Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo reward flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Tokyo reward flights

Please forgive my ignorance as I only know the very basics here. I usually book reward Business Class flights to Orlando and use my Companion Voucher to Barbados / St Lucia each year and can get by... However, we are hoping to go to Tokyo next Spring so the 355 days is here or thereabouts but I just can't see any availability. Am I likely to get anything and if so, how best to go about it. I do apologise if I have posted in the wrong place but would appreciate any help.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:20 am

Programs: HH Gold; BA Gold; Hertz PC
Looks like you are only able to book 350 days ahead to Tokyo today, even with cash. I'm not sure why it is not 355 days but could be changes on the route coming. Might be worth a call,

I booked my redemption to Tokyo 355 days ahead a few years while in the back of a taxi in India! So a call is always worth trying.

As it is coming into cherry blossom season you need to be booking at the moment the availability is released, midnight at the moment and 1am when BST starts on Monday.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 6:41 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by realrose123
Please forgive my ignorance as I only know the very basics here. I usually book reward Business Class flights to Orlando and use my Companion Voucher to Barbados / St Lucia each year and can get by... However, we are hoping to go to Tokyo next Spring so the 355 days is here or thereabouts but I just can't see any availability. Am I likely to get anything and if so, how best to go about it. I do apologise if I have posted in the wrong place but would appreciate any help.
You are not alone in looking for reward flights to Tokyo; I too am seeking the same. It has become increasingly popular as a destination and as such reward flights come and go in an instant and, from what I have seen, where there is availability (which lasts momentarily) there is one seat. As an alternative, I have looked at redemptions with Qatar using Avios out of LHR via DOH and have had more success in finding availability (160,000 Avios per person return in Qsuites, which is cheaper than a BA redemption but you cannot use 2-4-1) in Feb/March 2025. Depending on your Avios balance that might be an option worth exploring.

PS: Welcome to Flyertalk
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Here’s the thread to read on 241 usage. Four J seats should open on every flight at 355 days out BA American Express companion voucher | master thread
Old Mar 28, 2024, 8:32 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Here’s the thread to read on 241 usage. Four J seats should open on every flight at 355 days out BA American Express companion voucher | master thread
Not super-helpful as OP has already tried T-355 and found nothing. The other answers before yours seem to potentially be more useful.
It's been a few years since I've booked a reward to Japan, but the buzz on FT is that it's getting harder to bag them (especially in spring) so you need to ring at midnight and hope and there seems to be an issue of 355 release maybe not happening as well.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:13 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Tokyo seats, particularly in premium cabins, do go very very quickly. Given phone agents can hold them and booking online you cannot, I would suggest you also need to call and be speaking to the agent at Midnight GMT.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:10 am

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
I am using the maximum visa waiver allowance of 180 days per year in Japan , spread across multiple long trips.

I have had excellent availability on JAL in business. I appreciate it may not be for you if you set on using AMEX voucher,but it's an option if you have enough Miles. I also had a lot of luck with Finn air in business lhr-tokyo,all last minute redemptions (via HEL)

Last edited by OGG flyer; Mar 28, 2024 at 11:20 am
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:24 am

Please forgive my ignorance
Oh, and Welcome to FT by the way
I am not one of the ambassadors, maybe one of them will be along to say hello.
But I see that it's your first post despite obviously being a veteran of the rewards sphere, so kudos for jumping in.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Japan is a great place to visit. I'm assuming that you may well be looking at Spring as it's blossom season which can make it difficult to get availability. I'm working my way through the seasons and have recently booked Winter 24/25 using my Amex 2-4-1 which unlocked extra seats in Club so I was lucky. If you can give any more insights into what you're looking to achieve then I'm sure the community will be able to try and help.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 9:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Sixt Platinum
Availability for one way only, Tokyo to London, has been really good throughout this spring season actually (and even last minute). So it might be worth to consider a one-way cash ticket (possibly on another (oneworld) airline) there and a BA avios reward ticket back.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 2:55 pm

Try Iberia from MAD

If you’re struggling to get BA redemption seats to Tokyo I would recommend trying Iberia from Madrid. Much lower taxes if you start your journey in MAD but obviously some inconvenience as you’d have to overnight in an airport hotel the night before - flight leaves at 12:00
I booked using my BA Companion voucher for next February and availability was good.
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by callahana
If you’re struggling to get BA redemption seats to Tokyo I would recommend trying Iberia from Madrid.
If you don't need to use an Amex or BC voucher there are other ex EU options as well such as QR from CDG.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by callahana
If you’re struggling to get BA redemption seats to Tokyo I would recommend trying Iberia from Madrid. Much lower taxes if you start your journey in MAD but obviously some inconvenience as you’d have to overnight in an airport hotel the night before - flight leaves at 12:00
I booked using my BA Companion voucher for next February and availability was good.
Possible to use BAPP 2v1 voucher on Iberia? I was under the assumption it had to be BA Metal
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:16 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by EDDLEGLL
Availability for one way only, Tokyo to London, has been really good throughout this spring season actually (and even last minute). So it might be worth to consider a one-way cash ticket (possibly on another (oneworld) airline) there and a BA avios reward ticket back.
Thats good to know as I’m planning out to Shanghai on Virgin and return from Tokyo on BA next spring
EDDLEGLL likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Metzer
Possible to use BAPP 2v1 voucher on Iberia? I was under the assumption it had to be BA Metal
Yes. they work on IB and EI now as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.