Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Converting Coach Award to Business Award (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Booked on Miles in Coach, want to go up to Business

A while back, with help of people on this wonderful board, I booked a roundtrip JFK to NRT in coach for 50,000 (next winter) miles. I now have more miles and was looking on line and noticed that Business class tickets for 100,000 miles on the same flight are open. Does anyone know if I can simply call AA and ask them to switch the reservation? Would there be extra charges? Taxes? booking fees? I just wonder, as I am still new to this game.

Thank you,

PedroNY

Last edited by dstan; Apr 23, 2009 at 11:49 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Apr 21, 2009, 9:56 am

You would have to pay to re-deposit your miles back into your AAdvantage account and then they can pull the Business Class award. I beleive the fee is $150 for the 1st ticket and $25 for an additional ticket coming from the same AAdvantage account.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:13 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 777lover
You would have to pay to re-deposit your miles back into your AAdvantage account and then they can pull the Business Class award. I beleive the fee is $150 for the 1st ticket and $25 for an additional ticket coming from the same AAdvantage account.
Nope, not true (and I used to think so, too). If one is moving "up" in award class, it seems that AA will make the change for no fee, just the additional miles. It's not written anyway in public view, but many have reported this, and I don't recall reading of anyone being charged.

So, should be no problem, provided availability exists.

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:18 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
I can confirm brp. AA has done this for me, even on a partner award.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:22 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Ditto. No redeposit fee. It's just a change. However, it could be that there was no fee because of status (EXP and PLT responded so far). I'd simply call and be nice.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There would be tax difference when re-ticketing (caused by exchange rate , actual fee changes, etc) that you would pay at re-ticketing.

(no experience in upward move.)
Old Apr 21, 2009, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Thank you for such quick reply. I will try tonight, see what happens.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
It's not written anyway in public view, but many have reported this, and I don't recall reading of anyone being charged.
It used to be written somewhere on the AA site. The fact that it's not anymore troubles me.

This guy quotes the original text from July 2006. He looks familiar.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/6151622-post5.html

Last edited by SuperSnoop; Apr 21, 2009 at 5:28 pm
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:31 pm

It just happened to a friend (that I helped and I was on the sidelines of the discussion). He is PLT had to pay to re-deposit his Milesaver Y and then they pulled the new set of mileage/certfiicates for a milesaver F. Was told that had he originally taken the F award when there were no Z seats and voluntarily downgraded there would have been no charge had the First class seats come available.

No change of ITN or dates.

Now, given the discussion above, I am thinking that he got taken advantage of!
Old Apr 21, 2009, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 777lover
It just happened to a friend (that I helped and I was on the sidelines of the discussion). He is PLT had to pay to re-deposit his Milesaver Y and then they pulled the new set of mileage/certfiicates for a milesaver F. Was told that had he originally taken the F award when there were no Z seats and voluntarily downgraded there would have been no charge had the First class seats come available.

No change of ITN or dates.

Now, given the discussion above, I am thinking that he got taken advantage of!
I have done it twice and no charge. Both times from C to F, basically just paid the tax differences.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by exc3ll
I have done it twice and no charge. Both times from C to F, basically just paid the tax differences.
C to F or C to Z? (F would indicate a change from milesaver to anytime award.)
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
C to F or C to Z? (F would indicate a change from milesaver to anytime award.)
Actually, it wouldn't be C at all. C is the booking class for a Business Class upgrade award on a paid ticket, not an award ticket.

So, it would be U to Z, assuming MileSAAver.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 8:57 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
The wiki Award Redemption page has been updated - could someone who actually has experience redeeming awards (I do not) please review? The page hasn't been updated in a while. Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2009, 2:33 pm
rty

Smile upgrade coach tickets to first class

I was wondering how to upgrade my coach tickets that I purchased using my miles points in the American AAdvantage program.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by rty
I was wondering how to upgrade my coach tickets that I purchased using my miles points in the American AAdvantage program.
You cannot upgrade award coach tickets. You can redeposit them for a fee and purchase upgraded tickets using miles IF inventory is available.

Some have rarely been able to change the coach award tickets to upper class by only paying the difference in miles. But its not standard practice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.