Wiki Posts
Search

New one on me! [no catering]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Hilton Diamond
New one on me! [no catering]

Waiting for the 1337 to LHR from NCL. Have just received an email stating that the aircraft is not catered and as such, no food or drink will be offered.

Travelling in CE.

What’s the norm in these circs re possible complaint? - not a major issue but Mrs Giddy far from impressed as she was looking forward to a bottle of Champers!

TIA
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Perhaps show the NCL lounge the e-mail and ask whether they have a spare bottle of champers. You’ll be the most popular person on the flight I guess😜
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:12 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
swissport may have vouchers printed and bring them to the lounge shortly. otherwise buy what you need, a claim for £15 should be paid.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
More realistically, just buy some refreshment items in NCL and send the bill to BA. There is a voucher available on FLY but it's usually difficult for NCL staff to extract it. I suspect there will be some drinks available though.
SxMan and The _Banking_Scot like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Recent experience when there was no catering (apart from Crisps and the bar) in CE LHR-EDI in Feb, which wasn't notified before departure.

I received this email after the flight, before making any kind of complaint. After I complained, I received 10k Avios.

Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by ianwall
Recent experience when there was no catering (apart from Crisps and the bar) in CE LHR-EDI in Feb, which wasn't notified before departure.

I received this email after the flight, before making any kind of complaint. After I complained, I received 10k Avios.
10k Avios at a penny each = £100. Wow, that seems high, more like CW rather than CE compensation.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:48 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by ianwall

I wonder how the automatic refund for High Life Cafe purchases is done. I've not been offered that before, in fact I once asked crew if I could take something from the Speedbird Cafe (as it was known at the time) and they said it wasn't possible.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Had the same LIS-LHR a few years back.

5K Avios pro-actively offered on board. I sent in a complaint after and got another 10K.

This was back in the days when a Club redemption could be had for around that sort of Avios, so they essentially provided a replacement flight in Club.
shefgab likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
We had advance notification the evening before that there would be no food or drinks on our flight from NCL to LHR on 12 February (BA1329 10:45 departure, CE). As it turned out there was a full bar on board and a snack basket, which my husband preferred to the usual inflight catering! I had no intention of making a complaint, as I was not going to eat anything on the flight in any case (we had eaten breakfast at our hotel, so had nothing in the lounge either).
PLeblond likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:27 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by BA or bust
10k Avios at a penny each = £100. Wow, that seems high, more like CW rather than CE compensation.
Not really. The internal cost of avios compensation rewards won't be anything like 1p. But the cost of £15 in Wetherspoons compensation may well cost them more than £15. For a lot of people avios are essentially useless. I know they used to dole out $100 BA flight coupons which I expect saw an average cost to them of less than £10, so 10k avios is essentially the same idea. FT folks may see it as a great deal, but your average punter not so much.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:30 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
Not really. The internal cost of avios compensation rewards won't be anything like 1p. But the cost of £15 in Wetherspoons compensation may well cost them more than £15. For a lot of people avios are essentially useless. I know they used to dole out $100 BA flight coupons which I expect saw an average cost to them of less than £10, so 10k avios is essentially the same idea. FT folks may see it as a great deal, but your average punter not so much.
And your average pax won't be a member of BAEC, so they join and then allow BA to sell their data.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:42 pm

I wonder if CIV is taken in to consideration when they dish out compensation.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold , Hilton Diamond
Thanks for all the helpful replies and info.

Lounge staff (as to be expected) unable to offer anything and no access to any vouchers.

BA gate staff unaware of the no catering issue (I received email re no catering literally 30 minutes prior to flight). As such, staff had no vouchers to give out.

Due to late notice, unable to purchase anything prior to flight.

Cheers
Old Mar 27, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Le Club Accor (Platinum)
Originally Posted by BA or bust
That’s one way of looking at it. Another way is this: if I hadn’t eaten in the expectation of being fed on the plane, and - upon boarding (knowing that I wouldn’t be able to eat for at least another couple of hours) - they said “would you like £100 to go hungry/thirsty”, I would personally say “no thanks; I’ll have what I have paid for and am expecting”. YMMV.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by chris87
That’s one way of looking at it. Another way is this: if I hadn’t eaten in the expectation of being fed on the plane, and - upon boarding (knowing that I wouldn’t be able to eat for at least another couple of hours) - they said “would you like £100 to go hungry/thirsty”, I would personally say “no thanks; I’ll have what I have paid for and am expecting”. YMMV.
a couple of salad leaves and a couple of bits of chicken which is what is served on that route is hardly substantial. I’d take the £100 personally. I never get this “I won’t eat for hours” business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.