Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Assignments & Online Check in

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Gold)
Seat Assignments & Online Check in

Do the coach seat assignments that are held aside for elites (e.g. the bulkhead, first couple rows of Y) open up at the 30-hour window when you can do online check in? Or are they only available to reserve at the airport?

I have a very short connection (20 minutes) in DTW and would like to try to snag a bulkhead seat on the first flight, if possible. The closer to the front, the better!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:07 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
The seats are available when you check in, even 30 hours out.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:27 am

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I'd call NWA ASAP and see what you can do. If they're in a good mood they may take care of you.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

No dice with an agent helping. She said that she couldn't assign any seats farther forward than where I am, but to check again at the airport. I think I'll try early online checkin to see Iif I can snag one.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 6:08 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
We have had success switching to bulkhead on-line several times after the thirty hour check-in begins. Try it! (Just don't do it on MY flights, okay?)
Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

LexPassenger: I will try it at work tomorrow where I have a printer. I don't think you have to worry about me taking your bulkhead seat...unless you're flying between STL and DTW Friday morning!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:48 pm

"Select Seating" (normally the first 5-8 rows of the Y cabin are not available online (at least according to what we are told) are not available to non-elite or non-premium far customers when checking in online or on the e-kiosk. Effective next week (the 22nd if I remember correctly) they will be made available 2 hours before flight to all customers. A few months ago, the programming was changed to omit "Select Seating" as an option to non-elite and non-premium customers...this turned out to cause some problems...we'll see if the "fix" next week will solve them.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Vegas Agent. I know that in the past (now, we're talking about 18 months ago...since I moved to STL, I've been a mainly- AA customer!) I could switch to bulkhead at the airport via the kiosk. Apparently this is no more?
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Just checked in online this morning and it allowed me to choose 5A (on a DC-9) as a seat assignment. We'll see if it actually holds through until tomorrow morning! Thanks for the tips, all!
Old Jul 17, 2003, 7:31 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I am elite, but there are seats we can't pre-select. Specifically, there is no way to get exit row seating on Pinnacle in advance (you can get exit row on Mesaba by calling). I have always been able to get exit row on Pinnacle when checking in on line 30 hours out. That's why I said yes previously.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Many times the "Premium" inventory includes seat tagged with the wheel chair icon. During reservation, you cannot select an exit or one of these seats flagged with the wheel chair.

It has been my experience that the "wheel chair" seats become available in the 30 hour check in window. However, you cannot snag a designated exit row. A phone call, or airport check in are the only ways to get those seats.

On another note, Vegas Agent writes:
"Effective next week (the 22nd if I remember correctly) they will be made available 2 hours before flight to all customers. A few months ago, the programming was changed to omit "Select Seating" as an option to non-elite and non-premium customers...this turned out to cause some problems...we'll see if the "fix" next week will solve them."

I grow concerned that the priority seating will now get more crowded as non-elites are allowed to select seats in those areas. Frankly, I like the exclusion becuase it frequently results in a seat open next to me. I hope their programming fix returns their ability to select seats, but limits them to only non-"elite" seats.
Old Jul 17, 2003, 8:07 pm
cervisiam

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DL Platinum:
It has been my experience that the "wheel chair" seats become available in the 30 hour check in window. However, you cannot snag a designated exit row. A phone call, or airport check in are the only ways to get those seats.
</font>
do you mean you cannot get an exit row seat outside of the 30 hours? or you can't get one even within 30 hours?

the reason i ask, is that on my nrt-sfo leg, i was able to select an exit row seat through the online check-in...

Old Jul 18, 2003, 6:49 am

You most definitely can select an exit row using online check-in (unless it is a very recent change). Also, as an elite, you can always get an exit row in advance, by phone, on NW, CO, KL, and Mesaba. You can't get handicap seating, and you can't get exit row seating on the phone on Pinnacle for some reason (but you can checking in online).
Old Jul 18, 2003, 9:18 pm

Location: MCO (well, actually DWS, but that airport hasn't seen a landing in a long time)
Programs: Formerly Worldperks, now Skymiles ... no status to speak of
I'm not an Elite. I usually try for a bulkhead seat when I do the online check-in. I've been about 95% successful so far. In the cases where I wasn't able to get it, I ended up speaking with an agent at the airport, and got either a bulkhead or exit row seat roughly 90% of the time. (maybe I just have good luck, or maybe I'm flying non-crowded routes)
Old Aug 15, 2003, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
The programming has been changed.

My non-elite brother flew here Aug 4, and I was able to check him in online 24+ hours before departure and score bulkhead seats. His return is tomorrow, and now the "Change Seats" function on nwa.com online check-in looks similar to when one buys tickets online - the good seats are marked "P" and are not available to non-elites.

Mixed emotions here - the change keeps non-elites from scoring our beloved Premium seats in the event we don't get upgraded. However, it sucks for getting my non-elite family members good seats. Ah well, life is full of good and not so good things. This is a minor issue in the big picture.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.