Jetsgo Airline (Canada) Ceases Operations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Jetsgo Airline (Canada) Ceases Operations

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americ...eut/index.html
Old Mar 11, 2005, 11:52 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite, Starwood Gold, Kmart ShopYourWay Rewards
Aww...I didn't know Jetsgo was Canada's third largest carrier with 10% of the market. Hmm. They had 25 planes...not that big...their website jetsgo.net is down too. Looks like they really just disappeared.
Now what will Orlando Sanford International Airport do?
Southeast Airlines collapsed, PanAm pretty much pulled almost all flights out, and now Jetsgo died as well.
http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/
SFB is on a decline...hopefully some other carrier will come!
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
It looks like they just closed the doors and ran. The website is down, they've removed all terminals from the airport and are not answering the phones. I don't know Canadian law, but I sure hope the executives at this company get what they deserve after screwing 17,000 customers and not even having the guts to talk to them or post a note on their website
Old Mar 11, 2005, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
The management should be held personally liable for getting their passengers replacement travel.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:06 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Damn, they even stranded their own crews. What a bunch of jerks.

Bob
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
Damn, they even stranded their own crews. What a bunch of jerks.

Bob
If there was ever an example where a strong union was needed, the Jetgo debacle is it!

Cheers
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by negotiator
If there was ever an example where a strong union was needed, the Jetgo debacle is it!

Cheers
The unions are plenty strong over at US Air. Let's see how much better its employees fare in the coming months.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 4:57 pm

http://www.canada.com/businesscentre...2d4d5c6&page=1
very long article
and about picking on US Air- they're still around after almost everybody was sure of liquidation two years ago, one year ago, a few months ago, and a few weeks ago. seems like they'll be here for a while
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Wow, I was just looking at fares on their site on Wednesday for a contemplated trip to Montreal...glad I decided to go to Miami instead! Feel really bad for people stranded at destinations like RSW where there are no other options to get back other than driving the 100 or more miles to another Florida airport or dealing with trying to get a US domestic flight and then a connection back to Canada.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:31 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by bursa
Aww...I didn't know Jetsgo was Canada's third largest carrier with 10% of the market. Hmm. They had 25 planes...not that big...their website jetsgo.net is down too. Looks like they really just disappeared.
Now what will Orlando Sanford International Airport do?
Southeast Airlines collapsed, PanAm pretty much pulled almost all flights out, and now Jetsgo died as well.
http://www.orlandosanfordairport.com/
SFB is on a decline...hopefully some other carrier will come!
I dont think One small aircraft a week will have much effect, as long as the British Charter Airlines with Daily BIG 747's and high density all coach 767's continue to use Sanford things will be fine, I also understand that due to the Cheap $ business from UK is up almost 30% for 2005.
Old Mar 11, 2005, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by negotiator
They are a union shop (Teamsters mostly although it appears the pilots had their own psuedo union) what exactly could the union have done in this circumstance?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
And as of this morning, their green and white billboard on Route US1 South near EWR was still up and promoting low fare trips to Toronto.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by KentownFlorida
I dont think One small aircraft a week will have much effect, as long as the British Charter Airlines with Daily BIG 747's and high density all coach 767's continue to use Sanford things will be fine, I also understand that due to the Cheap $ business from UK is up almost 30% for 2005.
True. Actually Jetsgo had 8 weekly flights, I believe, to SFB. SFB practically relies on British charters now, save a few TMA flights.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 6:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelManKen
It looks like they just closed the doors and ran. The website is down, they've removed all terminals from the airport and are not answering the phones. I don't know Canadian law, but I sure hope the executives at this company get what they deserve after screwing 17,000 customers and not even having the guts to talk to them or post a note on their website
Did you mean they removed all the signs from the terminals? While the Old Terminal 1 at YYZ did get removed, it was home to Air Canada's international operations.

The Executives of this company are bankrupt themselves as a result. They did not come in and talk to the customers themselves, nor did any employee as they decided to cease operations, not go into re-organisation. If they were to work at the airport the following day, they would not be paid and certainly could not interline these folks, who would honour the tickets?

Crappy thing to do, absolutely. Any worse than Enron did to its shareholders and employers, absolutely not.

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
The management should be held personally liable for getting their passengers replacement travel.
Sorry, caveat emptor. It is a free market economy in Canada and businesses come and go. What exactly should they do - act like a travel agent and find flights for those who were booked but unable to get home? So realistic

Rumours have been circulating for some time that they were about to go under. In addition at Christmas they stranded or delayed thousands of people - some folks just don't believe reality.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 1:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Aren't the bankruptcy laws in Canada very different than the U.S? For instance, here carriers can go into chapter 11 (reorganization) for years, and then, if they don't come out, they go into chapter 7 (stop flying). In Canada, you're either financially sound or you're just out of business? Does that sound right?

Is Ansett's demise a similar analogy to what happened in Canada? Didn't they stop flying without any advance notice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.