Wiki Posts
Search

Determining which Plat gets upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
Determining which Plat gets upgrade

I travel with co-workers often that have Plat status. We have the same SETI, rate and most often I booked after they did. I consistently get upgraded rooms, sometimes outrageously upgraded rooms (think penthouse in W Mexico City). My co-workers rarely get upgraded rooms or get told they were upgrade to a *wood preferred guest level . We have played with who checks in first or last. Always the same result, I get the better room. Not to mention many times my room is already set aside and key ready. I have already booked enough stays to exceed Plat status for next year by the end of Aug. I normally have 40 paid stays a year and around 5-7 award stays. What factors into getting the upgrade consistently? What about when two Plats check-in at the same rate?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I know hiltom sees your entire account, when checking in. Ie number of nights stayed, points etc. I am sure SPG is along the same lines. the person who spends more nights and time should win unless the room rates are vastly different.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, SPG LT Plat,
Originally Posted by shortcut3d
I travel with co-workers often that have Plat status. We have the same SETI, rate and most often I booked after they did. I consistently get upgraded rooms, sometimes outrageously upgraded rooms (think penthouse in W Mexico City). My co-workers rarely get upgraded rooms or get told they were upgrade to a *wood preferred guest level . We have played with who checks in first or last. Always the same result, I get the better room. Not to mention many times my room is already set aside and key ready. I have already booked enough stays to exceed Plat status for next year by the end of Aug. I normally have 40 paid stays a year and around 5-7 award stays. What factors into getting the upgrade consistently? What about when two Plats check-in at the same rate?

do you and your coworker have very different traveling profile, such as more stays, staying at higher grade hotels (W vs. 4Pts), different bedding types requested, spend more money when you are at the hotel (breakfast, room service, etc)?
Old Aug 25, 2006, 2:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I became pretty friendly with the staff at the Sheraton Bloomington in Minneapolis where I stayed consistenly for nearly a year. I asked this question once. Here's what she told me:

In the morning, they will get the list of all the Plats and Golds that are checking in that day. They first pull out the names that they know -- people who stay at the hotel often or have good relationships with the manager or front desk workers. It definitely helps to be friendly and a non-complainer! These people get the best upgrades, and their keys are pulled out ahead of time.

After that, it goes by your total points earned in your lifetime (or maybe in the year), but sometimes it's just arbitrary.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
and I made the experience that the roomtype booked helps, too. I refrain from booking the very standard rooms and I always without any exception got a suite upgrade in 2006. I have the gut feeling, that paying 20 Dollars more brings you in front to all the guys with the standard rooms.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Aug 25, 2006 at 3:16 am
Old Dec 7, 2006, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by sageone
I became pretty friendly with the staff at the Sheraton Bloomington in Minneapolis where I stayed consistenly for nearly a year. I asked this question once. Here's what she told me:
I guess this works for non-smokers because elite smokers are all stuck on the 12th floor.
Old Dec 7, 2006, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by badjuju
I guess this works for non-smokers because elite smokers are all stuck on the 12th floor.
Huh???
Old Dec 8, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Huh???
I was referring to the layout of Sheraton Bloomington - there are 2 towers, North and South. North tower has the concierge lounge and floor with upgraded rooms. The smoking floor in the hotel is in the South tower and all rooms are the same - either 2 double beds or a 1 King bed. If you're a smoker, you cannot get an upgraded room.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Also, I have seen 3 or 4 times in the last few years, a print-out at the front desk which lists all SPG Plats on site that day and their SPG point balance. Once the clerk even commented on how many points I have.

Wonder if that plays a role?
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:58 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I'd be interested in knowing if, as has been suggested, the SPG points the front desk looks at is the lifetime accumulation of points (far more fair, IMO) or, as was suggested in the previous post above, are they looking at current SPG account balance. If it's the latter, that's wildly unfair as it would benefit those who hoard points.

Can someone at least confirm this program component for the rest of us? My lifetime accumulation is very significant as I've been PLAT with *wood since *wood came into existance. However, I will never be able to compete with SPG AMEX card holders who are able to charge $10K a month or more to their account.
Old Dec 8, 2006, 12:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by sbtinme
I'd be interested in knowing if, as has been suggested, the SPG points the front desk looks at is the lifetime accumulation of points (far more fair, IMO) or, as was suggested in the previous post above, are they looking at current SPG account balance. If it's the latter, that's wildly unfair as it would benefit those who hoard points.

Can someone at least confirm this program component for the rest of us? My lifetime accumulation is very significant as I've been PLAT with *wood since *wood came into existance. However, I will never be able to compete with SPG AMEX card holders who are able to charge $10K a month or more to their account.
They can see both. We suggest lifetime if it ever comes down to that being the determining factor. YMMV, though.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Dec 8, 2006, 6:57 pm
cxn

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
They can see both. We suggest lifetime if it ever comes down to that being the determining factor. YMMV, though.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
William,

AA allows me to see my lifetime miles. SPG doesnt.

How do I find that information out?

Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:03 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by cxn
William,

AA allows me to see my lifetime miles. SPG doesnt.

How do I find that information out?

Thanks!
Call and ask how many Starpoints you've earned Program to Date.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Dec 9, 2006, 1:47 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Have you thouught about alphabetical surname in order of upgrades???? I know with Qantas they do their seating preference by surname and I am S and therefore usually behind all other Plantinum Status passengers.
Old Dec 9, 2006, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I wonder the same thing. I get good upgrades- but I also try to contact the hotel in advance if possible to specifically request an upgrade. I hope they don't go by current starpoints- I usually hit Platinum around August/Sept and then use my points for stays through December. If they were to take a look at my points right now, I only have about 6000 (awaiting a few postings) but have accumulated far more in a year, and in my lifetime. Maybe upgrade are based on stays- how many you have at that point for the year.

In fact, the only time I recall NOT getting an upgrade in advance was last week at my very first 4 points stay. (Not impressed.) They did offer me a room with a jacuzzi after I asked about an upgrade, but before that they had me in a tiny room with a double bed. Then again, they said they don't have suites so I guess I got the best they had, and I stayed on points. Still, I won't be staying at another 4 Points if I can help it.

I believe that certain hotels do upgrade frequent customers- I know that when I stay at certain W hotels, they even set my room temp the way I like it (COLD) and almost always have me upgraded to a suite. But I'd like to think that it is based on accumulated points over a year or lifetime and number of stays. Loyalty should be a big issue.

As for OP, I wonder if he has more stays outside of the ones with business partners. If he stays more often with *wood for his non-business stays and that might have something to do with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.