Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Baggage Allowance Changes - It's Official

Now on the front page of ba.com, no less:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...y/public/en_gb

Figured I'd kick off a new thread for the official b!tching (edit: stupid censor software!) and moaning and pointing out what's ridiculous to begin

Originally Posted by BA
New simpler baggage policies - Major changes announced
British Airways is introducing changes to baggage policies to make them easier for passengers, reduce queues at the airport and to bring them in line with UK Department for Transport recommendations and requirements of the UK’s main airport operator, BAA.

The new policies will bring changes to hand, checked and excess baggage allowances and will be phased in from early July 2006 across the airline’s global network.

Hand baggage allowances… changing from 5 July 2006
The hand baggage policy will be the first to change from 5 July 2006.
All passengers will be able to carry one standard-sized bag and one briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent on all flights.
The maximum size of the bag, 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in) has been set in line with the UK Department for Transport recommendations. Passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided into the aircraft overhead locker.
The briefcase, laptop computer bag or equivalent must fit under the seat in front.

Free checked baggage allowances
A single allowance system based on the number of bags that can be checked in will be introduced from 11 October 2006.

FIRST, Club World, Club Europe and World Traveller Plus
Passengers will be able to check two bags into the aircraft hold free of charge.

World Traveller*, Euro Traveller and UK Domestic
Passengers will be able to check one bag into the aircraft hold free of charge.

Infants will be allowed to check one bag, plus a collapsible baby buggy, into the aircraft hold free of charge in all classes on all routes.

For any connecting journey, the most generous allowance will apply.

Passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance.

A maximum bag weight of 23kgs (50lbs) will apply to all bags.

*World Traveller passengers travelling to or from the US, Canada, Caribbean, Nigeria, Brazil and Mexico will continue to be allowed two checked bags in line with the local government regulations.

Excess baggage charges
Excess baggage charges will be standardised across the network from 11 October 2006.
All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances will be charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey.
From 12 July 2006, passengers who pre-pay online for their excess baggage will receive a 20% discount on airport charges.
Where passengers are transferring flights, a single charge based on the longest flight will apply.

Maximum weight and size
British Airways will not accept any item of baggage that weighs more than 23kgs (50lbs) or oversized items exceeding 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m (94in x 29in x 29in).
Advance notification is required 24 hours before departure for exceptional items that weigh between 23kgs - 45Kgs * (50 - 90lbs) and which cannot be repacked e.g. musical instruments, electrical wheelchairs, some sporting items, TV news cameras, commercial spares.

Pets
British Airways will no longer be able to carry pets as baggage. In future, these will only be carried as cargo.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Figured I'd kick off a new thread for the official b!tching (edit: stupid censor software!) and moaning and pointing out what's ridiculous to begin
Well let me be the first. Are they serious that First/Club passengers get the same checked allowance as WT+!?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Of course, as with any good, efficent, joined-up roll out of a major new communication...no other part of ba.com has been updated An F booking for the end of July (i.e. after the hand baggage change comes in) in MMB still shows the old hand baggage allowances, and it links to:

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...club/_gf/en_gb

which doesn't contain details of the changes either.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:33 am

Programs: BA
The only positive I can see from this is unlimited weight of the one item of hand luggage. Especially useful, after I was made to check my hand luggage coming back from Venice last night as it was 1.6kg too heavy
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:33 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
...?

Like already pointed out F, J get no more than WY+ and the max weight is the same.

I have being doing 2 or 3 CE trips a month all year carrying a flight case that comes in at 31kg and is the maximun size allowed. Because I have 2 of the dam things I have being bringing somebody else with me just for this and we have taken CE of Y just for the 32KG allowance.

This has screwed these plans.

To think I spend ages getting the cases sorted along with the contents to just get inside the dam rules and they go and move them.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by More Champagne Sir?
The only positive I can see from this is unlimited weight of the one item of hand luggage. Especially useful, after I was made to check my hand luggage coming back from Venice last night as it was 1.6kg too heavy
Italian check-in staff are vicious on this. And don't assume that it will change just because BA policy has changed. They claim it is Italian law which enforces the weight limit. If so they will just over-ride BA's allowances.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:38 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by BA.com
Passengers must be able to lift their bag unaided
I'll be printing this off and carrying it with me! I flew with a girl the other day who had just returned to work after 3 months off with a badly sprained wrist and back. She sustained these injuries while lifting bags for a passenger.

We're not insured to lift bags and now, with the threat of these bags weighing pretty much anything, there is no way I'll be picking them up. You pack it, you stack it!!!!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
And is there a hidden message in this line too...

Infants will be allowed to check one bag, plus a collapsible baby buggy, into the aircraft hold free of charge in all classes on all routes.

confirming my comments of 10 days ago or so....

Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Please let me just get this off my chest, so I don't have to do it again:
THIS IS MADNESS!
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
And is there a hidden message in this line too...

confirming my comments of 10 days ago or so....

Been away for a while. Care to direct me to your comments of 10 days ago?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:51 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Please let me just get this off my chest, so I don't have to do it again:
THIS IS MADNESS!
Ditto!

The overriding reason I paid for CE was for the generous hand-luggage allowance.

And FIRST/CW gets the same allowance as WT+?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by aristoph
Well let me be the first. Are they serious that First/Club passengers get the same checked allowance as WT+!?
Why is this a problem?
Doesn't look like they are going to allow you to take more then 2 cases in any case, so would it make you feel better if they gave WT+ the same allowance as WT, just so that J and F would be different?
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:54 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by clubman
Why is this a problem?
Doesn't look like they are going to allow you to take more then 2 cases in any case, so would it make you feel better if they gave WT+ the same allowance as WT, just so that J and F would be different?
Two words: PRODUCT DIFFERENTIATION.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
However surely if the premium cabin ticket holders can have two bags not weighing more than 23kgs, surely thats a limit of 46kg per passenger?

Where does it say the passenger can only have a maximum of 23kgs? It only says a maximum of 23ks per bag.
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by clubman
Why is this a problem?
There should be no piece limit for F/J. We currently tend not to exceed the 40kg limit but it is spread between 3 or more bags each, or often pieces of "non-luggage" such as boxes if we are taking gifts. This has never been a problem before - now BA will not allow us this option, even if our total luggage weighs less than 2 full suitcases carried by someone in WT+. At the end of the day one of the things you pay for in J/F is flexibility and this removes it. Plus - yes, even if the allowance in F were still adequate it SHOULD be more than given to J which should be more than for WT+ etc. Every other airline seems to have grasped this concept and they don't claim to nurture the premium market the way BA does. Madness.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.