Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MAD officially worse for baggage and delays than LHR!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2006, 1:44 am
Original Poster

Though I have to say the man from BAA sounds a little bit over-optimistic to me......

Unreliable baggage service, treks between gates as long as 24 minutes and one of Europe's worst flight-delay records have tarnished the image of [MAD] Terminal 4, which won the U.K.'s top architecture prize.``There is grandeur, space and light,'' said David Allen, a professor of strategic management at Madrid's Instituto de
Empresa business school. ``But functionality is to architecture what rationality is to management: the sometimes ugly, necessary ingredient without which grandeur is just a bunch of physical expanse and expense. Functionality is what this terminal lacks.''

The airport operator, Aeropuertos Espanoles & Navegacion Aerea SA, or Aena, is working to make the terminal more efficient. It plans to double the speed of the conveyor belt ferrying luggage to the main terminal, said Jose Manuel Hesse, head of infrastructure planning.
For now, luggage arrives on average a half hour after passengers disembark, he said. At London Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport by number of travelers, the first bags arrive in about 15 minutes and the last within 31 minutes , said Damon Hunt, a spokesman for BAA Plc, which operates the airport.
The Madrid airport had the most passenger delays in Europe in the first and second quarters, according to the Association of European Airlines. In the third quarter, Madrid's delays were topped by London's Heathrow and Gatwick airports, Rome and Barcelona.
Passenger complaints prompted British Airways, Europe's third-largest carrier, to meet with Iberia and Aena about how to improve service, said Richard Goodfellow, a spokesman.

Last edited by aristoph; Dec 11, 2006 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold and other, lesser, shiny cards
I can easily believe it. It does look nice, but there are far too many wasted spaces.

My biggest disappointment was eventually getting from the RSU satellite to T4 proper and waiting for 40 minutes for a taxi; is this normal?

There doesn't seem to be much integrated transport in the new airport. I hear there's a train, but didn't see any signs/info. Is there a better way into town which doesn't involve the dreaded metro?

M
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
"Cultural differences"? I believe in Spanish culture, delaying aircraft departures is a sign that the airline is respecting you, and wishes to have you in its company for as long as possible.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aristoph
At London Heathrow, Europe's busiest airport by number of travelers, the first bags arrive in about 15 minutes and the last within 31 minutes, said Damon Hunt, a spokesman for BAA Plc, which operates the airport.
What planet is Mr Hunt on? Obviously not ours!
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:19 am

Programs: F
There is grandeur, space and light,'' said David Allen
... between the architect's ears, from my experience.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 2:29 pm

MAD BA at T4S

Originally Posted by aristoph
Passenger complaints prompted British Airways, Europe's third-largest carrier, to meet with Iberia and Aena about how to improve service, said Richard Goodfellow, a spokesman.
Well done all- they've got it down from 50 minutes at the carousel to just 45

It really is a case of you must be MAD to use MAD T4S, and BA does.

There are full page adverts in the Spanish press from other airlines advising their flights go to and from T1 and T2, so book with us and save time.

Even Iberia are using gates at T4 for UK flights.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
"Cultural differences"? I believe in Spanish culture, delaying aircraft departures is a sign that the airline is respecting you, and wishes to have you in its company for as long as possible.

Fingers crossed for T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.