Wiki Posts
Search

Different Warm Nuts Formulation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Different Warm Nuts Formulation

Yesterday (1/20) on CDG-IAD in C, the warm nuts cup contained cashews and little sesame crackers, not a mixture of nuts. The sesame crackers had a coating that made them stick together when warm.
Also, it seems that the starter course no longer has a smoked salmon plate. I noticed this in both directions. In the IAD-CDG direction, the salad had two shrimps with the greens. In the CDG-IAD direction, it was just greens.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Forget the appetizers, but UA is messing with my beloved nuts?

Please, oh please, tell me this is not the case. Has anyone experienced the same?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:03 am
Suspended

Looks like more cuts in UA's already pathetic catering. Big shocker.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by redburgundy
Yesterday (1/20) on CDG-IAD in C, the warm nuts cup contained cashews and little sesame crackers, not a mixture of nuts. The sesame crackers had a coating that made them stick together when warm.
Also, it seems that the starter course no longer has a smoked salmon plate. I noticed this in both directions. In the IAD-CDG direction, the salad had two shrimps with the greens. In the CDG-IAD direction, it was just greens.
As others have noticed, separate appetizer plates have been removed from trans-Atlantic flights to and from IAD, the thought being that customers would rather spend less time on the meal service and more time sleeping. Due to crew and passenger outrage, however, the appetizers are returning with the next catering cycle sometime in March.

I am not sure what was going on with the warm nuts (or lack thereof). Seems a bit extreme to extrapolate broad generalizations based on a single isolated experience, though.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rch4u
As others have noticed, separate appetizer plates have been removed from trans-Atlantic flights to and from IAD, the thought being that customers would rather spend less time on the meal service and more time sleeping.
Garbage. That's not the thinking. The thinking is "let's cut service and save some dough." The "sleeping" thing is a complete BS excuse. Do you think passengers prefer these cutbacks, or the high-quality service of international carriers?
Old Jan 21, 2007, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Garbage. That's not the thinking. The thinking is "let's cut service and save some dough." The "sleeping" thing is a complete BS excuse. Do you think passengers prefer these cutbacks, or the high-quality service of international carriers?
BJ, I think rch4u was merely giving the "official" reason, and not UA's thinking. After all, everything is an enhancement.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Forget the appetizers, but UA is messing with my beloved nuts?

Please, oh please, tell me this is not the case. Has anyone experienced the same?
I flew yesterday DEN-PHL in F, and it was the regular nuts. ^
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
This selection sounds much better - my wife and I just pile up the walnuts (which usually account for about 80% of the nuts) to be thrown away anyway.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA GS, 2MM
I experienced the same once flying from FRA-IAD. I was told by an FA it's because the nuts come from the states and sometimes they don't fly enough over to Europe, in which case the European caterers provide them and they're different. I don't think we need to worry about sesame crackers getting mixed up with our warm nuts. Not yet at least. I do hope that rch4u is right though and the appetizer plates come back. Although, I did have a fairly decent salad on Wednesday on my FRA-IAD flight in C.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 5:46 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
The cashew/sesame combo sounds like the same mix they hand out in little foil baggies in US Airways First Class. I switched carriers to get away from those buggers, not get more of 'em!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:08 pm

The appetizers are scheduled to come back in the next catering cycle. Apparently UA told Gate Gourmet to cut 'x' amount of costs and eliminating appetizers was seen as one way of working to obtain those cost cuts. Then one of the senior execs flew to Europe and was p**^#d that the appetizers were gone. So the shrimp on the salad has been added as an interim measure until catering can gear up to provide appetizers again.

Appetizers have been cut off of the F/A trays and the (gasp) pilots' trays as well. How will they fly the plane now????
Old Jan 21, 2007, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by flime2dc
The appetizers are scheduled to come back in the next catering cycle. Apparently UA told Gate Gourmet to cut 'x' amount of costs and eliminating appetizers was seen as one way of working to obtain those cost cuts. Then one of the senior execs flew to Europe and was p**^#d that the appetizers were gone.
Do I understand that the senior exec that got p**^#d was a UA exec? If so, that would be a, pardon the pun, delicious irony!
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
I'm not quite clear on this... is UA now serving only a salad (with or without the shrimp) as the first course in C?

I have flights in C soon and am not excited to hear about the abbreviated meal service.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UAfan
I'm not quite clear on this... is UA now serving only a salad (with or without the shrimp) as the first course in C?

I have flights in C soon and am not excited to hear about the abbreviated meal service.
As far as I know this is only the case on IAD to Europe flights.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
lucky, that would be just my luck...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.