Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gee, what are the odds?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Mechanical delays from MSP on July 22nd, was Gee, what are the odds?

I was on NWA #806 tonight from MSP - MSY, going out of gate G12. My fellow passengers waiting at the gate witnessed something that couldn't have been a coincidence. Both our plane and the one going to MCI at the next gate had mechanical delays due to cabin pressurization "issues," specifically concerning the sealing of the door.

A Platinum I was talking to thought it was a delay caused by the pilots making a statement in support of the mechanics. It made sense to me. He had never had a mechanical issue like that, and neither have I.

Finally, our flight to MSY was changed to another plane at Gate 13, where there was yet another delay by the same pilots. The gate agent continually walked in and out of The Door, coming out and delaying the flight just a little more.

This struck as one of those things that make you go "hmmmm." Anyone else experience something like this today? Are they starting to screw with us?

Last edited by flying_kittens; Jul 24, 2005 at 1:16 pm Reason: title change
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:15 am

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455243

Many of us are experiencing a high number of flight delays and cancellations caused mostly by (unofficially) NW’s labor problems.

My travels over the past week or so:

DTW-ORD: delayed due to weather… from 12-hours ago (no time to catch-up NW?)
ORD-DTW: on-time

FNT-DTW: waited a few minutes for aircraft to arrive from MBS (!) – flight routed MBS-FNT-DTW due to missing aircraft in FNT (maintenance related)
DTW-LGA: cancelled due to maintenance
DTW-LGA: departed a half-hour late or so
LGA-DTW: massive delays into NYC due to weather, departed late
DTW-FNT: misconnected, opted to get ride home

FNT-DTW: cancelled due to maintenance, opted to drive to DTW
DTW-TPA: flight delayed 2+ hours awaiting inbound aircraft from ORD (delayed in ORD due to maintenance)
TPA-DTW: cancelled due to maintenance
TPA-DTW: aircraft pushed back on-time, sat on runway for 3+ hours due to “weather in Detroit” ( ) … then flight delayed into next morning due to crew rest
TPA-DTW: (third attempt) departed/arrived when it was suppose to…

FNT-DTW: cancelled due to maintenance; after arguing with elite line rebooked onto AirTran nonstop into TPA
TPA-DTW: on-time
DTW-FNT: delayed two hours due to maintenance
Old Jul 23, 2005, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
A lot of unusual maintainance delays occured yesterday for the NRT flights from DTW and MSP.

NW 3
NW 11
NW 25

Coincidence? Are mechanics union trying to screw us??
Old Jul 23, 2005, 2:27 pm

Programs: DELTA
Cool This Could Be Helpful for My Wife

Originally Posted by Bagels
See:

Many of us are experiencing a high number of flight delays and cancellations caused mostly by (unofficially) NW’s labor problems.
Ironically, this could be helpful for my wife who is currently flying NAN-LAX-MSP (Fiji to Minneapolis vis LAX). Her Air Pacific flight was two hours delayed getting out, and a staged delay could actually help her make her NW connection in LAX, which is the last flight out before the red-eye.

-Alan

Last edited by Poopdeck90210; Jul 23, 2005 at 2:31 pm
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Can we get a more descriptive thread title please?

-RM
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:06 pm

Ouch

Originally Posted by Bagels
See:

My travels over the past week or so:

DTW-ORD: delayed due to weather… from 12-hours ago (no time to catch-up NW?)
ORD-DTW: on-time

FNT-DTW: waited a few minutes for aircraft to arrive from MBS (!) – flight routed MBS-FNT-DTW due to missing aircraft in FNT (maintenance related)
DTW-LGA: cancelled due to maintenance
DTW-LGA: departed a half-hour late or so
LGA-DTW: massive delays into NYC due to weather, departed late
DTW-FNT: misconnected, opted to get ride home

FNT-DTW: cancelled due to maintenance, opted to drive to DTW
DTW-TPA: flight delayed 2+ hours awaiting inbound aircraft from ORD (delayed in ORD due to maintenance)
TPA-DTW: cancelled due to maintenance
TPA-DTW: aircraft pushed back on-time, sat on runway for 3+ hours due to “weather in Detroit” ( ) … then flight delayed into next morning due to crew rest
TPA-DTW: (third attempt) departed/arrived when it was suppose to…

FNT-DTW: cancelled due to maintenance; after arguing with elite line rebooked onto AirTran nonstop into TPA
TPA-DTW: on-time
DTW-FNT: delayed two hours due to maintenance
Sounds like some painful travel....
Old Jul 23, 2005, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
Originally Posted by Poopdeck90210
Ironically, this could be helpful for my wife who is currently flying NAN-LAX-MSP (Fiji to Minneapolis vis LAX). Her Air Pacific flight was two hours delayed getting out, and a staged delay could actually help her make her NW connection in LAX, which is the last flight out before the red-eye.
Not to pry, Alan, but your wife goes off to Fiji w/out you???
Old Jul 28, 2005, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by TrayflowInUK
Not to pry, Alan, but your wife goes off to Fiji w/out you???
Certainly for $51 you could have afforded another ticket, no?
Old Jul 28, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
I sometimes wonder where this world is going...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.