Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: "We Don't Match Fares"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:41 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
AA: "We Don't Match Fares"

I thought I had read recently here that AA has implemented a new policy where it will match the fare of a competitor on the same route and time if you request it. So, I saw a great fare on Northwest and called the AA Platinum Desk to ask what the details were on fare matching. I was told that the policy had not changed, and that AA simply did not match other airlines' fares on request. If AA is going to offer a matching fare, it will simply make those fares available as part of its normal price structure.

This is the way it has always been done, and it does make sense to me. But, before giving up on getting a decent fare, I thought I'd throw it out to the Flyertalk group. Does AA, in fact, fare match if you find a lower fare on a competitor, or is it still going by the model it has always used?
Old Dec 28, 2004, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Hoc
I thought I had read recently here that AA has implemented a new policy where it will match the fare of a competitor on the same route and time if you request it.
My conclusion from the big thread on same was the exact opposite of that. I think the incidents were people said they successfully got a fare-match were outnumbered by a huge, huge margin by those who were told "we don't do that." Certainly nothing has been implemented recently to do so (at least w/o the assistance of a TA or corp travel dept.)

And, IMHO, they really don't match fares by request-- I've not seen any convincing evidence otherwise (barring extenuating/unusual circumstances.)

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ght=fare+match
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ght=fare+match

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 28, 2004 at 6:56 pm Reason: to add links
Old Dec 28, 2004, 7:19 pm

Programs: United 1K
The CSA does not have the authority to match fares since they are computer generated. In the past (pre 9/11), some airlines allowed you to use an Entertainment discount coupon valid on CO.
Old Dec 28, 2004, 8:52 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
AA won't even match some of their own fares listed on Expedia--- I found a fare on American that Expedia sold for $60 cheaper, but the Platinum desk said they could not match it [despite it not being a consolidator fare] I was told that some fares are sold in bulk to Expedia, and once AA.com runs out of those and if another site such as Expedia still offers the cheaper fare, AA won't match such a fare.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:22 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
AA Agent Expedia Fare MAtch

AA Internet Booking Line will match AA fares listed on other web sites if you hold the fare (don't purchase it) and write down the record locator. At least they have for me twice so far. AA internet booking group (800-222-2377).

Originally Posted by Max M
AA won't even match some of their own fares listed on Expedia--- I found a fare on American that Expedia sold for $60 cheaper, but the Platinum desk said they could not match it [despite it not being a consolidator fare] I was told that some fares are sold in bulk to Expedia, and once AA.com runs out of those and if another site such as Expedia still offers the cheaper fare, AA won't match such a fare.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I occasionally had fares matched by the EXP desk when it was a case of "I can get this fare on Airline X, you can look it up, I'd like to fly on AA if it's anywhere near close, but for that difference I can't justify it." Even when I was EXP (until early this year) it was hit or miss. Occasionally I'd have to compromise by going to a nearby airport: "We can't get you into SJC for that, how about SFO?" Generally, the matches were when the lower fare was in principle available on the flight but was sold out. Yield Management would release another seat at that fare.

If you're not EXP, I'd say to forget it. It never hurts to ask, but IMHO it would be a waste of your time.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:41 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
AA internet booking group (800-222-2377).
That phone number is AA.com Tech Support department. Maybe they have the ability and the authorization to price things out differently than the reservations agents.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 7:54 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
AA does match fares on occasion

Originally Posted by Efrem
I occasionally had fares matched by the EXP desk when it was a case of "I can get this fare on Airline X, you can look it up, I'd like to fly on AA if it's anywhere near close, but for that difference I can't justify it."
I have had the same experience on several occasions, but not "frequently". Maybe one out of every five flights.

Generally, the matches were when the lower fare was in principle available on the flight but was sold out. Yield Management would release another seat at that fare.
Exactly. When I ask AA to match a fare, often they'll tell me "we don't have a lower fare in that market". But if they DO have a lower fare in that market, and the fare is sold out, they'll often allow one more ticket at that lower fare. I have also found that if the price difference is less than a certain dollar amount (and I'm not sure what that amount is), they don't hafta ask Yield Management. The EXP agent can override the fare right then and there. I also suspect (but am not sure) that the daytime EXP agents can do more for you than the night shift can.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I have had the same experience on several occasions, but not "frequently". Maybe one out of every five flights.

Exactly. When I ask AA to match a fare, often they'll tell me "we don't have a lower fare in that market". But if they DO have a lower fare in that market, and the fare is sold out, they'll often allow one more ticket at that lower fare. I have also found that if the price difference is less than a certain dollar amount (and I'm not sure what that amount is), they don't hafta ask Yield Management. The EXP agent can override the fare right then and there. I also suspect (but am not sure) that the daytime EXP agents can do more for you than the night shift can.
I will second the experiences of Efrem and SquareDanceGuy. On the last point by SquareDanceGuy I beg to differ. IMHO, day and night doesn't matter much - it's the EXP agents who are also qualified as supervisors that can override the system, not necessarily the day shift guys. That's why it pays to know an EXP angel and ask specifically for him/her.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Well then AA is just plain foolish.

I can travel from DCA-PSP on UA, CO, NW, and AW for $150 less than I can on AA.

How on earth am I supposed to justify that??

AA - if you want to prevent business from going to the competition, you need to price competitively....

Edit: .... I'm bracing for the AApologists to tell me that AA is still in business and not C11'd like the other guys because of its higher margins.. too bad my CFO doesn't care

Last edited by LewDog; Jan 8, 2005 at 1:05 pm
Old Jan 8, 2005, 4:04 pm

My experience has been quite different. Our corporate travel agent (American Express) gets matched fares for us all the time. We have negotiated rates that get xx% off the published fares (certain discounted fares don't get this applied). However, sometimes another airline might be signifcantly less. If I'm booking a flight and a competitor has a lower fare, I'd say she is 80% getting AA to match the fare. It needs to be apples to apples, though. Same cities, and same routing, etc.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM; US PP; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Wegmans Shoppers Club; ExxonMobil Speedpass
Agreed -- my corporate travel agency also has access to the "Fare Match Desk" and regularly matches significantly lower fares from many other domestic carriers. The qualifying criteria are time (+/- 3 hours of departure time per sector), # stops/connections, and how much revenue inventory is already sold on the AA sectors. I don't know if they enforce a specific fare class availability though it wouldn't surprise me.

When I've asked if I can use this desk for my own personal travel I've been told it's only available to corporate booking agents.

twj
Old Jan 8, 2005, 10:49 pm

ubelievable

absolutely unbelievable. i have called others and asked them to match in the past, especially on my elite lines . they asked for an airline fare code and if they could book it then on their internet, they matched it. stupid aa. leave the pillows and find something that alaska has done for years. offer a product with a price premium that is worth it to the customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.