Search

New AA version Bose QC2 headphones bad news

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thumbs down New AA version Bose QC2 headphones bad news

IMO, they have taken an improved and brilliant product- and messed with it.

I have a pair of QuietComfort 2s:-: of my own, and love them over the QC1 - because I can use the 'phones without any cable for in-flight noise reduction, since the battery is in one of the earpods; the QC2s are much more portable- including a smaller case -than the QC1s; the QC2s require no box for battery and volume control, as these are now built into the headset itself (the volume control is in the 'phone end cable plug, which is not exceptionally convenient, but it works OK for me, and I usually set the volume at "Low" to allow background listening when I am relaxing.)

AA's new QC2s - I used a set on SJC - NRT - SJC trip within the last few days (returned yesterday,) are not the same ones you buy, they are custom made for AA (they must have done some deal to get all new NR headsets with the budget the way it is...)

The AA version comes in a specially-made grey case with a window, so FA's can see passengers turned the power off when they return them, a good thing, and the 'phones and case are emblazoned with AA logos, another good thing (in my "QC1 old days", I had brief discussions with a couple of FAs who wanted MY 'phones, thinking they were AAs.)

The AA QC2s also have the 'phone cable plug permanently fastened into the headset, so you can never disconnect the cable, and you can not adjust the headset volume, which AA have left at "high." When I tried to reduce the audio volume to a light background level to sleep on AA178 (NRT - SJC overnighter,) to cover the idiot couple in 11 A and B who met on the 'plane and couldn't stop talking all night - even after other pax spoke to them - the audio just plain cut out. When I listened to movie audio tracks or music at the lowest aircraft volume setting the deadset would accept, it was still quite loud - basically, at the loudest volume I normally listen to.

OK, this is a very minor gripe, and I am not asking for compensation , but if you have sensitive hearing at all and think you can use AAs QC2s on some international flights and leave your favorite headset at home for convenience - don't. Done, that been there, didn't like it at all.

So, anyone know 1) how AA got all these new headsets, and 2) what they are doing with the now-surplussed QC1s? Maybe some FTers would like to know...

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 24, 2004 at 7:35 pm
Old Jun 24, 2004, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
OK, this is a very minor gripe, and I am not asking for compensation , but if you have sensitive hearing at all and think you can use AAs QC2s on some international flights and leave your favorite headset at home for convenience - don't. Done, that been there, didn't like it at all.

So, anyone know 1) how AA got all these new headsets, and 2) what they are doing with the now-surplussed QC1s? Maybe some FTers would like to know...
Thanks for the heads up, JDiver! After carrying my own (Bose) headsets around for a couple of years, last month I decided I could do without them for a couple of 757 flights----WRONG! Won't happen again! Can't wait to hear if anyone knows what happened to the now-surplussed QC1's!
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:47 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I'm wondering if any of the Bose stores carry the QC1 at reduced price? I would love to get one of those as I know they make a big difference inflight. I used them on a flight from JFK to LHR not too long ago to drown out the noise from the kids in 20A and 20B (i was in 14A). Sad thing was, the seeing eye dog seated in J was better behaved then the two kids.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Lightbulb And the Solution is .....

... the attenuating inline cord with volume control.

Gold-Plated Volume Control Cable for Stereo Headphones

$6.59 Brand: RadioShack
Catalog #: 42-2559 Model: 42-2559

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=42-2559

Just crank the volume up on the seat control so it doesn't cut out and use this puppy to quiet it down to your taste.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 7:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by gemini573
I'm wondering if any of the Bose stores carry the QC1 at reduced price?
About a month or so ago they were still available for $199. I suspect that will only be until the inventory is gone. You may also want to call them direct and also ask about refurbs. Bose always sells refurbed product for 10% off list. They carry a full warranty and they replace the outer case of the product. You would never know its a refurb. I bought some of their stuff that way and it looks and works just fine. They don't advertise refurbs but you have to ask. Sometimes they are only at the stores.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:27 am

Programs: , AA Plat 2MM, FB Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gemini573
I'm wondering if any of the Bose stores carry the QC1 at reduced price?.
Check some audiophile sites : the QC1's are rejects from a military contract for noise cancelling headphones (the contract was rejected due to poor performance of the noise cancellation function) that Bose dumped on AA for a great price.

Actually most audiophile site recommend staying away from all Bose products.

You rarely see Bose products reviewed since Bose has a policy of suing any magazine that reviews its products (all objective reviews tend to make Bose look bad compared to the competition). Consumer Report did it once and they were sued by Bose and Bose lost in court, but I haven't seen any more reviews by Consumer Report.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:40 am

Programs: Haven't travelled in ages, so i'm ther lowest of the low in all my programs now
On a related note, does anyone have any experience of the Plane Quiet Headphones verses the Bose QC2?

I'm thinking of buying my own for a while, but can't justify the Bose price. David (Travel Insider) Rowell suggests that the Plane Quiet phones are almost as good as the QC2 but i would like some more objective opinions if i can get them

Thanks

Jon
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:12 pm

My 25dB - Try The Sennheiser PXC 250

While the Bose product is decent, I listened very carefully, and chose the Sennheiser PXC 250. They are an active noise cancelling supraaural headphone, very light (under two oz) and they work stunningly well both in actively cancelling noise (they claim 15 dB at 1000Hz, which is right in the middle of speech frequencies) and passively blocking it (15-25dB of attenuation, similar to fingers or loosely-inserted foam earplugs). They fold up to roughly the size of a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses, and they come with the various prong adapters for various jack configuration.

The active noise cancellation is switchable, but volume is not adjustable. That said, these are very efficient headphones, so relatively little electrical input is required to make a pleasant listening volume. They claim to produce up to 106dB SPL at the ear, but I have not had a chance to verify this in our labs. There is also a circuitry/battery balun about the size of a medium cigar. My one criticism of the product is that the balun-to-audio-device cable is permanently attached (kevlar-reinforced, no less), and it tends to tangle with the other stuff in my carryon if I don't return it to the eyeglass-sized case after use.

All in all, the price (about $100) and the performance (superior in the situations where I compared them side-by-side with the QC2) and the very light/compact form factor led me to Sennheiser.

There's more information at http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/04924

An excellent choice for purely passive attenuation is Etymotic Research. Their ER-4 and ER-6 in-ear earphones are widely considered the best made. 35 db of attenuation means that they eliminate about 10X the noise of even the best active cancellers. The reason I chose the Sennheiser is that I find even perfectly-custom-fit in-canal devices uncomfortable for more than a few minutes at a time. They sound fantastic, but they're just Not My Thing comfort-wise.

Regards,

Eric
(who happens to be a sound and vibration geek for a living)

Last edited by VibeGuy; Jun 25, 2004 at 2:18 pm Reason: Add information about Etymotic Research
Old Jun 25, 2004, 4:53 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by VibeGuy
While the Bose product is decent, I listened very carefully, and chose the Sennheiser PXC 250. They are an active noise cancelling supraaural headphone, very light (under two oz) and they work stunningly well both in actively cancelling noise (they claim 15 dB at 1000Hz, which is right in the middle of speech frequencies) and passively blocking it (15-25dB of attenuation, similar to fingers or loosely-inserted foam earplugs). They fold up to roughly the size of a pair of Ray-Ban Wayfarer sunglasses, and they come with the various prong adapters for various jack configuration.

The active noise cancellation is switchable, but volume is not adjustable. That said, these are very efficient headphones, so relatively little electrical input is required to make a pleasant listening volume. They claim to produce up to 106dB SPL at the ear, but I have not had a chance to verify this in our labs. There is also a circuitry/battery balun about the size of a medium cigar. My one criticism of the product is that the balun-to-audio-device cable is permanently attached (kevlar-reinforced, no less), and it tends to tangle with the other stuff in my carryon if I don't return it to the eyeglass-sized case after use.

All in all, the price (about $100) and the performance (superior in the situations where I compared them side-by-side with the QC2) and the very light/compact form factor led me to Sennheiser.

There's more information at http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/04924

An excellent choice for purely passive attenuation is Etymotic Research. Their ER-4 and ER-6 in-ear earphones are widely considered the best made. 35 db of attenuation means that they eliminate about 10X the noise of even the best active cancellers. The reason I chose the Sennheiser is that I find even perfectly-custom-fit in-canal devices uncomfortable for more than a few minutes at a time. They sound fantastic, but they're just Not My Thing comfort-wise.

Regards,

Eric
(who happens to be a sound and vibration geek for a living)
I concur, I prefer them to Bose specially with the price.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Consumer Reports has not backed off on Bose products - their last report on a Bose product was July 2003, with summary recommendations in December 2003 (including two Bose products.)

Frankly, I have great difficulty believing the QC1 was ever made for the military - it doesn't even come close in manufacture and durability to Bose's (civilian) pilot NR headset. I suspect this is merely an undocumentable urban legend that appears on some sites, and will continue to treat it as such until proven wrong. I have used military headsets - IMO, the QC1s (or the case) do not come close to MILSPEC on any dimension.

Bose does have a habit of providing a mid-performance product at a top-level price, and I suspect they found a good marketing partner in American - and the AA QC1s are pretty much the same as any other QC1 (overpriced, but works.)

I use the Bose product because I need a phone cup that surrounds the ear due to some reconstructive cancer surgery on my ear, I don't like the feel of most "in-the-ear" products for hours at a time, and I hadn't had exposure to the Plane Quiets. Based on David's testing, I probably would have purchased those (hindsight is 20-20,) especially given one can purchase through his website at a discount. The Sennheiser has been well-recommended by others as well.

inlanikai, thanks for the heads-up. Sounds (!) like I could take one of the $6.59 Radio Schack attenuator- volume controls in my carry-on and plug the AA QC2s via the attenuator- v.c. Thanks!

Great replies, all, educational and interesting!

Originally Posted by ananthar
Check some audiophile sites : the QC1's are rejects from a military contract for noise cancelling headphones (the contract was rejected due to poor performance of the noise cancellation function) that Bose dumped on AA for a great price.

Actually most audiophile site recommend staying away from all Bose products.

You rarely see Bose products reviewed since Bose has a policy of suing any magazine that reviews its products (all objective reviews tend to make Bose look bad compared to the competition). Consumer Report did it once and they were sued by Bose and Bose lost in court, but I haven't seen any more reviews by Consumer Report.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM; HH plt; PC Gld; Sheraton gld
AA/Bose JV for QC1

According to AA website. My understanding is Pilots use Bose NC technology headsets. AA then approached Bose to make similar equipment for Biz and 1st class passengers and QC1 was developed. Thats why they were the first to offer QC1 in premium class.

As for QC2 funding, I am sure it is a matter of full depreciation of QC1 has been done and written off, time to renew assets (Earsets?) and QC2 is latest model...

Still curious where all the QC1 are going to go... Employees? Ebay? wholesale auctioneers?
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:54 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, UA PremEx, HH GLD, Avis PrefSel
I guess I'm an audiophile (at least my wife can't understand why our speakers cost what a small car does)

and I personally keep light years away from Bose stuff. In the consumer electronics A/V world, they are widely regarded as a company who has perpetuated one of the greatest frauds on the world against the unknowing consumer.

I tried several NC headsets, and eventually purchased Philips latest model ($70 by the way). THey cover the ear completely, are comfortable, and perform as well or better than the Bose product. As I shave my head, the over the head band is not as comfortable as many of its competitors, but this should not concern most people who have hair

And as far as Bose goes, I should sue them for the absolutely terrible audio system in my Audi A8.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5 Star PC
I did the Pepsi challenge with the Plane Quite, Bose QC1 and QC2 and a brookstone branded pair ($100). In the end I keep the Brookstone for their value and store reputation. The Bose performed only marginally better, and for the price it is not worth it. The Plane Quiet were very disappointing. I know there are mixed reviews on the PQ on FT, but my experience was negative and they sock you will a lot of return fees - watch out. Brookstone stands behind their products, so I know if they break, it will be easy to get them replaced.

It was fun to try all of them out - the FAs even joined in the game and they voted for the Brookstone as well considering the price.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 4:48 pm

I don't understand the criticsm of Bose for the three applications their philosophy of sound is actually relevant - NC headsets in public places, automobiles Iif tuned properly to the characteristics of the car) and lound music performances. Bose believes in modifying sound to suit the ear and the imperfect environments of listening. This, of course, is anathema to hi-fi purists who want no signal modification which is fine for clinically well-designed music chambers. But in these three applications where the sound is indeed processed, I think Bose has cornered the market and provides a satisfactory product.

Of course, they also position themselves in the high-end "booming base is good" home theater market which is where the criticism is well deserved.
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3.6...MM-gonna take LONGER to hit 4MM for those VIPs soon!
[QUOTE=jonhansen]On a related note, does anyone have any experience of the Plane Quiet Headphones verses the Bose QC2?

I'm thinking of buying my own for a while, but can't justify the Bose price. David (Travel Insider) Rowell suggests that the Plane Quiet phones are almost as good as the QC2 but i would like some more objective opinions if i can get them.

I have the Plane Quiet version. They are great for the price but I think the Bose product blocks more decibels of sound. I should have brought my PQ headset when flying AA Int'lly this spring to compare to the Bose.

Also, the jack plug on the PQ is not strong enough and breaks off easily- my headset is now for noise canceling only-no audio!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.