Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QP and QF Silver, yet refused business class check-in at SIN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QP and QF Silver, yet refused business class check-in at SIN

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2005, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have seen some soup in MEL Int J QP (Afternoons only).
Old May 4, 2005, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by Alan in CBR
I think it is pretty well understood that the Wing and Pier set the standard for lounges. I look forward to trying them one day. I think it is slightly unfair though to use the Domestic QP (you said you were flying to CBR) for the comparison. Mind you, the INT QPs still lack the hot food option.
Well even @ the TPE airport the CX Lounge there beats any QP (F or J Class)

I think it is a culture thing. Most westerner rank Alcohol as more important than food whereas for Asians it is usually the other way around. (That is why CX have developed a NON ALCOHOLIC cocktail! CX Delight!!! Yummmm!
Old May 4, 2005, 8:07 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
Originally Posted by newcx12345
Well even @ the TPE airport the CX Lounge there beats any QP (F or J Class)
GARBAGE...the CX lounges at TPE (both F and J) are frankly pretty ordinary (unless you have a noodle fetish!). Just about any QF international lounge I have been is as good or better.
Old May 4, 2005, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by whughes3
GARBAGE...the CX lounges at TPE (both F and J) are frankly pretty ordinary (unless you have a noodle fetish!). Just about any QF international lounge I have been is as good or better.
NO! At the TPE lounge ( i was jsut there on Sunday) they have more food than NOODLES! and they have dim sum and pastries which are HOT! Also the beverage selection is much bigger than any QP (incl SYD F CLASS). They even have 2 brands of mineral water!

There is also a seperate F Section!

also the Internet access there is MUCH faster than QF's F Class lounge in SYD!

The view is also nice to the tarmac and gate!

Although not as big as the HKG lounges I find it acceptable (as long as not all the QF people all come in at the same time! Also the ambience is just so much elegant than any QP (with the marble and the granite. The toilets are are pretty nice (with Durvait and VB basins).

Really Name me one QP that has all these!
Old May 5, 2005, 5:58 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by newcx12345
NO! At the TPE lounge ( i was jsut there on Sunday) they have more food than NOODLES! and they have dim sum and pastries which are HOT! Also the beverage selection is much bigger than any QP (incl SYD F CLASS). They even have 2 brands of mineral water!

There is also a seperate F Section!

also the Internet access there is MUCH faster than QF's F Class lounge in SYD!

The view is also nice to the tarmac and gate!

Although not as big as the HKG lounges I find it acceptable (as long as not all the QF people all come in at the same time! Also the ambience is just so much elegant than any QP (with the marble and the granite. The toilets are are pretty nice (with Durvait and VB basins).

Really Name me one QP that has all these!
I'm with whughes3, the CX TPE lounge is very basic, especially for an international lounge, does not vaguely compare to most QPs. Its even worst than the HKG QP/BA lounge (both its J and F sections), and that is saying something !

Yes it has a Noodle Bar, but they just pour hot water over cheap noodles and cover them in a sauce comprised of chilly and MSG ! - and there are very few other options (except the ones you mention).

Yes there is an F section, but int. QPs on the whole have seperate F lounges - and there is practically nothing in the tiny CX TPE F section, apart from the computer terminals. I had to keep going back into the J section to get food etc, cos there was so little on offer in the F section !

And when I was there (in March) it was also the busiest lounge I have ever seen. When I entered it was only half full, but by the time I left it was standing room only, literally - came out of the F section (which was also almost totally full) and was amazed to see how full the J section was, worst than a bus terminal ! There was a queue of 20 people at the Noodle Bar !

So I would not be using this lounge as an example of a good lounge myself either !

Last edited by Aisle Seat H; May 5, 2005 at 6:01 am
Old May 5, 2005, 7:09 pm

Thanks for confirming my recollections, Aisle seat H..it's been a few months since was there last, but I didn't think I could possibly be that far wrong!
Old May 6, 2005, 9:27 am

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Thanks for confirming my recollections, Aisle seat H..it's been a few months since was there last, but I didn't think I could possibly be that far wrong!
Old May 7, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Back to Singapore check in...

You will have no luck with trying the e-ticket route as they look you up on the computer before they let you in.

ONLY business or QF/BA emerald get in. CX is NOT allowed to use the facility (they haven't paid I guess).
Usually QF has a Qantas CLub or Gold/Silver line open. You were unlucky.

Believe me, it is a WASTE OF TIME trying to wave the OW rules in the SATS peoples faces. The Singapore situation is unique and it is not a OW check in, the battle you should force is with QF/ BA et al to ensure thay have a separate line for their economy travelling elites.
Old May 7, 2005, 7:20 pm

Whenever I have checked in at SIN, the people have just asked me "Are you travelling business or first" to which I answer "yes", and I am allowed into the premium checkin facility without further ado..I don't recall ever being asked to show any evidence. Maybe I just look the right type??
Old May 8, 2005, 11:18 am

Programs: PC Plat, IC Amb, BAEC Blue
Whenever I have checked in at SIN, the people have just asked me "Are you travelling business or first" to which I answer "yes", and I am allowed into the premium checkin facility without further ado..I don't recall ever being asked to show any evidence. Maybe I just look the right type??
Can confirm that after travelling back on Saturday 30th April from Singapore to LHR in F they do now stop you as you approch the entrance to the elite check in area, they ask your name, class of travel, your destination, your departure time and with which airline you are flying with. They then check on their computer and then take you through to an agent inside. They also take your luggage for you at this point.
Old May 8, 2005, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Rob_Lester
Can confirm that after travelling back on Saturday 30th April from Singapore to LHR in F they do now stop you as you approch the entrance to the elite check in area, they ask your name, class of travel, your destination, your departure time and with which airline you are flying with. They then check on their computer and then take you through to an agent inside. They also take your luggage for you at this point.

And as reported earlier in my posts, I had the same experience. If you are not on their (computer) list or cannot produce a valid ticket, they don't let you in.

OK, but then there should have been:

1. A Qantas Club/Silver/Gold check-in desk open elsewhere.
2. A better worded sign about elite check-in. Eg the notice 'Passengers in First Class and Business Class please proceed to the elite check-in behind row 4' has added to it: 'Qantas Club, QFF Gold and Silver members may use the dedicated check-in in row x'.

For me it was about Qantas honouring a published and possibly paid for benefit without having to put their customers through confrontational experiences.
Old May 11, 2005, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
Follow up:

Nice call today from Qantas Customer Care.

They were very apologetic and said that they would chase the matter with Singapore. According to them, the situation should not have happened. They believed that a Qantas Club/Silver/Gold check-in desk should have been open.

They considered 2.5 to 3 hours before flight time to be reasonable for check-in and had noted that there was another QF flight leaving even earlier than mine.

Possibly the situation was caused by a staff shortage on the day.
Old May 12, 2005, 3:03 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
Thanks for providing the update Austman. It is good that QF followed it up with you, but it would seem from their reply that perhaps QC members and FFs with appropriate status actually cannot use F/J checkin at Changi (in the absence of a dedicated QC etc. checkin), and QF's solution is to ensure there is a dedicated QC and status checkin open at all relevant times. Which is still misleading if anyone happens to strike the situation you did.

Hopefully a rare (or even one-off) occurrence.

Will be interested to hear if they contact you further regarding this (after they "chase the matter with Singapore").

Regards
Chris.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.