Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Enjoying my time in the Wing F lounge at HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:13 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life

Came out to the airport a few hours early to check things out here. On my last HKG trip back in 2001, I was a UA flyer, and now, using the lounge here, I really appreciate the One World Emerald status that flying AA gives me.

I've checked out the audio/video units (watched CNN and listened to a Shania Twain CD), had a couple snacks (ice cream, pound cake), a few drinks (champagne cocktail, glass of sauvignon blanc, and a diet coke), and I'm looking forward to dinner in about an hour. Don't need a shower, so haven't checked out that part of the lounge.

I see another visit to HKG in my future, perhaps later this year. I'm on a One World award this time in coach (no biz availability) which will take me down to Melbourne to see my friend Natalie compete in World Swimming Championships there. I hope some of you will be able to watch the competition in the days ahead (she holds 5 Olympic medals from Athens, including two golds, so will hopefully do well).
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:37 am
Community Director Emerita

Try the dan dan noodles. They are made at the noodle bar on the biz side, but the waiters will go get a bowl for you in the first class side.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:17 am
Original Poster

I don't think I have any room left after dinner in the restaurant here. Here's what I had:

--lamb skewers
--chicken tandoori skewers
--smoked salmon
--a couple of salmon appetizers
--tiramisu
--strawberry tart
--chocolates
--glass of merlot

Thank God I did walk all the miles I did the last 4 days and burn off calories

Then I went back out to the main floor and got a glass of champagne to properly view the internet (and I'm listening to Abba Gold at one of the workstations in the background). Have to admit this is the nicest lounge I've ever been to, without exception. ^ I'm coming back (and so nice of them to let me check in 6 hours before departure).
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:12 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by tom911
I don't think I have any room left after dinner in the restaurant here. Here's what I had:

--lamb skewers
--smoked salmon
--tiramisu
--strawberry tart
--chocolates
--glass of merlot

Have to admit this is the nicest lounge I've ever been to, without exception. ^ I'm coming back (and so nice of them to let me check in 6 hours before departure).
tom911 - I'm envious. I'd check in early too! I assume The Wing is Cathy Pacific's F lounge. I note you're flying coach and you can use the F lounge. Clearly this isn't the Star Alliance!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:20 am
Original Poster

No, this is OW, and it's a pretty nice benefit that Star Alliance doesn't have. I used the BA First Class lounge at London Gatwick last month, and the BA First Class Lounge at SFO (which is really nothing to get excited about) Sunday morning, and will take my chances with Qantas next week (though they have allowed me in the F lounge in Brisbane at least twice before, so not expecting a problem).

I'm using a One World award which Magic111 brought me up to speed on last year. These come in real handy for multi-segment trips. I'm only doing 4 segments, but he booked one with 16! I'm going to stretch my legs now and head off to board my MEL flight (an hour before departure now).
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

--lamb skewers
--smoked salmon
--tiramisu
--strawberry tart
--chocolates
--glass of merlot

You missed out on the made-to-order Chinese noodles !

And ice cream !

Hope you had enough !
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:49 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The F dining rooms at the Wing/Pier are catered by the Peninsula (hence the high quality of the food served; even their wrapped sandwiches for take-away are quite good). There is always at least one fish dish and both western and chinese classics. Plus salad that includes radicchio, endive, etc. (hard to find in Asia). The smoked salmon is usually Balik, fwiw.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Try the dan dan noodles. They are made at the noodle bar on the biz side, but the waiters will go get a bowl for you in the first class side.
actually. is there anything that you can order and is not on the menu? (And would be worth to ask...)
Old Mar 22, 2007, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by kaka
actually. is there anything that you can order and is not on the menu? (And would be worth to ask...)
For breakfast - eggs to your liking I think... though never had the time to ask!
Old Mar 22, 2007, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
And ice cream !
I made two trips up to the short bar for ice cream. Tom likes ice cream

Posting from Melbourne now, at the Australia on Collins food court (free wi-fi)
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
No, this is OW, and it's a pretty nice benefit that Star Alliance doesn't have.
Except if you're a OW flyer travelling in F where you have all those stinky emeralds taking up your lounge space!

This is one area where I think the *A rule is better--the F lounges are more exclusive and generally better (CX in HKG is a big exception, of course) than the OW F lounges which have slowly been downgraded to accommodate the hordes of emeralds flying in C/Y.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:28 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by qasr
Except if you're a OW flyer travelling in F where you have all those stinky emeralds taking up your lounge space!

This is one area where I think the *A rule is better--the F lounges are more exclusive and generally better (CX in HKG is a big exception, of course) than the OW F lounges which have slowly been downgraded to accommodate the hordes of emeralds flying in C/Y.
The only F lounge(s) I have found overcrowding have been the BA lounges At LHR - and most of the people in there were BA Golds rather than other OW emeralds.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
When I was in the Pier F lounge last year, I saw these groups of people bringing "Cafe Coral" (aka food court take out) food to the restaurant area, and I was like "Geeezz"..
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
I don't often travel through The Wing/Pier in the middle of the day, so I was quite surprised yesterday at around 1:15pm to find The Haven full and a waiting list in place. Maybe they do need a bigger area. Has anyone ever seen anyone using the Games Zone?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:55 pm

Programs: CXDM, SQ Gold, SPG, HHonors and Shangri-La
Yes! Very often grown men in suits playing Daytona 2/3... talking on their mobile at the same time of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.