Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA in Catering Shambles Shock

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2005, 1:33 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Will this airline stop at nothing its meaness?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I just hope bad experiences like this don't lead to people calling for BA to be released from OW.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Imperial Special
The solution for many short haul flights might be to give all Y passengers vouchers.
Please can we J passengers have them as well. I don't see why we should be the only ones made to eat the food .
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by The Disco Volante
Please can we J passengers have them as well. I don't see why we should be the only ones made to eat the food .
Quite!

Do&Co Deli Box + £10 voucher + Booze on board = One Happy Bunny
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by The Disco Volante
Blasphemey!!!!!!

....and AJ, you should know better!!!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyclub
Blasphemey!!!!!!

....and AJ, you should know better!!!
I do! And that's why I posted what I did.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 1:35 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
Same story here. In and out of Budapest on Monday. Fully catered I thought, wonderful at last BA gets its act together so I didn't buy anything in the terminals. Get on the plane and a box with random cereal bar, Kit Kat and pineapple chunks! Not only that but the trip was topped off by being at least an hour late going out and over an hour and a half late coming back. On a day trip that directly equates to arriving at the meeting in a rush (though not late because I assume it'll be late in the planning) and less sleep at night. Thanks BA.

On the subject of differentiation I agree with all said before. Also BA has a much bigger cost base and infrastructure built up over many years than the LCCs. Even if willie wants to try cutting costs to the sorts of levels where he could go head to head with the LCCs the unions wouldn't let him get away with it.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 3:22 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by smudge
On the subject of differentiation I agree with all said before. Also BA has a much bigger cost base and infrastructure built up over many years than the LCCs. Even if willie wants to try cutting costs to the sorts of levels where he could go head to head with the LCCs the unions wouldn't let him get away with it.
BA are already losing customers to the LCC's simply due to the complete non-changeability of their low cost tickets. The LCC's typically win hands down by at least not having your ticket cost completely wasted if you happen to miss your flight. For businesses trying to save money, the step down from a BA full-Y is an LCC, not a cheaper BA ticket.
Old Nov 28, 2005, 2:55 am

Never mind all of the above, I have even more grave news to report... (Flyclub, please ensure you are seated when reading the following - the shock may be too much ):

Out to NAP on Friday just gone, and BA ran out of Champers in Club! Worse still, as they don't recater at NAP, the poor sods on the way back to LGW didn't get any at all Now I know that we had a few bottles, but I didn't think we'd had that many as to clear out the stock

Apparently they are only loading 1 bar on most routes in CE these days, and as soon as the fizz is gone, that's it. They've also stopped loading it down the back (I think they used to sell it for £4 or £5 a bottle).

Purser was terribly embarrassed, and was ensuring that anyone who didn't get more champers filled in a comment card. She also commented on the fact (as mentioned by BAW845_Matt over here) that the catering down the back from LGW is to be further reduced, and bar service taken down to wine or beer only, as part of a crew reduction exercise - seemingly the target is 3 crew on a 737.

We had the pleasure of having a "repeat" crew member back from NAP last night - she was absolutely fabulous, and more than generous with the champers distribution

On a side note, the lounge at NAP is awful - tiny little cupboard of a place, shared with Lufthansa and Air France amongst others. Even VNO had a better offering....
Old Nov 28, 2005, 3:57 am

Shuttle-Bored - it's a good job there were only 2 of us in CE on Saturday evening then as they would've run out pretty quickly at the rate we were drinking it(!) The Purser was super though and kept us topped up.

The lounge is indeed dreadful! Thankfully it was empty but if there were more than 4-5 people in there it would feel too 'open' as there isn't really any private seating areas. The less said about the food the better too. However by the time the BA evening flight leaves most other scheduled carriers have gone so there shouldn't be anyone else there.

Edit: 3 crew could work on a 737 as long as Club isn't busy. 2 down the back and one up front worked to/from NAP as one member of the crew seemed to spend most of her time sat down with a copy of the Guardian.

Edit 2: Spain & Italy both count as the same 'band' flights don't they? So LGW - NCE & LGW - BCN would get the same catering I assume.

Last edited by BAW845_Matt; Nov 28, 2005 at 4:00 am
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
...sat down with a copy of the Guardian.
My God.........it gets worse!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
Edit 2: Spain & Italy both count as the same 'band' flights don't they? So LGW - NCE & LGW - BCN would get the same catering I assume.
No geography A levels then...
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:12 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Never mind all of the above, I have even more grave news to report... (Flyclub, please ensure you are seated when reading the following - the shock may be too much ):

Out to NAP on Friday just gone, and BA ran out of Champers in Club! Worse still, as they don't recater at NAP, the poor sods on the way back to LGW didn't get any at all Now I know that we had a few bottles, but I didn't think we'd had that many as to clear out the stock
Well, I am not surprised as it happened to us on the 737-500 for the NCE BA Do....we had barely reached the french coast when they ran out..... However they told us on that occasion they were deliberately holding some back for the return journey.

On the return, there were no problems as two bars are present on the 737-400, which is what you would have flown on the Naples. Very strange.

In fact, I am sure Shuttle-Bored you remember yourself earlier in the year coming back from Bologna they were offering baskets of the stuff - either Piper or Monopol!
Old Nov 28, 2005, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by flyclub
Well, I am not surprised as it happened to us on the 737-500 for the NCE BA Do....we had barely reached the french coast when they ran out..... However they told us on that occasion they were deliberately holding some back for the return journey.

On the return, there were no problems as two bars are present on the 737-400, which is what you would have flown on the Naples. Very strange.

In fact, I am sure Shuttle-Bored you remember yourself earlier in the year coming back from Bologna they were offering baskets of the stuff - either Piper or Monopol!
Well, thank heavens the GIB do is on GB!

(any excuse to plug it )
Old Nov 28, 2005, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Your inability to remember increases the likelihood that you did

And

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.