Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Muscat REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:10 am
Original Poster

I recently spent three nights at the Grand Hyatt Muscat using FFN and offer the following observations:

The GH Muscat has the most unusual design of any hotel that I have ever seen outside of Disneyland. It is pure kitch and is design without function.
The interior design is also strange as there are half floors in some locations.

As a Diamond, I was upgraded to the Grand Club and the welcome amenity (already in my room with a note from the GM) was a huge cornucopia (enough for 4-6 people) for fruit including a full pineapple and many exotic fruits - some of which I had never seen before.

The Grand Club was without doubt one of the best that I have seen - including the Hawaii resorts. It is large, with many rooms and has a large out of door area. At night, there is soft lighting and music and the atmosphere is similar to what you would expect in a top class nightclub. There were great spreads at breakfast and in the evening and lots, and lots of booze.

Breakfast is served between 7:00-10:30am; Afternoon tea consists of "homemade cake" and selections of fruit and cookies is served between 3:00 and 5:00pm; the Cocktail Hour is 6:00-8:00pm.

Your friends are welcome to join you in the GC - but you will be charged (so they tell you). The dress is "smart casual" at all times, and children must be supervised by their parents.

Internet is available in the GC lounge at a charge of OMR 6 per 30 mins using a pre-paid card.

It will cost you OMR 7 for the taxi fare to and from the airport.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:20 pm
Community Director Emerita

Bondiboy, did you have to get a visa for Oman? Americans do. The last time I checked, it required supporting documentation from Oman. I've wanted to visit Oman for some time, but this has deterred me.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Visas for Oman and the UAE are very easy. I forget the cost (something like OMR 3 or 6) but it is cheap and obtainable when you arrive at Muscat airport or one of the border crossings.

Have a look at the Oman (and the UAE) Consular websites.

By the way, it is a little difficult, but you can catch a bus from Muscat to Dubai and/or Aba Dhabi. If you do so, plan to stay in Al Ain on the way (which is on the border) just in case there are delays at the border (lots and lots of trucks) and the bus will not wait for you. There is an excellent Hilton in Al Ain.

Enjoy
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:18 pm
Community Director Emerita

Great information, and very different than I understood it to be 3 or 4 years ago. I'll now have to move Muscat up on my list of places to visit.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 1:35 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Muscat Hyatt is one of my favorite property. I confirm that the Regency Club is very nice with a separate room for internet access. The health club is also quite pleasant. It has its own access to the beach with a shower facility when you get back in the hotel.

Oman is a very specatacular country. Try to rent a car and visit Nizwa. In the hotel there is a picture of Sinaw. I actually went there and discovered a huge abandonned city...just great fun !

The bazar of Muscat is very colorful. There are plenty of Indian restaurant - some of them very inexpensive. I also recommend some of the diving spots: clear and warm water, with all kinds of sea life.

Transport and visa can be arranged by the hotel so that is really no problem. Omani are very pleasant and peaceful people.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ducatibiker

Transport and visa can be arranged by the hotel so that is really no problem. Omani are very pleasant and peaceful people.

Tourist Visas for many countries (incl USA and Australians) can be obtained upon arrival at Muscat without prior arrangements. This is a new arrangement and the process is as simple at paying the fee, obtaining a receipt and then showing the receipt to the immigration official.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for the review on the GH Muscat. It sounds like a very nice hotel.

I'm thinking about staying a few days in Muscat at Easter and it sounds liek the Hyatt is a nice place to stay.

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Thanks for the review, we don't hear too much about this property and its on our list of places to visit as well. Disneyland kitch is my cup of tea, so, I'm all over this! Appreciate your time in posting.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Trip report 19th-23rd March 2008

Hi,

Room 575 ( Grand club floor)

I had booked a GC room for club access.
I arrived shortly after 11pm after a short F flight from AUH and was checked in quickly ( on the check in form there are a choice of papers- I cohse the Times of Oman)
The lobby is effectively on floor 3 with the Grand club on 4 and my room on 5 ( floor 6 is crown suites)
Thre room was quite large and the balcony faced over the hotel driveway and to my left and below me was the GC balcony) Hills were in the distance and we overlooked the diplomatic area.
The room door closes quite firmly and there is another locking sound a couple of seconds adter the door closes. There is a good a/c in the room and a overhead fan. There was a plate of fruit ( replenished daily) and several bottles of water ( replensihed in the morning and evening tundown) There were slippers and a bathrobe provided.
The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower, a bidet and a glass window over the bath facing into the bedroom ( wooden shutters could be used to close it from the berdoom side) I did not see a coffee maker though.

On my second day I had a note from the Director of Sales together with a book on Oman on my table ( a very nice gesture)

The GC offered a good range of breakfast items ( no hot food) as well as a toaster and was a good place to have lunchtime coffee ( saves some money) as well as evening snacks and desert ( bar closes at 8pm sharp)

The lobby area is very nicely designed with three huge glass windows ( stained glass at the sides) facing towards the pool area , a statue of a falconer on a horse with steps leading down to the Moka Cafe and the mezz level with shops.

Zahara tours are there in the lobby and offered a city tour and a tour to Nizwa and Oman's " Grand Canyon")

Getting to the pool is interesting from level 5 as you have to take the lift doiwn to the Mezz level, go padt the shops, down the stairs and down a ramp to level 1 and along a corridor to get to the pool .

The pool area is a bit small IMHO for such a large hotel but is nice with a lazy river going round form one sideof the pool to the other. The pool is open until 9pm but staff come round and get people out of the pool if they swim after 9pm and there are signs there also
Thete are deck chairs on the sand just outside the gates and then another foot path to cross to get to the public beach ( ok but thought I saw a jellyfish in the water on my last evening)

There are a number of large statues with bowls on the top of them with are lit at night ( gas powered I think) and makes for a nice plce to relax in the garden by the pool and facing the illuminated hote lobby through the glass.

The fitness centre is good and is open until 11pm

The Mohka Cafe does a very good buffet lunch ( 13 OMR) and dinner ( 16OMR) with a chocolate fountain and a desert buffett to die for!! ( lots of deserts incl marshmallows)

Just down the ramp from the lobby entrance there is the Safari club ( african style pub) which also had british football on the screens. The also did a good snacks ( Rib eye steaks for about 8 OMR)

The taxi fare was 7 OMR from the airport ( pay at the taxi stand outside arrivals and you get a receipt), 6 OMR back to the airport from the hotel and 5 OMR to Muttrah Souk on the corniche ( a must see IMHO)

Care should be taken if you walk on the breach and you like taking photos as the hotel is in the diplomatic/ministry area and there is a sign on the hotel stepos leading ot the beach path that photography of embassies and ministry buildings is not allowed by law.

Tne hotel was very good and Muscat/Oman is a beautiful place to visit.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 25, 2008 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Is this hotel located within the city or closer to the outskirts where Al Bustan Intercontinental and the Shangri-La are located?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Is this hotel located within the city or closer to the outskirts where Al Bustan Intercontinental and the Shangri-La are located?
Hi skyteam 777,

The Grand Hyatt is on the other side of the city to where the shangri la and al bustan ( ie in the diplomatic quarter closer to the al Qaboos mosque enroute to the airport)

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 20, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: WN, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt DIA
Trip Report Nov 08

Just finished a week stay, combo FFN and GP points. I booked a Club room with a view towards the pool and a bit of the ocean over the palm trees.

Agree with previous posts on the merits of the Grand Club. The breakfast spread is decent and the afternoon food selection is practically non-existent, but the evening hors d’oeuvres and booze make it worthwhile. Their hummous is incredible.

The gym is quite nice. I didn’t dine at the hotel’s restaurants, as they were outrageously priced and there is such great ethnic food to be had elsewhere.

There is a dive shop right next to the hotel and I would highly recommend scuba diving at Fahal Island. It’s only a 15 minute boat ride from the hotel and you can see loads of things at only 10 meters.

The one downside to this property is the outrageous internet charges. Over $30 a day! They also wouldn’t afford me late checkout, which was moderately annoying as my flight wasn’t until 11:30 pm.

All in all a highly recommend property (and country). The people of Oman are incredibly friendly and quite happy you’ve chosen to visit their country.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:34 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Just back from a two-night TNBT redemption. I was assigned a very large room in the Seeb Wing, overlooking the pool -- well furnished, although the carpet has seen better days.

I was surprised to find that the television was an ancient 23" Panasonic CRT, probably from the mid-90s. A decent selection of channels, though -- although hard to tell how many, exactly, as many channels were repeated on different frequencies.

In addition to the fruit plate (replenished daily) there was also a small gift box of chocolates and another larger box of Bateel dates -- Diamond amenities, I assume.

I agree with the previous posters: the Club lounge is great! One of the best I have seen in Hyatt-land -- good food, drink and service, and that terrific rooftop balcony with great views over the city and surrounding hills. Just as an example of the service: four different types of reds were offered at cocktail hour.

There is one hot breakfast option: boiled eggs. Anything else gets summoned from the restaurant, with a charge at the usual restaurant rates.

I was departing on the midnight BA flight, so I asked for, and received, a late (1700) check-out. Also, they recoded a room key so that I could access the Club lounge for cocktail hour and wait there until it was time to head to the airport. Of course, this could be a YMMV thing.

For late-night arrivals/departures, it takes just 13 minutes to get to/from the airport.

Last edited by LRD; Feb 15, 2010 at 4:59 pm
Old Feb 27, 2010, 4:23 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Just completed a two-night Next Big Thing redemption, and have similar reports to previous posters. The hotel design is very strange -- there are separate elevators to the Grand Club area (Seeb wing), and it's not easy to get to the pool and beach from here without traversing the lobby, though it is possible by taking an elevator, then the stairs down half a floor, then another elevator. The lobby is grandiose and old-fashioned.

The pool area is nice, including a small "lazy river," but, like the other hotels in Qurum, beach access is tricky -- it's a public beach, and you have to leave the hotel grounds, through a dedicated gate that is open only during the day. (At other times, you have to walk all the way around the hotel.)

I had the Friday brunch, which had a great selection of cold items (including an orgy of pork products, which were welcome after coming from Qatar) but so-so hot items and desserts. After reading previous posts, I regret that I didn't visit the Grand Club. The hotel also has an "entertainment complex" with a few bars; one had some sort of Scottish band with a cover charge, in which I was not interested, and all of which were closed for the second night of my stay due to a local holiday. For dinner I visited Mumtaz Mahal, a famous, and a bit touristy, Indian restaurant near the hotel; it was excellent.

Off-site, there are a few cafes, featuring shisha and Arabic food, a few minutes' walk from the hotel. The hotel is located about 15 minutes from the airport, well-situated about 10 minutes' drive from the downtown-type area and 15 minutes' drive from the Muttrah corniche, the main tourist area in Muscat.

Service was fine; the Omani (I point that out because this is the only GCC country in which locals are in public-facing roles in hotels) concierge was helpful. The only minor glitch was when I checked out, I was presented a bill that included room charges. When I pointed out that I was staying on NBT (which they acknowledged when I checked in), the lady shrugged and re-printed the bill without the room charges very quickly. A bit strange.

All in all, this was what I expected -- a decent, if a bit dated, hotel, pretty much the same as the InterContinental Muscat, and a bit inferior to the InterContinental Al-Bustan (pre-renovation; I am not sure what it looks like now). Next time I'd like to try the Shangri-La.

I won't go into details about Oman itself -- I and others have many posts on the Middle East forum about the country, which features the most interesting geography and traditional Arab culture and the most friendly spot in the Gulf region by far.
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Great stay here at the end of November. Thanks to the great front office manager Mr. Fluka got upgrade to suite on points stay. Fabulous breakfast downstairs, service was sometimes slow though. Fantastic pool area and most popular night club in Muscat. I loved the kitchy design, but it's a matter of taste. All-in-all I would highly recommend this hotel, one of my best Hyatt stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.