Search

Lufthansa F MUC-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2006, 6:53 am
das
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Lufthansa F MUC-ORD

The following is the third trip report from my Star FRTW. The first report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585705 contrasts LH F on BKK-SGN with UA F on SGN-HKG, and the second report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590133 contrasts SQ F on SYD-SIN with NH F on NRT-LHR.

I also have menu pictures but need to get them uploaded/hosted, and hope to get them up in early September. I also have a few more sectors to write up, but sadly, I won’t be flying anymore intl F until I fly ORD-LAX-SYD in December (and I’ll be returning from SYD in upgraded Business). See, das made a one time splurge and isn’t a veteran traveler in Intl F – at least not yet…

Anyway, on to the report!

LH 434, Munich to Chicago, 11:15am to 1:55pm, Airbus 330

I arrived at MUC around 8:30am (a cool thing about flying Intl F is that you want to get to the airport early), and had a bit of trouble finding the F check-in area, as it’s a walled off area near the security checkpoint, with lounge chairs and hot beverages. I guess you sit down and wait your turn, but there was no one waiting, and I was warmly greeted and checked in.

From the check in area, I walked to the adjacent exclusive security checkpoint, and then headed to the F class lounge. Upon arriving at the lounge, I was warmly greeted (yes a common theme) and told that the F lounge is in a temporary location during renovations, and that toilet facilities were available across the hall in the Senator lounge. The F lounge, while not enormous, was not too crowded and was really classy.

Among the chairs and tables were bowls of munchies (nuts, dried fruit, etc.), and there was a full buffet spread of rolls, pastries, fruit, and yogurt. Good quality fruit too- bowls of blueberries, raspberries, mangoes, kiwis, etc., all individually plated, as well as fresh squeezed juices and a small menu of hot dishes made to order. Attendants were on hand to serve drinks.

The one big downside to the lounge was that there was no internet terminal, and no windows to plane spot, but the food was excellent and the lounge felt exclusive. The attendant even held my hand luggage when I went over to the Senator lounge to use the internet (which was a bit of a pain because there were only 2 terminals there).

I headed off to the gate around 10:20am, knowing that passport control and additional security checks awaited. While passport control was quick, the special security screening for US departures had a long line, because lots of flights were leaving to the states (LAX, BOS, ORD, CLT) within a short time window. My flight was departing out of gate H2, and the priority security line seemed to lead to other gates (I later realized you could reach any of the US gates through any line) – so I stood in line for about 25 minutes or so, and didn’t board the plane til around 5 minutes before departure. But because everyone else in line was in the same boat, I wasn’t worried at all.

Upon boarding, I was directed to my assigned seat, 1A, but a passenger was already seated there. As it turns out, he was assigned to seat 2A, but I offered to take 2A if he preferred 1A (because for some reason I feel claustrophobic with a wall in front of me). I was then served a bowl of macadamias, and I chose some sparkling water. There was no rush at all, and we didn’t push back til around 11:30am, to allow everyone to get through secondary screening. I think the challenge in MUC is there is a lot of connecting traffic, so it’s hard to herd people to the gate too early.

The purser then came around and introduced herself to everyone in the F cabin, individually telling us that we expect to land on time in Chicago, in spite of our late departure, and also handed out menus and explained this month’s feature was Mexican cuisine from Chef Martha Ortiz Chapa. I thought it was incredibly personable to explain the theme of the menu. An amenity kit and sleeper shirt (long sleeve polo shirt) and slipper-socks were distributed.

The A330 F cabin is 1-2-1, with two rows, and today there were 5 of us on board. The seats are lie flat beds that face forward, i.e. not suites, which is sort of cool if you like to look out the windows, because your view is unobstructed. After take off, drink orders and main course entrée orders were taken, a rose was placed in each seat, and drinks were served with a canapé (I think it was a goat cheese tart). The credenza in front of the center section of row 1 was nicely set up with wine bottles, water bottles, and glassware, as well as a rose bouquet.

Here is today’s menu for lunch:

Lunch

Hors d'oeuvre from the Appetizer cart

Caviar with the traditional garnishes

King Prawns Escabeche on marinated Vegetables

Braised Tenderloin of Beef with Herbs, Parmesan Shavings and Olive Oil

Dialouge of Turkey and Bell Pepper with creamy Pine Nut Sauce and Tropical Fruit

Mexican Guacamole, Ricotta and Pomegranate Seeds

Salad

Mesclun Mix with Hibiscus, dried Tomato Strips and Cashew Nuts
Lime Yogurt or Macadamia Nut Oil Dressing

Bread, Rolls, Toast, and Butter

Entrees

Grilled Tenderloin of Beef with ligh Manchego Cheese Sauce, Chayote Vegetable Gratin and Mashed Potatoes enhanced with smoke Chilli

Pistachio-crusted Halibut served with Pumpkin Seed Sauce, Green Asparagus, and Tamales

Achiote "Maiz" Chicken wrapped in Bamboo Leaf complemented by Citrus Salad and Fried Polenta

Broccoli Goat Cheese Tart with Salsa Pasilla, Cauliflower and Spring Onions

Cheese and Dessert

International Cheese
Coeur de Berry, Brie de Meaux, Fourme d'Ambert, Manchego and Fontal, accompanied by Grapes, Red Radishes and Cherry Tomatoes

Warm "Maiz" Tart served with Chili Ginger Sherbet and fresh Raspberries

Chocolate and Chili Creme Brulee

Specialty Dessert Wines

Wine List

Champagne

D de Devaux Brut, Champagne Veuve Davaux, France
Cuvee Rare, Champange Piper-Heidsieck, France

White Wines
2005 Benefizium Porer Pinot Grigio, Alois Lageder, Italian
2004 Iphofer Kronsberg Silvaner Spatlese trocken, Germany
2004 Monterey Chardonnay, Estancia, USA

Dessert Wine
2005 Westhofener Bergkloster Siegerrebe Beerenauslese, Weingut Neef-Emmich, Germany

Red Wine

2000 Chateau Laroque, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Classe, France
2002 Stellenbosch Donatus, Dornier, South Africa
2002 Francesco I Tenuta Villa Ortaglia, Italy

After the initial canapé, tables were set with a tablecloth, silverware, bread plates, butter, and salt/pepper, and the bread basket was brought around. There were many tempting breads, including pretzel rolls, pumpkin seed cheese bread, seeded rolls, garlic bread, and even tortilla bread to match the Mexican theme. As you can tell from the food descriptions below, this was upscale Mexican cooking – not greasy enchiladas.

Next up was the appetizer trolley! First off, I find the trolley concept really appealing because you can see all the choices, and more importantly try as many as you want. The downside is that unlike SQ, there is no soup choice.

I started off the the caviar and the chilled turkey dialogue. Both were really tasty, although interestingly the caviar wasn’t served with any toast points. Perhaps the Germans eat caviar differently. The chilled turkey was basically a mix of chilled meat and vegetables shaped in a ball, very moist and flavorful.

Soon after, the F/A came around to offer us seconds! Time to try the beef and the prawns! The beef were garnished with thin slices of parmesan, and the prawns were in a garlic broccoli salad. I still regret not trying more caviar, as there was plenty leftover.

Next up was the salad, the macadamia dressing was delicious and the edible flower was an interesting touch as well. The side of the plate was garnished with freshly ground black pepper – it felt like I was dining at a 5 star restaurant. More breads were continually offered, and the breads were always warm.

For the main dish, I chose the halibut, and it did not disappoint. The three stalks of asparagus were nicely laid out atop the fish and the side of green pumpkin seed sauce. The tamale added some nice flavor as well. This was probably one of the best presented and tastiest entrees I have ever had in the air. During the meal, I tried some of the French Red and South African Red and found them both excellent.

Finally, the dessert and cheese cart came around. This is where I think SQ outdoes LH – because they offer separate courses for fruit, cheese, and dessert, whereas LH offers it all at once. I should have been a pig and tried more things, but I settled for the tart, which was a tasty sweet cornbread (tastes better than I am making it sound), and the accompanying chili-ginger sherbet was served in a chocolate cup! There was also a cinnamon garnish in an elaborate pattern. I enjoyed two pots of Rooibos Vanilla tea (it’s a great caffeine free South African tea) with my dessert.

To round out the wonderful meal, plates of pralines (4 different varieties) were handed out, and the service concluded with distribution of water bottles. Additionally large water bottles and glasses were placed on the credenza for mid flight refreshment.

The crew then disappeared for the next 5 hours, which wasn’t really a problem, because we had water available, but it’s a bit disappointing your only choice for mid-flight munchies were a few pralines left on the credenza. I guess they want to make sure you keep an appetite for the pre arrival snack. ;-) Given it was a day flight, I slept for only 45 minutes, and then lounged around reading. None of the music or movies appealed to me, but then again I am fairly fussy and need the amount of choice that say Emirates offers in their new entertainment system.

About 1 hr 45 minutes out of Chicago, tables were set for our pre arrival meal, and separate menus were distributed (which I think is fairly classy – first time I’ve seen separate menus for the second service). The pre arrival meal was a selection from the trolley, along with the full bread basket. I think it’s a great concept, as pre-plated pre-arrival meals are so cookie cutter and don’t work well if you aren’t hungry. Here is the menu!

Pre Arrival Snack

Salad Buffet

Young Leaves of Frisee, Radicchio, Lollo Rosso and Spinach
with Mustard Orange Dressing, Wild Garlic Vinaigrette or Balsamic and Olive Oil

Selection of smoked Salmon with Lime Wedges

Crayfish Salad

Pan-fried Button Mushrooms

Marinated Cocktail Tomatoes and Mozzarella

Parmesan Cheese

Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

Escalope Tegernsee-style
Veal Escalopes seasoned with sweet Mustard and Horseradish

Dessert

Red Fruit Pudding Cake

Fresh Fruit
Apple, Orange, Kiwi, and Strawberries

I wasn’t sure there would be a second pass of the trolley, so I basically decided to try everything (except the smoked salmon – seemed too ordinary) on the first pass. The trolley had huge bowls of each item, and the F/A put together all my selections on top of the salad mix, and gave me a separate plate for the warm Veal Escalope (Schnitzel). She also gave me a fresh lemon half to season my schnitzel.

Everything was top quality (the crayfish salad was actually mostly crayfish – nicely deshelled too) and incredibly tasty. The schnitzel was superb – I had never had horseradish/mustard flavor on my schnitzel crust before. Two thumbs up to LH for a classy pre arrival meal, normally this is where airlines cut corners.

For dessert, I indulged and had both the fruit and the pudding cake. Both were small and light, and the cake was moist and tart, just the way I like it. Of course, I had to finish off with a pot of Rooibos tea. The purser then reappeared and asked each F passenger (by name) individually how they enjoyed their flight, and thanking them for flying Lufthansa. I think it’s a classy touch, but was interesting that the serving F/A in F never called me by name and never really said good bye. I thought the serving F/A was good at her job and fairly proactive and helpful, but just not quite up to the level of SQ in terms of service, or up to the level of NH in terms of friendliness.

We landed in ORD on time around 1:50pm and had a long taxi to the international terminal, which was quite busy with arrivals from Europe and Asia. The rear Business Class cabin was blocked from exiting the plane until F had deplaned (the forward mini cabin could deplane ahead of us). I tell you – after sitting in F, the Business cabin looks like coach. I think my frame of reference may be warped for life…

Anyway, immigration was quick, but the baggage claim was normal ORD intl terminal mayhem. The first bags to be offloaded were connecting bags, priority tags first, only then were ORD terminating bags offloaded. This does make sense to help people make connections, but what frustrated me is my bags (which I think were tagged as HON, which I think is a level above priority) weren’t even with the ORD priority tag bags. 45 minutes after landing, my bags and some others were wheeled over on a trolley by an agent, who said that they came out on the oversize belt. Apparently sometimes F bags come out on the oversize belt, and other times they don’t, hence they don’t tell you to look there. Looks like LH made a good effort to give my bag special treatment but it just meant I had to wait longer.

Overall, LH F was an amazing experience, it is sure head and shoulders above UA, and I’d argue the catering was much better than SQ, not just the trolley concept, but also the food quality. Functionally the service was polished, but the friendliness and effort to anticipate needs wasn’t the same as NH or SQ.

I hope you enjoyed this report, and are inspired to try LH F, just as I was by reading other TRs.

-das
Old Aug 27, 2006, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Totally First Class report, das. Those considering First Class travel aboard Lufthansa as well as casual readers will be well served by this report. Thanks also for the menu transcript - far more informative than simply reading "The chicken entree was really good" type comments so common amongst those reporting on their First Class flights these days. I'll look forward to your future reports. :-: :-: :-:
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Great report, enjoyed reading it. Seemed similar to my experience earlier this year and I noticed the same thing about the fruit/cheese/desert course. On my flight I was asked if I wanted some "cheese or desert" although I'm sure if I wanted I could have asked for both, it just would have been nice to be offered both.

Originally Posted by das
Apparently sometimes F bags come out on the oversize belt, and other times they don’t, hence they don’t tell you to look there. Looks like LH made a good effort to give my bag special treatment but it just meant I had to wait longer.
Not sure what the standard practice is, but when I flew FRA-ORD in April my HON tagged bags were the very first to come out (whereas my normal *G tagged bags always seem to take forever to appear at ORD). I suppose some of the HONs on the board might have more experience with this.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by das
The following is the third trip report from my Star FRTW. The first report: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585705 contrasts LH F on BKK-SGN with UA F on SGN-HKG, and the second report http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590133 contrasts SQ F on SYD-SIN with NH F on NRT-LHR. -das
This is certaintly one of the most thorough and informative trip reports I have ever had the pleasure of reading. Your description of the food and service was especially comprenhesive.

Das, basis the quality of this effort on your behalf, I will read the first two reports you referenced (sorry I missed them earlier) and I look forward with anticipation of your photos re this trip and a report of your pending December travels!

Thanks again ^ ^
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Great report! My wife and I will be flying LH F later this year. Your report both informed me and has me looking forward to the experience even more. Plus I liked your comparisons with other airlines. Thanks!
Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
The toast must not have been catered on your flight, but it is usually there. Nice report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.