Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Question about using a Travel voucher to pay for a ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, UA Premier, Hilton Gold

If I pay for a $500 refundable ticket using a $400 voucher (and the rest with a credit card), what would show up on my receipt? Would the payment be itemized?

Also, what would show in the fare pricing details on the actual ticket? $500 or $100 ?

Finally, if I refund the ticket, would I get $400 back as a TCV and the rest to my card, or would everything be refunded as a TCV?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by yevlesh2
If I pay for a $500 refundable ticket using a $400 voucher (and the rest with a credit card), what would show up on my receipt? Would the payment be itemized?

Also, what would show in the fare pricing details on the actual ticket? $500 or $100 ?

Finally, if I refund the ticket, would I get $400 back as a TCV and the rest to my card, or would everything be refunded as a TCV?
The payments would be itemized in the detail portion of the receipt. The fare price would show as $500. If you get a refund, you would get refunds in the same payment method as you used to purchase the ticket (credit back to your card, and return of your voucher). The risk here is if the voucher expires you would lose the value of the voucher. You should also carefully read the conditions of the voucher to make sure that you can get the value returned to you.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
  • Your credit card would only show $100 obviously, with the ticket number and route usually.
  • The e-ticket reciept has a fare calculation box, it will show that $400 was paid with TCV, and $100 was on a CC.
  • You could get it all as a TCV, I know that. I'm not sure if they will refund a partial amount to a CC.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 4:04 am

So, using the same example, if I was able to have a TCV refund for $500 ($100 for the credit card expense, and $400 for the VDB voucher), what would the expiration date be? A year from the ticket's issue, or a year from the VDB voucher's expiration date? In other words, could I extend the validity of a nearly expiring VDB by exchanging it for a ticket in the future, then cancelling it (again, at some point in the future) if I don't need it, and getting a non-VDB refund voucher?
Old Aug 4, 2005, 7:34 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by yevlesh2

This actually depends on the type of voucher. There are two types A and B. I can't remember which is which, but one of them actually is a discount off the fare basis and would not show as payment. This type of voucher essentially "goes away" if you refund the ticket. Say your ticket was a base fare of $500. The $400 is deducted, leaving the fare as $100. There is really no way to tell from the receipt that the fare was $500.

As for DBC vouchers, I'm sure there are several threads here that detail what happens if you refund a ticket that you have used DBC vouchers on.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 5:44 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by honu
So, using the same example, if I was able to have a TCV refund for $500 ($100 for the credit card expense, and $400 for the VDB voucher), what would the expiration date be? A year from the ticket's issue, or a year from the VDB voucher's expiration date? In other words, could I extend the validity of a nearly expiring VDB by exchanging it for a ticket in the future, then cancelling it (again, at some point in the future) if I don't need it, and getting a non-VDB refund voucher?
Your VDB vouchers will carry the same expiration date as originally issued.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 2MM Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tods27
This actually depends on the type of voucher. There are two types A and B. I can't remember which is which, but one of them actually is a discount off the fare basis and would not show as payment.
A VDB is a Type B and a form of payment, so will be included in the total price as other have stated.

I had one once that was about to expire, so I bought a refundable ticket for a few dollars more that the VDB (it took me a while to find a city that met that criteria). Then I had another year, but couldn't get a refund but rather just had to apply it to a new ticket, which I did.

Last edited by 1K_From_SNA; Aug 4, 2005 at 6:05 pm
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:13 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
I have such a voucher with expiration date rapidly approaching. I am a newbie to many things UA as I have simply found most other airlines easier to understand- you pay, you fly, you get miles.

So if I ticket and then change, would flight expiration date on a fully refundable ticket allow past the voucher issue date?

I pretty much assume if I cancel ticketed flight before voucher expiration date that the voucher is worthless at that point.

I would really like to use this voucher for international travel. Any way to best apply this and extend past the original expiration date?
Old Nov 20, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by idealflyer
I have such a voucher with expiration date rapidly approaching. I am a newbie to many things UA as I have simply found most other airlines easier to understand- you pay, you fly, you get miles.

So if I ticket and then change, would flight expiration date on a fully refundable ticket allow past the voucher issue date?

I pretty much assume if I cancel ticketed flight before voucher expiration date that the voucher is worthless at that point.

I would really like to use this voucher for international travel. Any way to best apply this and extend past the original expiration date?
Do you have a type B (cash) voucher?

1. As long as you are not seeking a refund, you can change your itinerary and the "travel must complete date" shall remain the same as one year from ticket issuance date.

2. If you cancel your fully refundable ticket before your type B voucher expiration date, you can get a refund back to the original form of payment.
a) $400 type B voucher with original issuance/expiration date
b) Balance back to your credit card or the original form of payment

3. If you cancel your fully refundable ticket after your type B voucher expiration date, you only option at this point will be applying the full amount to another UA ticket.

If you have a type A (discount) voucher, the above 1 and 3 still applies. If you try to get a refund, you only get back the portion you paid out of pocket, not the voucher amount.

If you do not have an itinerary in mind, the best way to extend the life of a voucher is to purchase a fully refundable ticket before the expiration date of your voucher with a travel completion date 330 days from the ticket issuance date. Once you have an itinerary, then apply the issued ticket to your new itinerary.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:41 pm

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I need to clarify whether an agent gave me incorrect info.

I booked and held a ticket for this Dec in A class that priced out at $618. The ticket is fully changeable and refundable. I chose a routing that I am ok with, but I want the option to change it if I decide to.

I have a $600 (4x $150) travel credit, type B, from a VDB. I asked the agent at the airport to clarify that the value of the travel credit would be applied toward the new ticket if I changed it. She said it would not. Based on what I have read here, she is incorrect. So, what is right?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by United737522
I have a $600 (4x $150) travel credit, type B, from a VDB. I asked the agent at the airport to clarify that the value of the travel credit would be applied toward the new ticket if I changed it. She said it would not. Based on what I have read here, she is incorrect. So, what is right?
It depends on how it was applied.

It should have been applied as an exchange, so they would exchange $600 against the $618, charging you an add collect of $18. The ticket value should show $618 at united.com.

However, I know OAK consistently processes these incorrectly, treating these like the CS vouchers (essentially reducing the fare by $600). In that case, united.com should show $18 as the fare. If they did it this way, you would not be able to retain the residual.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by United737522
So, what is right?
channa's response is correct. From S*UAL/TRAVEL CREDIT:
- ONCE TRAVEL CREDIT IS EXCHANGED FOR A TICKET - TRAVEL
CREDIT VALUE IS VALID TOWARD FUTURE EXCHANGES
- TRAVEL CREDIT VALUE REMAINS NON-REFUNDABLE ONCE
TICKETED
To me, that means that you retain the full value of the TCs if you are making changes, but you lose the value if you want a refund.

Of course, fastair has noted that S* profiles are not supposed to be public information and therefore are not a true legal recourse for you, but you can gently suggest to any agent that they read S*UAL/TRAVEL CREDIT or call their help desk for the correct rule. (This assumes that the profile hasn't changed since posting on the wiki; if it has, all bets are off.)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
looked at my sole remaning $150 Type B voucher - not very clear - can I use it on an UA itin that has a LH or TP codeshare for one or more of the flights?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'd like to use a cash voucher to paid for part of a work travel. I will get reimbursed only if the ticket show full price. Hope this '' I know OAK consistently processes these incorrectly, treating these like the CS vouchers (essentially reducing the fare by $600). In that case, united.com should show $18 as the fare. If they did it this way, you would not be able to retain the residual. Jul 14, 09 6:41 pm" situation won't happen to me.

What is OAK by the way? Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by milemission
...What is OAK by the way? Thanks!
Oakland California airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.