FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

carrotjuice Apr 22, 2015 5:35 am

Originally Posted by nycwaybe87 (Post 24690932)
wish someone could post a new thread about credit card because many of the info here needs to be updated

As with any thread on FT, read the wiki (if available), then read backwards!

carrotjuice Apr 22, 2015 5:38 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24697545)
I'm missing a few hundred miles this month again but it's like taking a few years of my life just talking to them.

I wonder if many of us in this forum who suffer the same "several hundred miles missing every month" issue can come together, collate as proof, and send in a complaint to UOB. And if we don't hear from them satisfactorily, this will be a strong class action case to notify MAS.

fern76 Apr 22, 2015 5:58 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24702330)
I wonder if many of us in this forum who suffer the same "several hundred miles missing every month" issue can come together, collate as proof, and send in a complaint to UOB. And if we don't hear from them satisfactorily, this will be a strong class action case to notify MAS.

I totally think it should be done and I am with you on this BUT

1. This is Singapore so the David vs Goliath class action thing doesn't really work out

2. Think it should be the hapless CASE which we have to notify and not MAS?

Sometimes I get so confused by the CSOs because they don't know what they are talking about. Just like the initial CSO telling me that Dancing Crab is not a restaurant that is awarded bonus UNI$ and the one who called me to 'follow up' saying that it is. I have lost the plot.

Also, I think they took all that time to call me back in the hope that I had forgotten. Thank God I still kept all my statements and handwritten notes (in the hope that I will garner enough energy one day to give it to them).

When the "follow up" CSO called, I actually asked her if she was new and her supervisor decided to send her to the biggest B**** customer for further training.

Anyhow, another option is to let the media know about this. That will be a nightmare for them, as it rightly should be.

Shame on UOB! I scoff all the time at their "UOB's Fair Dealing Commitment' on the last page of the statements. What an absolute lie.

rakso79 Apr 22, 2015 6:04 am

Any update on UOB PRVI versus ANZ Travel in the 1.4 miles category?

carrotjuice Apr 22, 2015 6:55 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24702393)
I totally think it should be done and I am with you on this BUT

1. This is Singapore so the David vs Goliath class action thing doesn't really work out

2. Think it should be the hapless CASE which we have to notify and not MAS?

On the contrary. Banks in Singapore are terrified of MAS their regulator.

fern76 Apr 22, 2015 7:43 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24702594)
On the contrary. Banks in Singapore are terrified of MAS their regulator.

I'm in either ways. About time UOB got a kick in their butt. PM me if u want to make a formal complaint.

lcpteck Apr 22, 2015 10:58 pm

I'm still okay with UOB, nothing major have affected me yet.

AddictedTraveller Apr 23, 2015 6:56 am

I wouldn't cause too much fuss because at the end of the day UOB isn't obliged to provide a credit card to me. If they don't like me no reason why they can't just cancel it.

percysmith Apr 23, 2015 7:17 pm

Do you guys have a system of complaining to the bank on paper by fax first, then escalating to the MAS with the bank complaint as attachment? We do in HK http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-funct...eaflet_b.shtml , but normally we can terrify the bank simply by faxing. I made SCB HK reinstate my points for something by fax that three CS refused to do by phone.

friendlyplanet Apr 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by chongsss (Post 24678155)
A return saver J redemption from SIN to LHR requires 136,000 KF miles and 866.90 SGD.

The same itinerary bought with cash would cost 7,416.90 SGD (for travel in Aug 2015).

In this case, 136,000 KF miles offset 6,550 SGD of airfare or one mile offsets 4.8 SGD cents of airfare.

Let's assume that I earn all my miles through UOB Preferred Platinum Visa on transactions which earn 10X UNI$ per dollar spent (= 4 KF miles per dollar).

If I value the flights at its actual cost, I am getting back at least 19.2% return per dollar spent (4*4.8), almost 4 times the 5% cash back offered by ANZ Optimum.

However, I am not willing to pay 7.4k SGD for a return business class flight to LHR. I am only willing to pay for the cheapest business class ticket available.

MH charges 3,765 SGD for a return J trip between SIN and LHR (via KUL) and I am willing to pay that amount. Using the same method of calculation, 136,000 KF miles offset 2,898 SGD of airfare or 1 KF mile offsets 2.1 SGD cents of airfare.

Using UOB Preferred Platinum Visa as the example again, my return would be 8.4% (2.1*4), still better than the 5% cash back offered by ANZ Optimum.

Ultimately, as shuigao pointed out, if one's valuation for J redemption is only 1,000 SGD, 5% cash back is a much better deal.

My valuation of the miles is similar to AddictedTraveller; I will probably look into rebates cards if they are offering >10% cash back (unlikely to happen).

Good analysis! Missing two points, though-

1) You would earn 6,700 miles x 1.25 C class bonus each way on a purchased fare.

2) There are no business saver redemptions from Singapore to London in August, 2015.

machineblue Apr 23, 2015 10:35 pm

I have waded through this thread multiple times and am trying to solidify my thinking on cards. What are the latest thoughts on best cards for dining related earn? Now that the PRVI AMEX is lowering the earn rate, it doesn't make sense to use that card for any dining activities if you currently hold a US based card that gives 2 miles/1 USD. Granted this is exchange rate driven. I know there are cards that essentially give 10x, but they seem very limited in terms of accrual limits/min spend etc.

jagmeets Apr 23, 2015 11:06 pm

The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread

@percysmith
We do.
https://secure.mas.gov.sg/consumerfeedback/

Don't even need a written initial complaint. Have used it twice after being given the run-around over email/phone. The MAS forwards it to a liaison and the bank is bound to reply in writing within 14 working days. Much better escalation than a sole consumer would usually get.

UOB resolved an issue for me within a week, and Citi ended up eating a small overseas charge that had been wrongly DCC'd. (They, perhaps correctly, blamed the overseas merchant bank processing the charge, but their follow-up was so shoddy that a terse email highlighting the man-hours, print & courier costs that they'd already incurred, and telling them it was my final communication and the next one would come with an invoice for the cost & $ value of my total time wasted (annual income over 230 8-hr days being the formula) - right from the start(much like card charges incur interest post the pay-by date), cc'd to a few (named) Citi executives had them just cancel the charge out of goodwill).

Perhaps, time to start asking UOB / others for a charge by calculation of points. And escalating early to annoy them enough to start giving the details in each statement?

AddictedTraveller Apr 23, 2015 11:33 pm

The response from UOB today after I chased them (following a lack of response for 3 days):

Please accept our sincere apology for the service experience with us. The inconvenience caused to you is deeply regretted.
We wish to inform that we are currently investigating on this matter.
Meanwhile, your kind patience and understanding is highly appreciated for us to provide you the outcome and investigation findings as soon as our findings are conclusive.

fern76 Apr 24, 2015 12:40 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 24712577)
@percysmith
We do.
https://secure.mas.gov.sg/consumerfeedback/

Don't even need a written initial complaint. Have used it twice after being given the run-around over email/phone. The MAS forwards it to a liaison and the bank is bound to reply in writing within 14 working days. Much better escalation than a sole consumer would usually get.

UOB resolved an issue for me within a week, and Citi ended up eating a small overseas charge that had been wrongly DCC'd. (They, perhaps correctly, blamed the overseas merchant bank processing the charge, but their follow-up was so shoddy that a terse email highlighting the man-hours, print & courier costs that they'd already incurred, and telling them it was my final communication and the next one would come with an invoice for the cost & $ value of my total time wasted (annual income over 230 8-hr days being the formula) - right from the start(much like card charges incur interest post the pay-by date), cc'd to a few (named) Citi executives had them just cancel the charge out of goodwill).

Perhaps, time to start asking UOB / others for a charge by calculation of points. And escalating early to annoy them enough to start giving the details in each statement?

Thanks. I am going to go and do this. UOB doesn't even want to give the MCC for the txns and asking them for formal calculations is like squeezing blood from a stone. I think a 6 month run around for me is more than enough.

jagmeets Apr 24, 2015 12:55 am

Keep us posted. I think I'll perhaps re-audit my UOB earning once I'm back in a couple of weeks as well.

fern76 Apr 24, 2015 2:47 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 24712842)
Keep us posted. I think I'll perhaps re-audit my UOB earning once I'm back in a couple of weeks as well.

Just sent in the complaint. Will keep you in the loop. And yes, you should audit your UOB earning.

carrotjuice Apr 24, 2015 4:25 am

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller (Post 24712637)
The response from UOB today after I chased them (following a lack of response for 3 days):

Please accept our sincere apology for the service experience with us. The inconvenience caused to you is deeply regretted.
We wish to inform that we are currently investigating on this matter.
Meanwhile, your kind patience and understanding is highly appreciated for us to provide you the outcome and investigation findings as soon as our findings are conclusive.

Gosh... If even UOB themselves "need time to figure out" something which is supposed to be simple and transparent like reconciling points awarded by simple totalling up, how on earth do they expect customers to figure out on their own? Or do they expect customers to be oblivious / sweep under the carpet?

carrotjuice Apr 24, 2015 4:48 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24712809)
UOB doesn't even want to give the MCC for the txns and asking them for formal calculations is like squeezing blood from a stone. I think a 6 month run around for me is more than enough.

This is something that cheeses me off as well. Why can't MCC be disclosed readily? Why must MCC be so "secretive" when customers should rightly know whether a particular MCC is awarded bonus points or not... Especially when their cards are specifically designed to benefit spends on certain MCCs more than others?

And banks are utmost hesitant to disclose the names of their key decision making personnel - perhaps they feel this then leaves no one really truly accountable for customer grievances. The decision makers hide behind their customer service department, relying on them to convey the grievance internally for "exception approval" so they don't have to deal direct with the "bothersome" customer. Problem is, oftentimes, the customer service department is staffed by junior personnel, some fresh off poly, and rapid turnover often means they get insufficient training, some don't even appear competent enough to understand the problem, much lest convey it correctly to internal channels!

I recently was given a run around for weeks by another bank on an issue and, ultimately, had to google their CEO's name and "guess" the person's email address so I could send in a complaint for the CEO's attention. Only when the bank realized I was serious enough to escalate to the CEO that they finally reversed their original decision which I was dissatisfied with. The irony was, the customer service person who finally contacted me to communicate the decision, was just parroting the response without having understood what my grievance truly was. Incredible.

percysmith Apr 24, 2015 9:51 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24712809)
Thanks. I am going to go and do this. UOB doesn't even want to give the MCC for the txns and asking them for formal calculations is like squeezing blood from a stone. I think a 6 month run around for me is more than enough.

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24713321)
This is something that cheeses me off as well. Why can't MCC be disclosed readily? Why must MCC be so "secretive" when customers should rightly know whether a particular MCC is awarded bonus points or not... Especially when their cards are specifically designed to benefit spends on certain MCCs more than others?

Same with HSBC in HK http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...ow.php?id=6863 . HUACA usually works but it's annoying to do so, especially now HSBC has started to adopt Asia Miles-like call centre waiting times.

Methinks they worry that marketing has botched their calculations (I once caught them out shortchanging me for HK$1,000), and they have to help me file a complaint which is as delightful as filling in a T/T form over a branch counter. They didn't realise I prefer faxing my own.

LchChester and I are working out how two card issuers, using the same card network (Unionpay), managed to classify the same terminal differently - one classified the merchant as dining, the other is hotel. Both cards were swiped within a minute of each other on same terminal.

LuisHK Apr 24, 2015 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice (Post 24713270)
Gosh... If even UOB themselves "need time to figure out" something which is supposed to be simple and transparent like reconciling points awarded by simple totalling up, how on earth do they expect customers to figure out on their own? Or do they expect customers to be oblivious / sweep under the carpet?

Why would you be surprised? I genuinely think they need the time given the messy, complex system they've got there.

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 24714568)
LchChester and I are working out how two card issuers, using the same card network (Unionpay), managed to classify the same terminal differently - one classified the merchant as dining, the other is hotel. Both cards were swiped within a minute of each other on same terminal.

One way to explain will be the unique merchant identifier is not MCC. The code from the network/terminal then maps into the Bank's internal classification mapping. (I assuming the 2 cards are from different banks)

LuisHK Apr 24, 2015 7:54 pm

http://www1.mastercard.com.sg/conten...al-offers.html

Had anyone used this privilege?

elliotng Apr 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Citibank rewards visa still gives 4miles per dollar for paying Singtel bills online right?

Archieflyer Apr 26, 2015 9:45 pm

Before you all get your hopes up, please read this : http://www.moneysense.gov.sg/~/media...3FEB85154.ashx.

In summary, there are some things that MAS will get involved in (mainly when a bank breaks MAS's rules & regulations) and a whole list of things that MAS will NOT get involved in (such as addressing service standards, contractual arrangements and civil disputes).

Unfortunately, issuance of rewards points for credit card usage is not something that is regulated by MAS. Maybe, if you are kind, the MAS officer manning the helpline will just forward the mail to the bank, but they will not follow up, because it is NOT their business. The bank, in all likelihood, will acknowledge the mail, send you something that says we are looking into it, and you are back to square one.

To be honest, I read about folks here going back and forth with the bank over a few hundred points or miles over months and you have to ask yourself if this is worth the time...

percysmith Apr 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 24725389)
In summary, there are some things that MAS will get involved in (mainly when a bank breaks MAS's rules & regulations) and a whole list of things that MAS will NOT get involved in (such as addressing service standards, contractual arrangements and civil disputes).

Unfortunately, issuance of rewards points for credit card usage is not something that is regulated by MAS. .

This parallels HKMA's policies regarding the banks it regulates:

http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-funct...eaflet_b.shtml

What We Can Do

* ensure that the handling of complaints by banks is thorough, fair and timely
* follow up complaints which raise issues of supervisory concern
* investigate complaints which raise issues of disciplinary concern regarding banks and their staff and, if substantiated, take appropriate action

What We Cannot Do

* interfere with banks' commercial decisions
* intervene in, or adjudicate, disputes between banks and their customers
* order banks to pay compensation to their customers
Let's just say my personal experiences are HKMA *does* intervene in credit card promotion disputes, and in a big way. Of course, not sure if MAS is so cardholder-friendly, but you shouldn't simply throw up your hands simply because of what it stated as policy (it should be read as - it can choose to not help you. Or help you).

AddictedTraveller Apr 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Had a look through the Jan and Feb bills and they are actually correct in terms of awarding 10X UOB$.

In terms of complaining the above statements are right, I doubt anything would be done by MAS to investigate. However there are other avenues.

Pesonally I'll just follow-up the complaint, at the end of the day if I don't think that UOB are living up to their T's & C's I can always take my business elsewhere.

(still waiting on the reply to my query lol).

jagmeets Apr 27, 2015 3:53 am

Archieflyer, while I agree that the MAS won't 'intervene', and I haven't read that whole link yet, my and a few friends' experience shows that they will forward your message to their liaison/designated officer with a bank.
That person usually wants to keep face with the MAS, has no clue about the issue and typically will rile a few people internally, in order to get a 'proper' response within the mandated time period. That in itself helps.

Eg: Yes, a 0.8% FX charge on top of a bad exchange rate in a DCC transaction is a 'commercial decision', but atleast the bank can't give you a run around on the wrongly processed DCC transaction.

And bank's take these things seriously (v true in Singapore & in general these days..rule#1 'Don't mess with the regulator'..and Compliance has, perhaps, been the only 'growth' area in many banks the past few years..).

If an issue isn't too frivolous, and one is in a head vs wall situation, I would use this as an effective escalation tool.

fern76 Apr 27, 2015 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Archieflyer (Post 24725389)
Before you all get your hopes up, please read this : http://www.moneysense.gov.sg/~/media...3FEB85154.ashx.

Unfortunately, issuance of rewards points for credit card usage is not something that is regulated by MAS. Maybe, if you are kind, the MAS officer manning the helpline will just forward the mail to the bank, but they will not follow up, because it is NOT their business. The bank, in all likelihood, will acknowledge the mail, send you something that says we are looking into it, and you are back to square one.

To be honest, I read about folks here going back and forth with the bank over a few hundred points or miles over months and you have to ask yourself if this is worth the time...

I wasn't bothered about it initially and let it go on under my nose for quite some time but it got to the point where it was not funny anymore and I had enough of their BS. I check my bills and UNI$ religiously every month after I realised that they were not tallying correctly during a random 'audit' I performed on my UOB statement. In fact, it was a post here that made me do the audit.

As a customer, I feel that I have the right to know why there is a discrepancy and if their answer is fair, it is fine. But do not give me the run around without proper answers. I do not appreciate that.

I did not think that the MAS would be bothered but I did get a response from them and UOB today. UOB is supposed to respond to both MAS and myself with regards to the issue. I am surprised and still not holding my breath so let's see where this goes.

Originally Posted by percysmith (Post 24725484)
This parallels HKMA's policies regarding the banks it regulates:

http://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/key-funct...eaflet_b.shtml

Let's just say my personal experiences are HKMA *does* intervene in credit card promotion disputes, and in a big way. Of course, not sure if MAS is so cardholder-friendly, but you shouldn't simply throw up your hands simply because of what it stated as policy (it should be read as - it can choose to not help you. Or help you).

I concur. We are paying customers and we do not deserve this poor treatment for sure. UOB just needs to take a few random miles off their thousands of unknowing customers to improve their margin. That is not right.

Originally Posted by AddictedTraveller (Post 24725671)
Had a look through the Jan and Feb bills and they are actually correct in terms of awarding 10X UOB$.

In terms of complaining the above statements are right, I doubt anything would be done by MAS to investigate. However there are other avenues.

Pesonally I'll just follow-up the complaint, at the end of the day if I don't think that UOB are living up to their T's & C's I can always take my business elsewhere.

(still waiting on the reply to my query lol).

I can take my business elsewhere and I was going to but their CSO randomly called me up again to 'follow up' on the case. Since it seemed like they were going to do the right thing, I just pursued it. But the CSO then decides to disappear without calling me back again. Seriously, how much time do they think I have to play hide and seek with them.

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 24726127)
Archieflyer, while I agree that the MAS won't 'intervene', and I haven't read that whole link yet, my and a few friends' experience shows that they will forward your message to their liaison/designated officer with a bank.
That person usually wants to keep face with the MAS, has no clue about the issue and typically will rile a few people internally, in order to get a 'proper' response within the mandated time period. That in itself helps.

Eg: Yes, a 0.8% FX charge on top of a bad exchange rate in a DCC transaction is a 'commercial decision', but atleast the bank can't give you a run around on the wrongly processed DCC transaction.

And bank's take these things seriously (v true in Singapore & in general these days..rule#1 'Don't mess with the regulator'..and Compliance has, perhaps, been the only 'growth' area in many banks the past few years..).

If an issue isn't too frivolous, and one is in a head vs wall situation, I would use this as an effective escalation tool.

Thanks for the heads up and yes, as I mentioned, I did get a reply from MAS and UOB. Very swift once u complain to the big boy.

I didn't think so much of my issues but over time, they have built up simply because they were unable to provide straight answers to my earlier ones. And because I knew I could not trust this bank anymore, I have records of all the CSOs I spoke with since last August and their responses so UOB can't blindside me about the issues.

Well, let's just see where this goes.

As I told the CSO who called me earlier and informed me that the call was being recorded for monitoring and service quality purposes, it would be a fine thing if they had any quality at all. ;)

rakso79 Apr 28, 2015 4:24 am

What is the review of the American Express Krisflyer gold card? It gives 5,000 bonus miles on the first transaction, +50% miles with S$5,000 annual spend and another +50% miles with S$12,000 annual spend.

Do people just take the welcome gift 5,000 miles and stop using the card because even with +100% miles, the UOB PRVI and ANZ Travel still give more miles per S$?

lcpteck Apr 28, 2015 7:23 am

Originally Posted by rakso79 (Post 24731790)
What is the review of the American Express Krisflyer gold card? It gives 5,000 bonus miles on the first transaction, +50% miles with S$5,000 annual spend and another +50% miles with S$12,000 annual spend.

Do people just take the welcome gift 5,000 miles and stop using the card because even with +100% miles, the UOB PRVI and ANZ Travel still give more miles per S$?

I took the welcome 5k miles only since there are much better cards out there.

rakso79 Apr 28, 2015 12:19 pm

How much do you pay to redeem those miles? I assume the 5,000 miles is still well worth it after the redemption payment?

AddictedTraveller Apr 28, 2015 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by rakso79 (Post 24734137)
How much do you pay to redeem those miles? I assume the 5,000 miles is still well worth it after the redemption payment?

The KF Ascend Amex has a higher sign-up bonus, and as I understand it you can only go for one of the co-branded cards sign-up bonuses.

rakso79 Apr 28, 2015 8:07 pm

What should you do with the Ascend... spent S$10,000 on it within 3 months and not just go for the 5,000 bonus miles for the first transaction?

From the AMEX site: Earn 15,000 Bonus KrisFlyer miles when you spend S$5,000 in the first 3 months upon Card approval OR Earn 35,000 Bonus KrisFlyer miles when you spend S$10,000 and above in the first 3 months upon Card approval

fern76 Apr 28, 2015 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24726342)
I wasn't bothered about it initially and let it go on under my nose for quite some time but it got to the point where it was not funny anymore and I had enough of their BS. I check my bills and UNI$ religiously every month after I realised that they were not tallying correctly during a random 'audit' I performed on my UOB statement. In fact, it was a post here that made me do the audit.

As a customer, I feel that I have the right to know why there is a discrepancy and if their answer is fair, it is fine. But do not give me the run around without proper answers. I do not appreciate that.

I did not think that the MAS would be bothered but I did get a response from them and UOB today. UOB is supposed to respond to both MAS and myself with regards to the issue. I am surprised and still not holding my breath so let's see where this goes.

I concur. We are paying customers and we do not deserve this poor treatment for sure. UOB just needs to take a few random miles off their thousands of unknowing customers to improve their margin. That is not right.

I can take my business elsewhere and I was going to but their CSO randomly called me up again to 'follow up' on the case. Since it seemed like they were going to do the right thing, I just pursued it. But the CSO then decides to disappear without calling me back again. Seriously, how much time do they think I have to play hide and seek with them.

Thanks for the heads up and yes, as I mentioned, I did get a reply from MAS and UOB. Very swift once u complain to the big boy.

I didn't think so much of my issues but over time, they have built up simply because they were unable to provide straight answers to my earlier ones. And because I knew I could not trust this bank anymore, I have records of all the CSOs I spoke with since last August and their responses so UOB can't blindside me about the issues.

Well, let's just see where this goes.

As I told the CSO who called me earlier and informed me that the call was being recorded for monitoring and service quality purposes, it would be a fine thing if they had any quality at all. ;)

For all interested, UOB has gotten back to me good and proper this morning.

One working day was all that was needed when MAS forwarded them my complaint.

I am satisfied with their investigations and am making sure they are writing me the explanation in black and white.

So yes, they are afraid of the big boy. MAS is your way to go if like an earlier post said, the complaints are valid.

Awesom Andy Apr 29, 2015 12:26 am

The UOB PRIV Amex/MC cards will have their earnings reduced to 1.4 miles per local dollar, and 2.4 miles per foreign dollar from 15 May. Wiki has been updated.

lokijuh Apr 29, 2015 12:42 am

Citibank Premier Miles Promo, new. 50% more miles (3 miles/$ in total) on foreign spend during long weekends for rest of year, registration required, min spend $1000 for period, maximum bonus miles 3000 (per period).

Covers:
1-3 May
30 May - 1 June
17-19 July
8-10 August (:td: don't they know 7 August is holiday too)
24-26 Sept
8-10 Nov
25-27 Dec

jagmeets Apr 29, 2015 1:25 am

fern76 - thanks for reporting back!

Statement audit - here I come!

percysmith Apr 29, 2015 2:02 am

Originally Posted by fern76 (Post 24737019)
For all interested, UOB has gotten back to me good and proper this morning.

One working day was all that was needed when MAS forwarded them my complaint.

I am satisfied with their investigations and am making sure they are writing me the explanation in black and white.

So yes, they are afraid of the big boy. MAS is your way to go if like an earlier post said, the complaints are valid.

UOB (Singapore banks in general?) seems super scared of MAS just for forwarding complaints under MAS cover.

HK banks are a bit more recalcitrant, but HKMA does show up in flesh, body and spirit into their offices if a complaint does drag on and involve a number of similar complainants.

vsepr Apr 29, 2015 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 24737249)
The UOB PRIV Amex/MC cards will have their earnings reduced to 1.4 miles per local dollar, and 2.4 miles per foreign dollar from 15 May. Wiki has been updated.

"From 15 May 2015, the earn rate will be 1.4 miles for every $1 spent (every $5 gives 7 miles), and 2.4 miles for every $1 spent OVERSEAS (every $5 gives 12 miles)."

Needs updating. 1.4 miles for every S$1 spent is for blocks of S$10, or every S$10 gives 14 miles.

If charge S$5, give 6 miles, S$15 give 20 miles etc, due to 3.5x decimal place rounding off.

jagmeets Apr 29, 2015 5:47 am

@percysmith - hasn't HKG always been more Laissez Faire?

percysmith Apr 29, 2015 6:19 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets (Post 24738034)
@percysmith - hasn't HKG always been more Laissez Faire?

Ask kaka