Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting from DL to Gol in GRU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Connecting from DL to Gol in GRU

I feel a little stupid asking a question about my (former) hometown, but the fact is that GRU was always my final destination; it'll be my first time actually connecting there.

My itinerary is:
SFO-ATL-GRU with DL in F/C
3 hours layover in GRU (if all goes well!)
GRU-REC (that's Recife) with Gol
I'll be on 2 separate tickets.

Questions:
Would DL check my luggage all the way through?
Do I have to retrieve my luggage and go through customs? If yes, where do I give it back?
Will I have issues with luggage weight? DL allows me 2 x 70 lb and Gol is probably on the piece concept.
I'm planning on online check-in for the Gol flight (probably at the DL lounge in ATL).

Maria
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
you MUST get the luggage and go through customs, so checking it all the way through is relevant only for the return trip (I don't know if itisn possible). You give it back at GOL's check-in (when checking-in online you can select if you have luggage).
Old Dec 10, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
I am not a Gol expert, but I doubt you'd be able to check your luggage all the way to REC and vice-versa. You will most likely have to retrieve in GRU, go through Customs and re-check them at the Gol check-in counters. If you have already checked-in online, there is a special line at check-in just to drop your luggage. Regarding luggage weight, I think you better confirm it on Gol's website, as it may be more stringent during holiday time.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:31 pm

Programs: AE*E
Maria,

I flew AC to GRU then on to REC, on GOL, in November; probably the same GOL flight leaving GRU mid-afternoon. I, too, had two bags, one I think was over the 23 kg, (GOL allows one bag, max. of 23 kg according to their website). I was prepared to pay for the excess but no queston was asked and no excess charges. Appeared to be lots of other people doing the same.

Regarding Flying Rabbit's advice I am sure this accurate, you would have to retrieve your bags through customs in GRU.

BTW, in another thread topic it was mentioned that:

" There is a baggage/ticketing agreement between Gol and DL since 14 Jun, don't know if it will expand into something more, i.e. mileage-earning."

Might want to check that out with Delta. But, regardless if the baggage is tagged through to REC you would have to pick it up.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zack

" There is a baggage/ticketing agreement between Gol and DL since 14 Jun, don't know if it will expand into something more, i.e. mileage-earning."

Might want to check that out with Delta. But, regardless if the baggage is tagged through to REC you would have to pick it up.
I've just checked with DL. They do have a luggage agreement with Gol. Upon check in here in SFO, all I have to do is show my Gol E-Ticket so my luggage will be tagged to REC.

Thanks all for the replies.^
Old Dec 23, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
SFO-ATL-GRU with DL in F/C

Hi MariaSF:

My family and I are traveling from ATL to GRU and then GOL to GIG as well. We will be leaving 12/26 and are in F as well on DL. Just wondering if that was the same flight you were taking?
Radonc1
Old Feb 18, 2008, 2:41 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by MariaSF
I've just checked with DL. They do have a luggage agreement with Gol. Upon check in here in SFO, all I have to do is show my Gol E-Ticket so my luggage will be tagged to REC.

Thanks all for the replies.^
But I assume you had to clear immigration, claim luggage and re-check in for GOL in GRU, correct? Your insights would be appreciate.

Tks,
Old Feb 18, 2008, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat; UA.
Originally Posted by hardiwv
But I assume you had to clear immigration, claim luggage and re-check in for GOL in GRU, correct? Your insights would be appreciate.

Tks,
In 2006 I flew to GRU on AA, then to REC on TAM. My bags were tagged all the way to REC. However on arrival at GRU I had to pick up the bags and go through customs. Then I checked in with TAM for the flight to REC -- at that point the gate agent actually removed the original REC tags and attached new ones.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

I'm the OP, and here's what happened:
Checked in with DL in SFO and, after the agent took 10 minutes to find out what code to use for GOL (it's G3), I got my bags tagged all the way.
During the long layover in ATL, I checked in online for the Gol flight the next morning. When I got in GRU, had to go through immigration, pick up bags, go through customs, get landside, go upstairs, change terminals, and recheck bags with Gol. They did put new tags (some bar code issue, I suppose), though.

It was the morning of Dec. 23th, GRU was crowded and Gol's lines were 300m long (it was all the way through the hallway that links the two terminals). I asked an employee where I should drop off my already tagged bags, and she pointed me the priority check in for "closing" flights, even though I was 2 hours early.

From DL's landing to my arrival at the gate for Gol's flight, it took me about 40 minutes. Gol's flight was delayed, but that's another story...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.