Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FRA to Kirn rail conx

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2008, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

FRA to Kirn rail conx

I would be grateful for some advice re a train connection at FRA.

I am inbound in J on LH from USA on the 23 july and arrive at FRA at 0935 . One of the few trains to Kirn that does not involve a connection departs at 1038 - I have assumed that i am not going to make this and am ready to wait for a connecting train at 1128.

Would there be a reasonable chance that I could make the direct one ?

Also, i can't find an online fare for the connecting train on the DB timetable - so cannot purchase the tickets online - is it much hassle to get them at the station?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
If you do not have any luggage and the flight is in time, you should be fine. The train departs from platform 3 of the regional station under the terminal. This is doable.

However: You need to buy a ticket from the vending machine to "6940" and this should be Euro 12.70. These machines could spoil you schedule because you need a university degree to use them the first time. However, you can buy the ticket online for about Euro 24.00. This is valid on both services, the regional and any long distance train and this might be the easiest solution for you if you do not mind overpaying if you get the earlier service.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 5:00 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yes, there is a chance you will make the train so if possible, have a flexible train ticket.

I have made 45 minute train connections. The train station is in the same terminal as you are flying into.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
If you do not have any luggage and the flight is in time, you should be fine. The train departs from platform 3 of the regional station under the terminal. This is doable.

However: You need to buy a ticket from the vending machine to "6940" and this should be Euro 12.70. These machines could spoil you schedule because you need a university degree to use them the first time. However, you can buy the ticket online for about Euro 24.00. This is valid on both services, the regional and any long distance train and this might be the easiest solution for you if you do not mind overpaying if you get the earlier service.
You are right in as much as the non conx service has a price on the net but not the connecting ones - it may be best to pay for this one .
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:12 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I think the reason why you can't buy the online is because this route is not part of the longe distance service of Deutsche Bahn but part of the regional network around Frankfurt.

Try the site of the regional transport area: www.rmv.de. Still no on line shopping but at least a price.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 1:49 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
The RMV vending machines are cr*p and always make me even though I know how to use them after 8 years in FRA

There is also a DB center right at the Regional Station and IIRC they sell (or at least should sell) RMV tickets. I have never used these counters but when I passed by I always had the impression that they are quite empty.

Bear in mind that it is not possible to buy tickets on regional trains anymore. They stopped to offer this service last year
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However, it is no problem to downgrade and to use a long distance ticket on a regional train. The long disctance train ticket leaves all options open (it is not possible to upgrade from a "Verkehrsverbund" (regional traffic authority) fare to a long disctance train or fare.

And totti is right: No tickets available on regional trains in "Verkehrsverbünde". If you board a train without a ticket you might be liable to criminal procecution.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
However, it is no problem to downgrade and to use a long distance ticket on a regional train. The long disctance train ticket leaves all options open (it is not possible to upgrade from a "Verkehrsverbund" (regional traffic authority) fare to a long disctance train or fare.

And totti is right: No tickets available on regional trains in "Verkehrsverbünde". If you board a train without a ticket you might be liable to criminal procecution.
You are right with the downgrade. Do you have any idea how this will work in future. AFAIK North Rhine-Westphalia canceled their contract with DB for regional traffic and want to negotiate with other providers. In this case a downgrade most probably won't work in future.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:26 am

I'll move this thread to the Germany forum, as LH is only involved to a minor extend here.

Have a nice day

totti
M&M moderator
Old Jul 2, 2008, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do not believe this matters. A DB rail ticket is valid on trains of other operators too. Try to book eg. Osnabrück to Emden and they put you on Nordwestbahn (NWB) with a DB ticket. For Munich to Bad Tölz they sell you Bayerische Oberlandbahn (BOB) on a DB Ticket. I appears that "Rail is Rail".
Old Jul 2, 2008, 6:28 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Originally Posted by totti
You are right with the downgrade. Do you have any idea how this will work in future. AFAIK North Rhine-Westphalia canceled their contract with DB for regional traffic and want to negotiate with other providers. In this case a downgrade most probably won't work in future.
Afaik this is only important if you are using a commuter ticket by one of the major logal networks like VRR (Verkehrsverbund Rhein-Ruhr) or VRS (Verkehrsverbund Rhein Sieg), where DB gets money from the network for providing the (train) service. Since a lot of S-Bahn trains got canceled and other were delays they did not pay the whole amount of money to DB since a few years.

If you buy a long distance high speed ticket with DB you will be allowed to use regional trains of DB in the future, too. So the downgrade suggestion of Flying_Laywer will work in the future, too, as he bought a DB ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
If you buy a long distance high speed ticket with DB you will be allowed to use regional trains of DB in the future, too. So the downgrade suggestion of Flying_Laywer will work in the future, too, as he bought a DB ticket.
The long distance (whatever speed) ticket allows you to make use of the trains of other operators, too.

I believe the one and only example is the InterConnex train from Leipzig to Warnemünde (it says "InterConnex - DB tickets not valid" on the DB website.

However, using the Düsseldorf example, you can use eg Regiobahn GmbH operated S28 from Düsseldorf to Mettmann when travelling on a long distance DB ticket between Frankfurt and Mettmann - no problem.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
I expect that DB to DB downgrade will work in future. I was just referring to trains which are not operated by DB.

The interesting question is how different operators compensate each other e.g. if DB collects the money for a long distance train and later on you use a regional train by another operator there must be some kind of clearing between those operators.
Old Jul 2, 2008, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by totti
I expect that DB to DB downgrade will work in future. I was just referring to trains which are not operated by DB.

The interesting question is how different operators compensate each other e.g. if DB collects the money for a long distance train and later on you use a regional train by another operator there must be some kind of clearing between those operators.
It works perfectly well for trains not operated by DB and it has nothing to do with Verkehrsverbünde. It works the same way as it works between airlines. A certain portion of the fare goes to DB, another portion to the other "carrier".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.