Old Aug 13, 2006, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Ride Report: 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4

Manufacturer's Link

Overall Grade: C+

OVERVIEW: Picked up my Expedition (needed the 8-pax seating) from YYZ, white/tan leather, fully equiped, including sunroof, power 3rd row folding seats, parking assist, and rear DVD player. Had about 4K miles on it.

INTERIOR: Very nicely done (more than expected of Ford), though everything was a bit "bulky" for my tastes. Driver's seat was pretty comfy, though I could never adjust the butt cushion just right. Audio was decent. A/C was pretty weak, and barely worked at idle.

MECHANICAL: The standard 5.4L V8 was sluggish for this beast, even with the 3.73 rear axle... it weighs as much as a cruise ship, and handles marginally better than one. No slalom courses! (Or if you do, buy the CDW). As expected, this was a gas guzzler (rated at 14/19 MPG, we got ~15 with a mix of city/hwy driving).

THE DRIVE: Definitely not smooth on the freeway, but I blame this on the stiffened suspension for the 4x4. But, I never did feel like I was going to overturn the thing (like I did in the Explorer).

FINAL IMPRESSION: As a peoplemover, it accomplished its mission quite well. I'd still take a Suburban though.

PROS:
-- Nicely equiped with creature comforts (but not so much so if you end up with the XLT version that's prevalent in the Avis fleet).
-- Short wheelbase made it easy to manuveur.
-- It hauls 8 people. Next step up is a full-size van.
-- DVD ^

CONS:
-- Dismal MPG.
-- Better hope it's not 90F/90% humidity like it was for us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.