Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best days of week for TA upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2005, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Question Best days of week for TA upgrade?

I usually just give this my best guess, but I would appreciate more informed opinions to increase my chances on an upgrade. Any advantage to weekends or weekdays?

I'll be flying PHL-LGW end Sept/early Oct and LGW-PHL end of Oct. I'm a US silver and will most probably be using SA DS0087s.

Any ideas on when to book to get the best fare would also be gratefully received. I'm a Yank who lives in the UK, but my Dad recently lost his ALS battle so I'm with my ailing Mom in the US more than home in the UK, all on a low budget, hence my penny pinching.

I've learned so much on this forum, many thanks to all for the education!
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:02 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
My brother, a Silver, claims the best day is Sunday. They're the most likely to be oversold in coach and in need of clearing upgrades. While there may be Gold and CP on board, it doesn't mean they've requested an UG. As long as you have an UG method (cert, miles, etc.) then you should clear before any op-up for them.

So claims my brother. That said, he's got a good track record as a Silver.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 6:58 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
I've cleared eastbound on Tuesday and Thursday and Westbound on Thursday and Tuesday and never not cleared.

However, I would think something like Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday would be the best. Full-fare Envoy pax are likely to be US vs. foreign busienss travelers (as people tend to stay with their national carriers) and most people would leave for European business trips Sunday or Monday. By Tuesday, a Wed. arrival only leaves 2 1/2 days of business. By Wednesday, only a day in a half. By Thursday, no business traveler would leave but you may have a couple Europeans flying back. Friday, of course is typically just a busy day though the oversold in coach philosophy may work well.

Just my thoughts.
Old Aug 17, 2005, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Tuesday and Wednesday are usually pretty good
Old Aug 18, 2005, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Thank you! And fare timing?

Thank you for your ideas, they pretty much cover what I had thought, so its good to know I was headed in the right direction(s).

Any thougts on when its best to book for the best price? I've been watching and prices appear to be dropping a bit, but I have waited too long in the past and ened up paying more then I had seen - oh so frustrating!

Last edited by Sally4th; Sep 16, 2005 at 3:58 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.