FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   The 'Best credit cards for KF miles accrual' master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1076196-best-credit-cards-kf-miles-accrual-master-thread.html)

demue Mar 20, 2015 12:48 am

Deleted

machineblue Mar 20, 2015 1:36 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24536258)
You should be able to link multiple "regular" Ezlink cards to the Imagine Amex (which itself also has an Ezlink function) for the auto-top up. However, keep in mind that it will make tracking the balance a whole lot more tricky and you may hit the max. 1K SGD value you can load onto the card rather quickly especially with lots of cab fares and 5-6 folks.

So constant checking of balance and top up of the Imagine Amex will be required and there is a limit to how much you can load with the XXX credit card onto the Imagine card to get good miles for your bucks. YMMV.

Can you set the imagine cards to auto top up as well from a different CC? I would assume this prevents them from being empty when you really need to use them. Probably the best scenario is for us to get 4 imagine cards all linked to a main credit card (earning 10x)for topping them up, and then managing two other EZ link cards from my imagine card.

Thanks for the tips. I am assuming with 4 cards we will easily hit the 2k/month limit on the charging CC.

demue Mar 20, 2015 7:34 am

Deleted

carrotjuice Mar 20, 2015 8:28 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24537422)
I'm not aware that you can set-up an auto top up from the CC to the Imagine card. I was under the impression that that part is a manual top up every time. Happy to be corrected though by our experts.

Correct. The EZ-Link portion can be set to auto top up via EZ-Reload. But the Amex portion must be topped up manually - and the easiest way is to do it via the Imagine app where you can preset a CC to charge and the process is rather simple.

Awesom Andy Mar 20, 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by staff (Post 24536228)
Relocating to SG from Australia in the next few weeks. Great thread and the first Wiki post is invaluable to me as a "fresh off the plane" expat.

What are the "churning" opportunities like in Singapore? In Australia we have seen massive credit card sign up bonuses in the past couple of years, and with the right strategy you can rack up a large number of points this way.

it appears like there are a lot of category bonuses for Singapore credit cards, i.e. you use a particular card for groceries, one card for dining out and so on. Is this correct?

Are there any credit cards that give you free status in any hotel programs? I'm aware of the SPG Gold status after 1 stay with a World Mastercard. Are there any other cards that offer status in other programs?

What banks are people here on FT using for their everyday banking? Are they all pretty much the same, or are there any standouts? When I lived in SG as a student I used UOB, although I don't know if they're any good.

Some cards have sign-on bonuses, but generally speaking, not really worth churning for. However, keep an eye out for promotions - especially when there's a new card launch.

Some people like to get all sorts of different cards (and it's not uncommon for locals to have multiple cards from multiple banks) to maximise their points/rebate earnings. Quite often, you can call the bank to have annual fees waived as well - something that simply doesn't happen in Australia.

Personally, I'm not aware of hotel status being given with credit cards apart from what you've stated, but others here may correct me.

In terms of banking, I'll make a few points here, but it's probably best to start a new thread if we want to discuss further. It's probably best to stick to a bank with NETS (think EFTPOS). There are still a few places where it's cash/NETS only for payments so it's a useful thing to have. Also, some banks now have accounts with bonus interest - e.g. I'm using OCBC 360, which earns 0.05% interest by default, but crediting salary into it earns an extra 1%, paying 3 bills (including credit cards) earns another 1%, and spending $400+ on an OCBC credit card earns another 1%. Other banks may have other products suitable for your usage. That's not bad for a risk-free rate where you can access instantly.

elliotng Mar 21, 2015 6:29 am

Anyone booked hotels with Kaligo to capitalise on their promotion with Citi PM? How long did it take for the miles to be credited after hotel stay?

Btw, for those who have signed up the DBS Black Amex and Altitude Amex recently to capitalise on the promotions, do note that the bonus points will only be credited 90 days after transaction. i dont understand why it is so long! Back to using UOB PP Amex rather than the DBS Black Amex.

SQueeze Mar 21, 2015 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by elliotng (Post 24541984)
Anyone booked hotels with Kaligo to capitalise on their promotion with Citi PM? How long did it take for the miles to be credited after hotel stay?

Btw, for those who have signed up the DBS Black Amex and Altitude Amex recently to capitalise on the promotions, do note that the bonus points will only be credited 90 days after transaction. i dont understand why it is so long! Back to using UOB PP Amex rather than the DBS Black Amex.

Kaligo bonuses are given in the same credit card statement. it's not itemised and I don't count one by one but by my guesstimate it is accurate.

The only issue I have with them is that I have turned up twice without the hotel having a record of my name (out of about 10-15 bookings). One of the incident was when the hotel was overbooked. Had to call Kaligo but their agents were quite helpful and insisted on the hotel giving me a room even in the overbooked situation. It was just a pain to be unable to rest immediately due to these issues.

Their manager has been in touch with me and promised to improve it.
For now, I always email the hotel in advance to ensure my name is on record and it has been fine so far.

Note that Kaligo is a 4th party. The hotel voucher that they issued will be under a different 'supplier' and not the hotel itself. I told Kaligo they better QC thoroughly their suppliers.

But overall I am still back with them because of the massive amount of bonus miles.

vsepr Mar 22, 2015 2:40 am

UOB PRVI Miles WORLD MasterCard Card update!!

http://www.uob.com.sg/assets/pdfs/ca...vi_milesmc.pdf

The following are the transactions under bill payment and payment of funds to prepaid
accounts which will not be awarded with UNI$:
Bill Payment
Establishments registered under the following MCC:
 6300 Insurance Underwriting, Premiums
 6399 Insurance - Default
Payment of Funds to Prepaid Accounts
 EZ Link transport
 EZ LINK PTE LTD (FEVO)
 EZ-LINK (IMAGINE CARD)
 EZLINK
 EZ-Link EZ-Reload (ATU)
 FlashPay ATU
 MB *
MONEYBOOKERS.COM
 OANDAASIAPA
 OANDA ASIA PAC
 PAYPAL * BIZCONSULTA
 PAYPAL * OANDAASIAPA
 PAYPAL * CAPITALROYA
 Saxo Cap Mkts Pts Ltd
 SKR*SKRILL.COM
 TRANSIT LINK PL
WWW.IGMARKETS.COM.SG

This card really charge 0.8% for transactions effected in S$. I got 1 transaction in S$ from Expedia, S$80.11, posted was S$80.75, S$0.64 more. When the charge is refunded, only refund S$80.11. I call in to get waiver because the transaction is refunded. For UOB PRVI Miles AMEX, no 0.8% charge for transactions effected in S$. Both AMEX and MC version award 6.25x UNI$. Treated as foreign transaction, just that the MC version has 0.8% charge!!

carrotjuice Mar 22, 2015 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by vsepr (Post 24545666)
UOB PRVI Miles WORLD MasterCard Card update!!

The following are the transactions under bill payment and payment of funds to prepaid
accounts which will not be awarded with UNI$:
Bill Payment
Establishments registered under the following MCC:
 6300 Insurance Underwriting, Premiums
 6399 Insurance - Default

When did this change come into effect? I only earlier this month got the card to charge close to $20K in insurance premium! Would be livid if the UNI$ was not granted.

Kilian Zoll Mar 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy (Post 24540916)
Some cards have sign-on bonuses, but generally speaking, not really worth churning for. However, keep an eye out for promotions - especially when there's a new card launch.

Some people like to get all sorts of different cards (and it's not uncommon for locals to have multiple cards from multiple banks) to maximise their points/rebate earnings. Quite often, you can call the bank to have annual fees waived as well - something that simply doesn't happen in Australia.

Personally, I'm not aware of hotel status being given with credit cards apart from what you've stated, but others here may correct me.

In terms of banking, I'll make a few points here, but it's probably best to start a new thread if we want to discuss further. It's probably best to stick to a bank with NETS (think EFTPOS). There are still a few places where it's cash/NETS only for payments so it's a useful thing to have. Also, some banks now have accounts with bonus interest - e.g. I'm using OCBC 360, which earns 0.05% interest by default, but crediting salary into it earns an extra 1%, paying 3 bills (including credit cards) earns another 1%, and spending $400+ on an OCBC credit card earns another 1%. Other banks may have other products suitable for your usage. That's not bad for a risk-free rate where you can access instantly.

Thanks for this!

lcpteck Mar 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Decided not to charge my Insurance Premiums to UOB PRVI Miles MasterCard. :D

UK_Ship Mar 22, 2015 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by staff (Post 24536228)
Relocating to SG from Australia in the next few weeks. Great thread and the first Wiki post is invaluable to me as a "fresh off the plane" expat.

What are the "churning" opportunities like in Singapore? In Australia we have seen massive credit card sign up bonuses in the past couple of years, and with the right strategy you can rack up a large number of points this way.

it appears like there are a lot of category bonuses for Singapore credit cards, i.e. you use a particular card for groceries, one card for dining out and so on. Is this correct?

Are there any credit cards that give you free status in any hotel programs? I'm aware of the SPG Gold status after 1 stay with a World Mastercard. Are there any other cards that offer status in other programs?

What banks are people here on FT using for their everyday banking? Are they all pretty much the same, or are there any standouts? When I lived in SG as a student I used UOB, although I don't know if they're any good.

Visa Infinite cards also give Gold status with Hilton (it definitely works with the HSBC one)

lsed Mar 23, 2015 4:47 am

Can I confirm if DBS W is still giving 10X for EZLink top ups? Seemed to hear some chatter on the local forum but not sure if it is conclusive.

yisme Mar 23, 2015 4:50 pm

does using uob preferred visa to buy stuffs in groupon give 10x uni rewards?

MilesBuzz Mar 23, 2015 6:54 pm

Which card then will give rewards points for insurance premium payments?

Savage25 Mar 24, 2015 9:12 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 24550686)
Can I confirm if DBS W is still giving 10X for EZLink top ups? Seemed to hear some chatter on the local forum but not sure if it is conclusive.

In a word, yes.

That local forum is full of morons.

lcpteck Mar 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Savage25 (Post 24557278)
That local forum is full of morons.

I'm not one of them. :p

yosithezet Mar 25, 2015 10:12 am

Does the Citi PM Visa give miles for EZLink topup?

demue Mar 25, 2015 8:48 pm

As of Mar 18 2015 IIRC all Citibank CCs don't earn miles / points for Ezlink reloads.

shuigao Mar 26, 2015 4:30 am

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz (Post 24554504)
Which card then will give rewards points for insurance premium payments?

Well, Citi PM does give miles for insurance payments.

demue Mar 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Well I just noticed yesterday night that Redmart is gone from KrisFlyer Spree. No announcement or anything like that. It was gone from my favorites and a search yielded no results. Bummer.

demue Mar 26, 2015 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao (Post 24567127)
Well, Citi PM does give miles for insurance payments.

In general for all or only specific ones like Prudential or so?

AddictedTraveller Mar 26, 2015 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24571346)
Well I just noticed yesterday night that Redmart is gone from KrisFlyer Spree. No announcement or anything lime that. It was gone from my favorites and a search yielded no results. Bummer.

Also noticed this yesterday - big shame and going to lose my business if this is permenant.

I also noticed that competitor "GoFresh" has also gone, even though it was only added this month.

Could be temporary - maybe a tracking issue or something.

SgFred Mar 26, 2015 9:08 pm

I rather you not mention certain things, considering some people are cut and pasting from this forum.

Savage25 Mar 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24560792)
I'm not one of them. :p

There's always exceptions :D

lingua101 Mar 27, 2015 7:02 am

I am in KL now having dinner at Simplyd. Charging my card and my UOB sms alert come in sgd. unthick in the slip, so i thick rm.

Bur 2 weeks ago I have similar incident in nandos nu mall. They said ot is in rm, but my bill comes in sgd

lcpteck Mar 27, 2015 7:57 am

Originally Posted by lingua101 (Post 24573094)
I am in KL now having dinner at Simplyd. Charging my card and my UOB sms alert come in sgd. unthick in the slip, so i thick rm.

Bur 2 weeks ago I have similar incident in nandos nu mall. They said ot is in rm, but my bill comes in sgd

The SMS may or may not be correct.

I remember receiving SMS showing SGD but actual transaction posted showing FCY instead.

lokijuh Mar 27, 2015 10:05 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24566036)
As of Mar 18 2015 IIRC all Citibank CCs don't earn miles / points for Ezlink reloads.

Where is that documented? I've checked and can't find it anywhere. That doesn't mean that what you say is not true, as I generally find banks here at best oblique in their communications, and at worst devious.

demue Mar 28, 2015 4:03 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh (Post 24574137)
Where is that documented? I've checked and can't find it anywhere. That doesn't mean that what you say is not true, as I generally find banks here at best oblique in their communications, and at worst devious.

It's been posted further up in the thread and we discussed alternatives at length. Need to dig for it, but iirc it was shown on Jan 2015 statement.

galliano Mar 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Pardon my sheer ignorance, for Krisflyer...

1. whatever miles that credit cards provide are only for future use to redeem upgrades or free flights right?

2. Upgrading to Elite Gold requires Elite Miles which is awarded based on actual flights a person takes. For example:. A person can have more than 100k Krisflyer miles (accumulated from CC usages) but he cannot qualify for Elite Gold status ... Right?

3. Is to me, the lounge access is most useful. I guess the only option now is to grab the Citibank Prestige card right? It allows one to bring travelling companions in FOC too.
The ANZ no longer provides Priority Pass lounge usage.

Apologies for being kinda ignorant bout this.

lingua101 Mar 28, 2015 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck (Post 24573379)
The SMS may or may not be correct.

I remember receiving SMS showing SGD but actual transaction posted showing FCY instead.

Confirm like nandos case, the transaction posted as sgd. sgd 9, although the sms said sgd8.93 and i cross the rm....

Sighh.....

lcpteck Mar 28, 2015 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by galliano (Post 24579737)
Pardon my sheer ignorance, for Krisflyer...

1. whatever miles that credit cards provide are only for future use to redeem upgrades or free flights right?

2. Upgrading to Elite Gold requires Elite Miles which is awarded based on actual flights a person takes. For example:. A person can have more than 100k Krisflyer miles (accumulated from CC usages) but he cannot qualify for Elite Gold status ... Right?

3. Is to me, the lounge access is most useful. I guess the only option now is to grab the Citibank Prestige card right? It allows one to bring travelling companions in FOC too.
The ANZ no longer provides Priority Pass lounge usage.

Apologies for being kinda ignorant bout this.

Someone replied to your post in the HWZ PremierMiles thread.

yosithezet Mar 29, 2015 12:32 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24566036)

How about UOB? Who does give miles/points for EZLink?

demue Mar 29, 2015 1:41 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet (Post 24581939)
How about UOB? Who does give miles/points for EZLink?

There is a post on this about UOB just a few posts up. No points / Uni$ with UOB from what I gather.

lsed Mar 29, 2015 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 24115937)
They too have gone downhill with this as the $1000 is actually the foreign spend equivalent of $1000+. Plus not only do those transactions have to be made overseas, you have to physically make them abroad (internet/"card not present" transactions do not qualify according to the T&Cs).

Crap I just realized my overseas spend on airline tickets for the PRVI milesare not qualifying for Limo rebates.

What's the purpose of this card anymore?! Higher forex fee via Amex, only 2.5 MPD compared to 4 on Visa Signature.

UOB cards are getting quite useless now!

Plus I had dinner at Meinl am Graben and thought I would be getting at least a couple thousand of miles via the PPA card, but I only got 2X miles for it.
Probably posted as a delicatessen / supermarket and not a restaurant!

lcpteck Mar 30, 2015 2:04 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 24586762)
What's the purpose of this card anymore?! Higher forex fee via Amex, only 2.5 MPD compared to 4 on Visa Signature.

Plus I had dinner at Meinl am Graben and thought I would be getting at least a couple thousand of miles via the PPA card, but I only got 2X miles for it.

It's still useful if your transactions doesn't hit above FCY S$1k or more and a protection against DCC. I wouldn't use the UOB PRVI Miles for Limo service since they changed the rules.

Yeah, default is 2x points which means you'll be getting only 0.8miles per $.

You have to be careful with UOB. As long as you meet the specific requirement, you'll be fine.

lokijuh Mar 30, 2015 7:59 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24577899)
It's been posted further up in the thread and we discussed alternatives at length. Need to dig for it, but iirc it was shown on Jan 2015 statement.

OK yes, I had read my Jan statement, but didn't see it on first pass, I see it now though.

One positive, I don't think it applies to ezReload (automatic top up). I was certainly credited points from my Citi PM card for ezReload transaction on 26 March.

vsepr Mar 30, 2015 8:16 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 24582088)
There is a post on this about UOB just a few posts up. No points / Uni$ with UOB from what I gather.

No UNI$ are awarded for PRVI Miles MasterCard for EZ-Link. PRVI Miles AMEX still awards UNI$ for EZ-Link.

More info:

vsepr Mar 30, 2015 8:25 am

Originally Posted by lsed (Post 24586762)
Crap I just realized my overseas spend on airline tickets for the PRVI milesare not qualifying for Limo rebates.

What about PAUL cafes in Paris? Is it classified as Bakeries (5462) or Eating Places?

Same thing happen to me in Japan for the UOB Preferred Plat AMEX. Very hard to tell the MCC code overseas even if they sell food.

Same thing for dept stores overseas for the Citi Rewards Card. Some convenience shops or shops selling Japanese sweets are classified as Dept stores, some are not. In some sections of big dept stores overseas's are classified as dept stores, some are not. Some examples are the basement supermarkets and eateries. Starbucks located inside dept stores are classified as Dept Stores!!

It's really a guessing game overseas. The best is not to be greedy. Stick with 5x (Citi PM, Citi Clear) or 6.25x (UOB PRVI Miles) overseas, unless you are very sure of the MCC code. Saves you the hassle of bringing so many cards too.

In my last trip overseas, I made too many wrong guess with Citi Rewards Card & UOB PP AMEX. End up the miles I earned is less than that if I charged all to UOB PRVI Miles or Citi PM/Clear Plat!!

demue Mar 31, 2015 1:33 am

I used Citi Rewards overseas in the US only for places that were quite clear cut like Nordstrom's, Macy's and some of the clothing stores (e.g. Armani outlet, Hilfiger outlet). All those posted fine with full 10x Rewards points.

In Japan, e.g. at the fine foods section of department stores like Daimaru, it is a hit and miss I agree. Citi Rewards may not work as not posting as department store and dining card may not work as MCC not right one.

Overall, dining outlets are the trickiest to score properly in my book. Hence I also just use a 2mls/$ card for almost all overseas spend (Citi PM, Maybank Horizon, DBS Altitude). YMMV