Search

Lost post in Travel Tech forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:29 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Lost post in Travel Tech forum

Has anyone else had a problem with posts being lost recently?

I'm wondering if we are perhaps having some problems, particularly in the Travel Tech forum recently?

I'd, for example, today made a post quoting and agreeing with hfly on the 2 year ongoing delay in getting Vista to market, and also tried to correct the date erroneoulsy reported by ScottC in that thread, concerning when you might get an upgrade. He had reported, seemingly incorrectly, that "the rumour is that any PC purchased after 10/26 will get a free or discounted upgrade to Vista. XP Pro > Vista will be free, XP Home to Vista will be $49."

I'd noted that the date, quite importantly, was actually after 10/28/06, as I'd posted previously in another thread over in OMNI which still remains:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=353768&page=2

Can anyone help me to find my lost post from earlier today?

Incidentally, this is not the first time this has happened and it seems that Travel Tech is often a 'problem area' so to speak.

I know its probably not worthy of a "Without a Trace" episode, but I am admittedly somewhat curious.

Should I smply repost it?

Thanks very much for your kind assistance.

Mark
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No problems there, and as far as I can see your post is there, as it always has been.

Did you try clearing your cache or refreshing the page?

I'm guessing it is this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=23

FWIW, I posted a correction of the possible incorrect information contained in your post, I pride myself on making sure Travel Technology contains nothing but the most up to date and accurate information, and always label information as "rumor" when it is not possible to confirm it.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 1:05 pm
doc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC
No problems there, and as far as I can see your post is there, as it always has been.

Did you try clearing your cache or refreshing the page?

I'm guessing it is this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=23

FWIW, I posted a correction of the possible incorrect information contained in your post, I pride myself on making sure Travel Technology contains nothing but the most up to date and accurate information, and always label information as "rumor" when it is not possible to confirm it.

----

Yes, thanks. The post that vanished shortly after posting, in which I had tried to promptly correct the rumoured date you had given (10/26), which I believed was incorrect, to what I'd understood, and still now understand it to actually be (10/28), is now back a last, once again.

Naturally, I can not say what is responsible for its' sudden reappearance, only that it has happened many times before. What is perhaps more unusal here is the reappearance of the original thread itself in Travel Tech.

And again, no, it absolutely was not always there, let me assure you, as can others.

How can you be so very certain that there is/are no problem(s) here? Not simply I hope, just because you do not see the problem yourself? Unless you have officially joined the FT technical staff, and are privy to all the incoming data and analysis of such issues, perhaps we can, by chance, let them investigate and respond themselves?

And no, this was surely not a cache issue, as I had cleared, yes. And it revealed itself, ie the post was not seen, with multiple readers, on multiple machines, at multiple locations, so... that surely isn't it at all, as you can well imagine. Nor have I encountered such difficulties from such cache issue in all my nearly 7 years now on FT.

Perhaps I should also schedule a complete eye examination? Heck, better yet, a complete neurological examination may be indicated? LOL!!!

I'm also admittedly rather curious as to why you're commenting here that you "... posted a correction of the possible incorrect information contained in your post, I pride myself on making sure Travel Technology contains nothing but the most up to date and accurate information, and always label information as 'rumor' when it is not possible to confirm it."

What possible effect might this have on the post I made suddenly vanishing? Isn't this the forum for technical issues? I was soliciting feedback concerning problems with the flyertalk.com boards.

If I may ask, though slightly off-topic, since you mention it, you aren't actually claiming that something I'd posted was incorrect? I've reread it several times and I'm still confused as to what "correction of the possible incorrect information contained in [my] post" you made? What was incorrect please? I posted a 'rumour' as such, and clearly announced it as such, saying:

"...So, I would personally wait 'til after 10/28/06. I'd hate to miss it by only two days! Of course this is just a rumour!..."

And I also provided a direct link to the supporting article, as is my custom.

I see that you, however, did not in your own post, in sharp contrast, post a link. Do you perhaps mean to say that you corrected YOUR earlier post by adding a link to it? Or that you wish to try to help substantiate your earlier post now by posting a link after the fact? Fine!

In any case, I'm just glad to see that the 'lost' post is now back safely restored and I truly hope the the issue of such vanishing posts fast becomes a non issue.

Thanks again.

Mark
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:44 pm

Programs: Bah, HUMBUG!
Originally Posted by doc
<snip>I see that you, however, did not in your own post, in sharp contrast, post a link. Do you perhaps mean to say that you corrected YOUR earlier post by adding a link to it? Or that you wish to try to help substantiate your earlier post now by posting a link after the fact? Fine!

In any case, I'm just glad to see that the 'lost' post is now back safely restored and I truly hope the the issue of such vanishing posts fast becomes a non issue.

Thanks again.

Mark
UBB software isn't perfect and has quite a few issues which the fine FT admins have largely eliminated.

Still, through board software hiccups or anomalies in your browser, threads and/or posts may seem to disappear. I've experienced the same problem. That multiple people indicate like observations indicates a minor temporary issue with the UBB software. Rest assured, it's where it always was.

Last edited by kanebear; Oct 10, 2006 at 3:49 pm
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by doc
Naturally, I can not say what is responsible for its' sudden reappearance, only that it has happened many times before. What is perhaps more unusal here is the reappearance of the original thread itself in Travel Tech.
I'd look for Black Helicopters.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Must just be a software tech issue doc as others have helpfully suggested. Can't imagine there could be any other explanation.

I had a post vanish totally without trace as well in the same forum.

Mine never re-appeared though, as yours appears to have.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:38 pm
doc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Must just be a software tech issue doc as others have helpfully suggested. Can't imagine there could be any other explanation.

I had a post vanish totally without trace as well in the same forum.

Mine never re-appeared though, as yours appears to have.

---

Well, yes, this one post did reappear. In none of the other cases, however, did the original post ever return for an 'encore' appearance shall we say?

As tempting as it may be, Glen, I know, as you do, that those members who've voluntarily responded above, have something in common concerning my posts. I will not permit the seemingly incredibly 'ironic' nature of what they've said here, to have any affect upon my objectivity.

Indeed, I should perhaps be grateful that they have each been watching so very carefully so as to see that the post in question was 'where it always was' just 'as it always has been.'

The purpose was to simply alert the HOM tech folks to ask them if they were aware of this and/or any other similar issues?

I do think we should all be working toward the elimination of such 'issues.'

Thanks again,

Mark
Old Oct 11, 2006, 10:54 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by skofarrell
I'd look for Black Helicopters.

Are you kidding? I'd look for a broken record.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 5:44 am
doc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClueByFour

Are you kidding? I'd look for a broken record.
----

Why?

I would think that history will show that the record, broken or not, is intact, no?

This is the tech issues forum, btw, and hopefully folks can stay on topic?

Mark
Old Oct 12, 2006, 7:35 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by doc
----

Why?

I would think that history will show that the record, broken or not, is intact, no?

This is the tech issues forum, btw, and hopefully folks can stay on topic?

Mark
That was on topic.

When people start bumping threads that are two years old and change things are bound to break. I stand by my comment of "broken record."
Old Oct 12, 2006, 9:58 am
doc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
That was on topic.

When people start bumping threads that are two years old and change things are bound to break. I stand by my comment of "broken record."

---

Again, I'm sorry, I don't understand.

If you say it's on topic, then I guess I'll grant you that!

Are you actually suggesting, however, that someone bumped a thread(s) "that are two years old and change things are bound to break" and that this caused my post in Travel Tech to vanish?

That would be very curious indeed!

Heck, I'm no real bona fide expert, but...

just call me extremely skeptical!

Mark
Old Oct 12, 2006, 11:54 am
Tim at WebFlyer

Lets keep things on topic in the tech forum avoid expanding subjects beyond a tech issue. Since this post has been found and this has been resolved I will be locking this thread. Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.