Search

RIP for EXP Luggage Tags?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Thumbs down RIP for EXP Luggage Tags?

After qualifying on December 8, I finally received my long-awaited EXP "credentials" today. They consisted of (1) an EXP card and (2) a blank sheet of paper to which the card was affixed. No luggage tags, no membership guide, no welcome letter, nothing.

I called the EXP Desk and was told that luggage tags have been discontinued, even for EXPs.

If this is true, it's pretty sad.

Last edited by vasantn; Mar 30, 2005 at 2:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
I qualified (for the first time) in late December, and I received my packet about three weeks ago -- welcome letter, very nicely printed membership guide, EXP card, and two luggage tags.

Are you sure this wasn't a "lost card" packet? When my PLT packet didn't arrive last year, they sent me one of those. It was just the card, no membership guide or anything.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You are probably right. I did complain about not getting my packet a few weeks ago, so this may have been the replacement. But I still want my luggage tags! I'll call again; perhaps the EXP Desk agent was mistaken.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:20 pm

exec plats still get luggage tags you're just talking to the wrong department..the exec desk has nothing to do with luggage tags...you need to speak with Advantage Customer Service.......
Old Mar 29, 2005, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT (Ex-EXP) .7MM, Marriott PLT, Hertz PC
I got my new EXP packet (with nice personalized booklet, etc) last month. I tore through it, saw the card, and ripped out... the luggage tags. Everyone wants the luggage tags!!

From the sound of it, there will be riots if those things ever get discontinued. I actually thought about where to put them on my bag to get the most exposure.

My name is AAND and I'm an EXP snob.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 8:35 pm

I was just going to say, are the luggage tags really that important? Are you that vain that you are an EXP that you need to show everyone? Oh wait, I have them on my bags HE HE. Keep calling until you get the right answer. You deserve them
Old Mar 29, 2005, 9:06 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
I just rec'd my 2MM envelope, included were a new EXP 2MM card, 2 EXP 2MM luggage tags and ties, and the good news:

my 4 eVP's don't expire until 2/07.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I would sugget luggage tags in the shape of a soy not.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 5:20 am

The EXP luggage tags do not give your bag any priority. I don't understand the importance of them. I never even put mine on my newest suitcase.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:28 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Ocean1971
The EXP luggage tags do not give your bag any priority. I don't understand the importance of them. I never even put mine on my newest suitcase.
It's that age old question... Paper or Plastic (name and address for each bag.) They seem to hold up better than the paper name tags.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 1MM, working my way back up to AS and Marriott elite status post-baby!
Originally Posted by Ocean1971
Yes, they do! The only time I've checked bags since receiving them, my bag was within the first five off the belt! I'm sure the fact that I checked in about 31 minutes before flight departure had nothing to do with that... it was the tags!

But seriously. The importance of them is that they're cool

My name is Flyer23, and I, too, am an EXP snob
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:34 pm

At JFK, having any sort of AA tag guarantees that your bag will be ejected last after being dragged from the plane underneath a baggage cart and having all the handles ripped off. I do have to say that having an old AA plat tag on my bag does seem to confuse CO and means I always get my bag first when flying them!

Originally Posted by Flyer23
Yes, they do! The only time I've checked bags since receiving them, my bag was within the first five off the belt! I'm sure the fact that I checked in about 31 minutes before flight departure had nothing to do with that... it was the tags!

But seriously. The importance of them is that they're cool

My name is Flyer23, and I, too, am an EXP snob
Old Mar 30, 2005, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA - LFT GLD 1MM, UA - 2P, SPG - LFT Plat, Hyatt - Plat, HH - Gold, Avis - CHM
so exp luggage tags are still being sent, but gold and platinum are not?
Old Mar 30, 2005, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by wuhoo
so exp luggage tags are still being sent, but gold and platinum are not?
Gold and Platinum have not received luggage tags for over two years now. Except for MM's.
Old Apr 4, 2005, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update

I was told in 3 separate follow-up conversations that there are no more EXP tags, and tags are only issued for MM milestones starting in 2005. After much argument they agreed to reorder tags for me since I had qualified in 2004 and never received them. Let's see if they actually appear.

I estimate that AA will save the huge sum of $100,000 annually by eliminating EXP luggage tags. Well, a penny saved, etc ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.