that 4m/$1 transaction for qualified credit cards are dependent on specific MCC. And my understanding is that person to person transfers are not falling in that category.

skysun Sep 8, 2016 4:25 am

I did bought life miles and recently redeemed a LH first class..