CDG-IAD
23AUG06
AF026 777-200 F-GSPQ
Seats 2K + 2L
Scheduled departure : 16h40 (17h08)
Scheduled arrival : 19h00 (19h18)
Departure gate C87 (parking stand C08)
Arrival gate B41

We arrived at Terminal 2C where we checked-in at the First Class zone. The agent politely told us that we had been pre-checked in (which was good to know that they kept track of us) and continued the rest of the formalities necessary for traveling to the United States. Security was a breeze and we stopped at the lounge where we were able to take a quick shower before heading back up to the gate for boarding.

The quality of the boarding of this flight left to be desired in part due to the security measures (continual inspection in the pre-jetbridge) and in part due to the lack of organization of the ground staff at the podium. The agent in the line in which we stood spent 10 minutes handling a ticketing issue with a passenger, which I found to be inappropriate given he should be boarding not resolving one ticketing issue. He should have sent the passenger to the other podium, which is located prior to the boarding machines. After he took my friend’s and my boarding cards he then announced to the people behind us that he was “closed” !?!?

We managed to avoid being inspected because each agent was already occupied. We were greeted on board and took our seats in 2KL. The classic Espace Premiere is excellent but after having experienced the NEV it is hard to go back to the old configuration.

The service was nonetheless up to par but not quite as what we had on our Seoul flights. For information, the menus and service methods for all flights after 10h but before 23h from CDG are all more-or-less the same (the plat du jour changed) regardless of the destination so we had the same choices on this flight as we did on the CDG-ICN. The service method was respected : welcome drink (OJ instead of champagne!), pyjamas and amenities kit, orders taken for the meal service, aperitif with mise-en-bouche, appetizer (foie gras!), choice of main course (I chose the filet of beef of jus flavored with anchovy and curry accented by baby vegetable julienne, very good), cheese (skipped), dessert, coffee, tea.

A light meal was proposed prior to landing : assortment of canapés featuring free-range chicken, fennel and sheep’s milk cheese, homestyle yogurt, and spice-infused pineapple and strawberries.

The crew visibly had problems with the video system because leaving CDG they had to do the safety demonstration manually. Even though we were in P and this aircraft was delivered with the VOD we were unable to pause / fast forward / rewind our films as the VOD allows. (All aircraft after F-GSPL [if I remember correctly] are VOD in P and J.)

The delay incurred at CDG due to the additional security measures for USA flights was unable to be made up and arrival in IAD was 18 minutes late. We took the “people movers” from Terminal B directly to Immigration and Customs where formalities for coming back home went smoothly.

Overall impressions :

The transit at CDG this time was OK … reassuring to know they noticed we were not checked-in on our CDG-IAD flight, inbound from Seoul. We were check-in sequences 47 and 48 which means they caught it fairly early. The additional security measures were a little annoying but does anyone have a choice ? Boarding was a little hectic but at least they have an exclusive entry for business and first class passengers. At least we boarded via jetbridge and not by bus.

A fairly standard First Class experience on this flight … nothing special but most likely the same level of service that business class passengers received. Of course, having flown the P-NEV the classic P doesn’t seem nearly as nice but who am I to complain !?

The arrival in IAD was straight forward was well and both of our bags made it this time. The immigration officer was pleasant, unlike those in Boston (where I usually fly in and out).
Old Sep 5, 2006, 12:42 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Impressive trip reports ^ ! Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:01 am

Programs: BA emerald, AF rouge ,UA premier executive, SQ,ANA, HYATT,, AMENITI
Part 1 and 2 where a pain in the b%$# to read.But excellent report and great pictures.Thank you. ^
Old Sep 5, 2006, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMART51
Part 1 and 2 where a pain in the b%$# to read.But excellent report and great pictures.Thank you. ^
Hi Smart51 ... I see what you mean. I copied and pasted the report from a Word document and I guess the images within the posting didn't help.
Any pointers are appreciated to avoid that in the future. Thank you though.
Old Sep 5, 2006, 11:34 am

Thank you

Thank you for an excellent report! I love all the meal pictures... and cabin pictures...

The service from CDG to Asia and on the newer Boeing 777-300ERs seem to be much better than transatlantic flights. The meals look excellent, but I wonder if AF offers any snacks on demand for the longer CDG-ICN and ICN-CDG flights... THe new suites look really cool... this report is a motivation for me to continue to upkeep my NW accounts (passing 80,000 miles mark) to make it all the way to fly AF F.

Thanks,
Carfield
Old Sep 5, 2006, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Carfield, sorry to inform you that you cannot redeem NW miles for AF Premiere, only Espace Affaires .

Airchristophe, the pictures are the only problem with your report, they are too big for the FT screen unless you have a really big monitor with big resolution. Could you perhaps repoint the links to lower-res versions of your pictures?

Otherwise very nice report and thanks for sharing!
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:39 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Merci bien for all four installments of this report - it was a pleasure to read it. I had heard mixed reviews of AF First service in the past, but this certainly goes a long way in improving the image. Now, if they weren't Skyteam, I might try them myself...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.