Return flight to UK with Indefinite Leave to Remain

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum

Good afternoon, I am not sure that this is the right place for this question, but I always value the collective expertise of the BA forum so I thought I'd give it a try (plus I noticed a visa related question here a day or so ago anyway). The example I give is in respect of China but, as you’ll see, the scenario will apply in certain circumstances whatever the country.

My question relates to checking in at Beijing for a BA flight to London, the passenger being my wife. She is a Chinese passport holder and she also has Indefinite Leave to Remain ("ILR") in the UK. So far so good, but the issue that preoccupies me is that her ILR status is proved by her BRP (Biometric Residence Permit) which has a validity date of 31 December 2024. (Note that it is the card that expires, not her leave to remain). This is because the Home Office are moving to a E-visa arrangement to replace the "hard" BRP cards, with effect from 2025 and – for reasons that I can’t understand – decided a few years ago that all BRPs would carry an expiry date at the end of 2024 rather than being open ended as previously.

I am thinking ahead to our next trip to China and I am a bit concerned about what will happen to her at check-in to return from Beijing to the UK, in particular whether Timatic will block BA from checking her in. This scenario will obviously become more significant the nearer we get to the end of 2024, and will of course apply in every country and will concern everyone living here with ILR. I have no idea how the Home Office intend to roll out the E-visa and how this will filter through to check-in agents worldwide.

Just wondering if any of you have encountered this issue so far, and - if so - what happened. Thanks for any comments!
stephenjc and flyingcrooked like this.

Last edited by DernierVirage; Mar 27, 2024 at 1:47 pm Reason: Typos corrected
Old Mar 27, 2024, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
This should help.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/online-i...permits%20(BRP)
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stephenjc
Thanks for the link, I have read this previously, but (unless I have missed something, in which case I apologise)) it doesn't deal with the practicalities of travelling this year. What I'd hate would be for my wife to be denied boarding because of this fictitious expiry date, and to have to try to explain a new system that hasn't yet been introduced !
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:13 am

My wife is in the same position.

The UK Home Office will send an invitation out to sign up for a UKVI account later this year for everyone who holds a BRP that expires 31/12/2024.

This will contain the visa status, right to work, remain etc etc.

You will be able to share this.

I expect we'll need to print them out etc.

We are looking to travel to NZ and would be in the exact same position on Jan 1st 2025.

So far, not worried.

PS. Recent updates to that UKGov page.

21 March 2024
Added what to do if you have another physical document or a biometric residence card.

18 March 2024
Updated content to add more information about people with biometric residence permits
BA or bust likes this.

Last edited by stephenjc; Mar 27, 2024 at 11:19 am
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot - I hadn't realised that this link had been updated so I'd better go through it all again since my last reading was a while back. It's good to know someone in the same position !!!

Are you thinking of doing a trip this year? I am maybe over worrying, but am wondering what happens this year as we approach 31 December and how check in will do.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:30 am

Yeah, NZ over Xmas coming home around NY Eve, so we'd be bang smack in the middle of it.

Hopefully it's all straight forward, especially as EU Citizens have been using the eVisa and UKVI for 5 or 6 years.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Hi

Digital status has been around for a while (for example Hong Kong Nationals who have BNO status, have this electronically and it shows up on the immigration officer’s screen). Many other work visas are shown digitally as well, and EU settled Status so it’s a system that’s been around for a few years rather than a brand new system.

So I wouldn’t worry. Once it’s on the system then Timatic will pick it up.
stephenjc likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:35 am

And look on the bright side. Your partner wont need to have her passport stamped any more, which will save pages.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:03 pm

Should I be concerned that we have never heard of an eVisa? My OH has ILR status which she received in 1999. She still carries her now-expired foreign passport with her when she travels as it has the stamp in it. Does she need now to apply for the eVisa?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stephenjc

Yeah, NZ over Xmas coming home around NY Eve, so we'd be bang smack in the middle of it.

Hopefully it's all straight forward, especially as EU Citizens have been using the eVisa and UKVI for 5 or 6 years.
Thanks a lot !
stephenjc likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Saladman
Hi

Digital status has been around for a while (for example Hong Kong Nationals who have BNO status, have this electronically and it shows up on the immigration officer’s screen). Many other work visas are shown digitally as well, and EU settled Status so it’s a system that’s been around for a few years rather than a brand new system.

So I wouldn’t worry. Once it’s on the system then Timatic will pick it up.
Thanks - I guess my only worry is what happens this year when you check in with a BRP that "expires" on 31 December and whether the systems are not yet updated for the 2025 rules. But there are a lot of people in this position so that helps !!!
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Should I be concerned that we have never heard of an eVisa? My OH has ILR status which she received in 1999. She still carries her now-expired foreign passport with her when she travels as it has the stamp in it. Does she need now to apply for the eVisa?
Rather than me explain it, have a look at

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/online-i...permits%20(BRP
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: M&S Elite+
If you need a backup plan, consider getting a visa for a third country such as Türkiye ($60 and easy to get). At least then you would have another chance if things go pear shaped in China. It assumes you can get a last minute flight to IST of course. Having a backup plan may take some of the stress out of the situation, even if there is a very low chance of needing it.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DaveS
If you need a backup plan, consider getting a visa for a third country such as Türkiye ($60 and easy to get). At least then you would have another chance if things go pear shaped in China. It assumes you can get a last minute flight to IST of course. Having a backup plan may take some of the stress out of the situation, even if there is a very low chance of needing it.
Would my wife not have the same issue when she checks in for the flight from Turkey back to the UK?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:51 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
I live in the UK under ILR and have never acquired the biometric pass. I travel every week, more or less, and never travel with my stamped passport (long expired). Checking in is rarely an issue, if ever, although I am on a commonwealth passport. The only issue I’ve ever had was as Madrid, when they would not let me check in, and I did not happen to have any other flights in my bookings. This was solved by purchasing a ticket out of the UK a week later, immediately cancelled. Perhaps I am blasé as I use the e-gates, but I do find out-station staff less fastidious, with UK border staff able to access the system. Just my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.