Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star 1/2/3 Rule Changes eff 01 May 2007

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Rule Changes - effective 01 May 2007 - STAR1 / STAR2 / STAR3

Comparing the last set of rules with the new set, this is what I can find that's different between them.

SVX (Ekaterinburg) is considered as Area 2 under the "only 1 crossing between IATA area 2 and IATA area 3" rule.

BOOKING CLASS AMENDMENTS :
For SQ OZ LH LX - if A not offered/available, book D.
For UA, if D not offered, book A. If D/A not available, book Y

"Common City" Points amended :
THE FOLLOWING POINTS/AIRPORTS SHALL BE CONSIDERED AS ONE CITY IN ADDITION TO IATA LIST OF CITIES WITH MULTIPLE AIRPORTS (SEE IATA PASSENGER AIR TRARIFF):
- WAS/BWI
- FLL/MIA/PBI
- LAX/ONT/SNA/BUR
- SFO/OAK/SJC
- OSA/NGO
- CPH/MMA
- MUC/AGB
- PRN/SKP
- KRN/LKL
- MQP/MTS
- MSU/PZB
- WKJ/UUS
- ISG/TPE
- KBV/PEN
- GIS/NPE
- CUN/SAL

NEW TICKETING DEADLINES :
For Tickets Issued Worldwide (*except Europe) :
Reservations and ticket issuance must be made at least one day prior to departure for sectors up to and including the first international sector. (*Europe - wording reads "up to and including first intercontinental sector"). Other sectors may be booked at anytime.
(Previous wording was "must be made anytime prior to departure").
New Deadlines for Economy Class Only :
- For reservations made 30 days or more prior to departure, ticketing must be completed 21 days prior to departure.
- For reservations made 21-8 days prior to departure, ticketing must be completed 7 days prior to departure.
- For reservations made 7-1 days prior to departure, ticketing must be completed 1 day prior to departure.
EXCEPTION - No advance reservation and ticketing issuance required for passengers originating in the South West Pacific.

- BD and US have joined AC LO LX OS OZ SK TP TG SA SQ & UA in possibly having their own ticketing deadlines. The wording reads "may apply ticketing limits".

- SK has increased the surcharge for their Economy Plus product to USD500.00. (Was 300.00). Booking class for this also changed from Y to S.

- SQ 773ER surcharges keep on rollin' !
SIN-HKG V.V. SQ 862/SQ 861 USD 300
SIN-SEL V.V. SQ 016/SQ 015 USD 300
SIN-PAR V.V. SQ 334/SQ 333 USD 500
SIN-MIL V.V. SQ 378/SQ 377 USD 500
SIN-BCN V.V. SQ 378/SQ 377 USD 500
SIN-FRA V.V. SQ 326/SQ 325 USD 500
SIN-ZRH V.V. SQ 346/SQ 345 USD 500
SIN-SFO V.V. SQ 016/SQ 015 USD 600
SEL-SFO V.V. SQ 016/SQ 015 USD 500

- CUBA :
Wording to finally settle this issue once and for all - although most of us have known this "rule" has existed for some time and have booked/ticketed Cuba segments following the guidelines now listed.
"IF A RTW ITINERARY INCLUDES TRAVEL TO/FROM/VIA CUBA IT MAY NOT BE SOLD IN THE USA NOR ORIGINATE IN THE USA NOR INCLUDE FLIGHT SEGMENTS FOR TRAVEL ON UA OF US OPERATED OR MARKETED FLIGHTS. THE TICKET CANNOT BE SOLD TO US CITIZENS AND CANNOT BE ISSUED ON UA OR US TICKET STOCK AND NEITHER UA NOR US CAN RECEIVE ANY REVENUE FROM A RTW ITINERARY
INVOLVING CUBA. THIS IS DUE TO US GOVERNMENTAL
RESTRICUTIONS/EMBARGO."

That's it. Nothing that'll make you want you to beat your head against the wall !

Last edited by Al B; Apr 30, 2007 at 1:42 pm
Old Apr 30, 2007, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by Al B
- SK has increased the surcharge for their Economy Plus product to USD500.00. (Was 300.00). Booking class for this also changed from Y to S.

Following the new higher prices this is just ridiculous... I would NOT pay that much for such an upgrade. USD 1000 for two Y sectors?! No thanks!

Oh and by the way, thanks Al B for the update!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
For UA, if D not offered, book A. If D/A not available, book Y
Does this mean that on UA if you can't get business class and there is first availability you get effectively get first for free?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Does this mean that on UA if you can't get business class and there is first availability you get effectively get first for free?
well its always been that way as far as i remember, this pretty much only applys to domestic 2 class flights...
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:23 am

That's it. Nothing that'll make you want you to beat your head against the wall !
thanks al b! the only thing that makes me want to put my head thru the wall are the new RTW prices...
Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
So, where's the cheapest place NOW to start a xRWSTARx in Europe ?
Is ARN still a good choice now that ZAG has been enhanced to higher pricing ?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:12 am

Rule Changes ... Nothing that'll make you want you to beat your head against the wall !
Well, not quite:
FIRST & BUSINESS CLASS -- Reservations and ticket issuance must be made at least one day prior to departure for sectors up to and including the first international sector.
I understand this to mean that we can no longer fly into a city, have the RTW ticket issued at the airport, and then begin the RTW all in the same day.

OK, maybe not beat my head against the wall, but maybe grimace and frown a bit.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:56 am

Programs: SAS Gold, FB Gold, BA Gold, EY Silver
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Is ARN still a good choice now that ZAG has been enhanced to higher pricing ?
The FRWSTAR prices ex-Sweden went up by like 40%, so I wouldn't think so...
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wideman
I understand this to mean that we can no longer fly into a city, have the RTW ticket issued at the airport, and then begin the RTW all in the same day.
Yeah - indeed. Never thought about that aspect.
Amended the original paragraph in the first post to better reflect the situation.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 6:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by wideman
Well, not quite:

OK, maybe not beat my head against the wall, but maybe grimace and frown a bit.
If the departure flight was scheduled for after midnight I think it would still be okay to arrive that evening to ticket?
Old Apr 30, 2007, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
If the departure flight was scheduled for after midnight I think it would still be okay to arrive that evening to ticket?
That would be my reading, as well.
Old May 5, 2007, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Quick update to add that the rule revisions relating to Economy class as above also relate to the Star Special. Can find no other differences to the Star Special than what was already relayed above.
Old May 6, 2007, 4:58 am

Updated rules from NZ:
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/agent...es/default.htm
Old May 6, 2007, 9:32 am
glg

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
It says "not offered", not "not available". This is because UA calls the upper class in 2 class domestic "first", not "business" and sells it as F/A, not C/D. So, on a 2 class United on a CRWSTAR, you get "first". The Y part is for the single class TED and United Express flights.
Old May 6, 2007, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jarino
THANKS, jarino.

cheers,

Henry

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.