Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mile Upgarde to BA Premier Economy

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2005, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
AA Mile Upgarde to BA Premier Economy

I can not seem to find any information on using AA miles to upgrade from BA economy to BA Premier economy. Can this be done?
Old May 23, 2005, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan
Originally Posted by sobore
I can not seem to find any information on using AA miles to upgrade from BA economy to BA Premier economy. Can this be done?

NO.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:01 am
Suspended

Premier Economy = World Traveller Plus

You cannot upgrade using AAdvantage Miles on BA services. I do not think AAdvantage allows upgrades through any other FF scheme apart from on AA.

You can however, use your AAdvantage Miles to redeem full reward seats on BA in World Traveller (coach), World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy), Club World (Business Class) and FIRST. Not on US-UK routes (except codeshare to Manchester).

It is not really worthwhile, particularly from the US, to upgrade from World Traveller to World Traveller Plus; much better to use 25k BA Miles to upgrade a WT+ fare round trip to Club World flat beds.

So join the British Airways Executive Club if you want to upgrade on BA.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ub&sec=joininf

You can earn 15,000 BA Miles by signing up for a credit card at www.ba.com, and purchase the remainder 10,000 required if you have no other AA flights, hotel stays etc to credit to your BA account.

All WT+ fares are eligible for upgrade, assuming there is availability, and if flying from the West Coast USA you will earn about half the miles back again at a rate of 1.25 per miles flown credited to your BAEC account.

WT+ fares can sometimes be prohibitive, but if you book 42 days in advance you get the best deals, and they start in the region of $550 incl taxes; far less than any AA coach fare plus co-pay.

To maximise the value of you 25k upgrade, take a side trip from London to Europe, which will also qualify for an upgrade to Club Europe both ways, giving full lounge access, in flight champagne and meal service. This should not add significantly to the cost of your flight.

Last edited by apudme; May 26, 2005 at 9:05 am
Old May 23, 2005, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
Originally Posted by apudme
You cannot upgrade using AAdvantage Miles on BA services. I do not think AAdvantage allows upgrades through any other FF scheme apart from on AA.

You can however, use your AAdvantage Miles to redeem full reward seats on BA in World Traveller (coach), World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy), Club World (Business Class) and FIRST.

It is not really worthwhile, particularly from the US, to upgrade from World Traveller to World Traveller Plus; much better to use 25k BA Miles to upgrade a WT+ fare round trip to Club World flat beds.

So join the British Airways Executive Club if you want to upgrade on BA.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ub&sec=joininf

You can earn 15,000 BA Miles by signing up for a credit card at www.ba.com, and purchase the remainder 10,000 required if you have no other AA flights, hotel stays etc to credit to your BA account.

All WT+ fares are eligible for upgrade, assuming there is availability, and if flying from the West Coast USA you will earn about half the miles back again at a rate of 1.25 per miles flown credited to your BAEC account.

WT+ fares can sometimes be prohibitive, but if you book 42 days in advance you get the best deals, and they start in the region of $550 incl taxes; far less than any AA coach fare plus co-pay.

To maximise the value of you 25k upgrade, take a side trip from London to Europe, which will also qualify for an upgrade to Club Europe both ways, giving full lounge access, in flight champagne and meal service. This should not add significantly to the cost of your flight.
Outstanding information! Thank you apudme! ^
Old May 23, 2005, 11:07 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan

You can however, use your AAdvantage Miles to redeem full reward seats on BA in World Traveller (coach), World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy), Club World (Business Class) and FIRST.
Not if you are flying from US to UK

He also failed to mention few important points. If you are not a BA FF member now, it will take a full fare flight to join(read=$$$$). The mileage earning with BA economy is very poor. I would really look into it before jumping in.

Last edited by andrzej; May 23, 2005 at 11:16 am
Old May 23, 2005, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrzej
Not if you are flying from US to UK

He also failed to mention few important points. If you are not a BA FF member now, it will take a full fare flight to join(read=$$$$). The mileage earning with BA economy is very poor. I would really look into it before jumping in.
andrzej is absolutely correct you cannot redeem awards using AA Miles on BA metal and vice versa US-UK, but you can redeem Canada/Mexico/Caribbean - UK. And also on the AA codeshare using BA metal to MAN (Manchester).

You do not have to take a full fare flight; signing up for the credit card is sufficient to qualify you for membership in BA Executive Club; if you have no credit rating simply book a fully refundable ticket, apply for a BAEC card, and then cancel your trip once a BAEC card is issued.

The mileage earning for BA economy is 25% of miles flown for the cheapest fares; all others will earn 100% of miles flown in economy.

Indeed for WT+ fares (which are the ones through which you get most utility, as these are upgradeable to Club World flat beds) BAEC offer 125% of miles flown, while AAdvantage only offers 110% of miles flown for the same fare (assuming you were on a BA service [ie non US-UK excl MAN] which could earn AAdvantage miles).

So all of the above is manageable; just do watch out as andrzej rightly stated for crediting cheap coach fares on AA to BAEC; in this regard BAEC is poor value.

But BAEC does offer one way rewards, which can sometimes prove useful; a feature not permitted on AAdvantage.

And of course, on top of the co-pay AAdvantage requires 50k miles for an upgrade round trip; it's only 25k BA Miles round trip on BA, and no co-pay.

However, with newly enhanced softer foams, fluffier pillows and blankets, an enhanced food service and raid the larder snack anytime service, as well as Print your Own Boarding Pass and a welcome drink of champagne on boarding, Club World will feel more like First Class on other airlines, and so the WT+ to Club World upgrade is even more valuable than ever before.

www.deepersleep.co.uk

Rumours that this great 25k upgrade deal will end soon persist, so I encourage you to take the plunge now, and the friendly bods over at another forum will be more than happy to guide you.

When and where do you plan to fly?
Old May 23, 2005, 11:36 am
Suspended

However, with newly enhanced softer foams, fluffier pillows and blankets, an enhanced food service and raid the larder snack anytime service, as well as Print your Own Boarding Pass and a welcome drink of champagne on boarding, Club World will feel more like First Class on other airlines...
Nice try.

"Other airlines"? Certainly not the good ones.
Old May 23, 2005, 1:49 pm

and a welcome drink of champagne on boarding, Club World will feel more like First Class on other airlines,

I still cant believe BA advertises a welcome drink of champagne - I mean what airline doesnt offer pre departure champagne on an international flight in J.
Next they will promote the fact that you receive the services of a flight attendant inflight!!
Old May 23, 2005, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
The mileage earning for BA economy is 25% of miles flown for the cheapest fares; all others will earn 100% of miles flown in economy.
I wouldn't say it's even for the "cheapest" fares unless by cheapest you mean anything less than full fare. You only earn 100% in Y, B, and H class on BA. So it's not like we're talking only about deep discount economy. I'm not sure what fare classes on AA they consider full fare. Just Y and B?
Old May 23, 2005, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by acf573
I wouldn't say it's even for the "cheapest" fares unless by cheapest you mean anything less than full fare. You only earn 100% in Y, B, and H class on BA. So it's not like we're talking only about deep discount economy.
There is no question you are 100% correct and apudme's statement is completely misleading.

These are the "cheapest fares" (earning only 25% mileage, w/a 125 mile minimum) in BA-world: G, K, L, M, N, O, Q, R, S, V.
Old May 23, 2005, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by 1/4MM@20
I still cant believe BA advertises a welcome drink of champagne - I mean what airline doesnt offer pre departure champagne on an international flight in J.
Next they will promote the fact that you receive the services of a flight attendant inflight!!
My understanding is that it is a new service development for BA.
Old May 23, 2005, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PresRDC
My understanding is that it is a new service development for BA.
You are correct, in order to maintain profitability, post 9/11 the pre flight champagne was briefly replaced with orange juice and mineral water in Club World.

Moves such as this have delivered sustained profitability in what has been a challenging environment:

13 May 2005 British Airways today announced a pre-tax profit of £415 million for the year to March 31, 2005 (2004: £230 million profit). There was a pre-tax profit for the fourth quarter of £5 million (2004: £45 million profit).

Operating profit for the year was £540 million (2004: £405 million profit). The operating margin was 6.9 per cent (2004: 5.4). The operating profit for the fourth quarter was £40 million (2004: £32 million profit).

Net debt at £2.9 billion fell by £1.2 billion during the year and is at its lowest level since 1993. Cash inflow, before financing, was £1.2 billion, an increase of £307 million.

A new programme of improvements to Club World will be completed fleetwide by November 2005, including the latest third generation Club World Fully Flat Bed, with softer cushioning which addresses many of the concerns some have had in the past about the seat.

The replacement to the newly rolled out third generation flat bed is already being explored, bolstered by the airline's ability to invest in further enhancing, innovating and developing its on board, on the ground and e-products.

www.deepersleep.co.uk
Old May 23, 2005, 2:34 pm
Suspended

And of course, on top of the co-pay AAdvantage requires 50k miles for an upgrade round trip; it's only 25k BA Miles round trip on BA, and no co-pay.
And, using the exact standard discussed above-- there is no co-pay on AA-- you simply have to not buy "the cheapest fares"* but "all other"† AA fares require no co-pay.

*as in almost all of them
† Y and B only

At least make the relentless, repetitive, boring, pedantic BA-Spam slightly accurate.
Old May 23, 2005, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
And, using the exact standard discussed above-- there is no co-pay on AA-- you simply have to not buy "the cheapest fares"* but "all other"† AA fares require no co-pay.

*as in almost all of them
† Y and B only
And with the no co-pay "not cheapest" fares on AA you still:

1. Have to cough up double the amount of AA Miles (50k AA round trip vs. just 25k BA Miles round trip).

2. Only get 100% AA Miles to AAdvantage for your upgraded flight - BA will award 125% of miles flown to your BAEC account.

3. Do not get a fully flat bed.

4. Have no opportunity to fly in the Upper Deck on a 747.

5. Do not get a Molton Brown Spa at LHR and JFK.

6. Have to eat off plastic cutlery.

7. Get treated like a terrorist for lining up for the bathroom.

8. In many cases still pay more on AA with OR WITHOUT a co-pay than you would for a WT+ upgradeable to Club World fare eg BOS-LHR return in November/December from $624 including taxes.

9. Have only one daily direct service from West Coast USA.

Last edited by apudme; May 23, 2005 at 3:48 pm
Old May 23, 2005, 3:44 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
And with the no co-pay "not cheapest" fares on AA you still:
9. Have no direct service from West Coast USA.
Then where the hell do those LAX-LHR AA flights go? Now you've got me concerned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.