Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Tax attack could end frequent-flyer boom

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2004, 11:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Tax Commissioner Michael Carmody has ordered a crackdown on business executives using their credit cards to accumulate vast numbers of frequent flyer points.

Anyone who collects more than 250,000 frequent flying points in a year will be subject to a special tax inquiry by "a senior technical leader", Mr Carmody said.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...?from=storylhs
Old Jul 24, 2004, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, and MM, Marriott Platinum
I know it would hurt Austrailians but how could it end the FF programs if it is only one country?
Old Jul 24, 2004, 4:00 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
More discussion here:

Do you earn more than 250,000 FF points a year?
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:26 pm

Would the resources of the tax office be better used to ensure that companies pay exactly the tax they should.

I might be wrong but I do not think that the tax that might be collected from business executives who earn lots of FF points.

Regards,
AussieStarBloke
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:15 pm
PB

Programs: QF-PS QP
Originally Posted by AussieStarBloke
I might be wrong but I do not think that the tax that might be collected from business executives who earn lots of FF points.
It looks like they're attempting to tax them under the Fringe Benefits Tax provisions, which means that the company would pay the tax.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

To be honest, it doesn't seem too unreasonable to me. If the company is paying for the trips, then the miles earned in this manner do seem to me to be a fringe benefit

If buying flights for business travel generates a free trip for the employee/director for their personal use, how is this not a fringe benefit?

Dave
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:56 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If buying flights for business travel generates a free trip for the employee/director for their personal use, how is this not a fringe benefit?
In this case it is not just the purchase of business travel that could make up the $250,000 spend. It could be anything that is billed to a credit card (rent, telephone, car expenses etc). Still, it doesn't change your point so long as someone else if actually paying the bill and not the CC holder.
Old Jul 25, 2004, 1:41 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
If they are going to tax points gained by an employee paying corporate expenses, why not tax FF gained by traveling for business ? It's the same rationale...

Not to give anyone stupid ideas, eh, as I think it would be unenforceable...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.